8/06 Toeby AMBG 142, +9 124. PMBG +3 133

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Not great numbers so far today, but not awful either!

He should be below renal threshold so that takes strain off his kidneys (and most vets would LOVE those numbers!)

Hope the FortiFlora does the trick for you!

Laurasboyz likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

May I ask what the '1' in the lime green cell at 8+ is for? Looks rather alarming if that's a BG reading:rolleyes:

Laurasboyz likes this.
  4. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

my guess: it's a formula pull from the world sheet. and on the world sheet something got deleted from +8, but the usa sheet didn't update accordingly

Laurasboyz likes this.
  5. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Good NESS!
    Sorry, @Sue and Luci, that is exactly what that one was... When you make changes you have to make sure the two sheets match and in this case I missed the "1". I also think the spreadsheet opens on whichever page you had "up" last, so I try to make sure I am looking at the mmol/L one last so that IF the vet looks, she sees that, and not the US numbers.
    Good catch... I guess it goes to show people are watching!

I am a bit disheartened tonight.
    He is really not eating much and tonight I picked him up and his weight loss was obvious.
    My DH told me when we finally talked at the end of the day that while I was out Toeby barfed up his food again.
    He sat by me tonight and purred softly, but I know he's not feeling good and I feel like I am letting him down.

I will see what this vet says tomorrow: I'll tell her I don't want to try the glyburide if she mentions it again.
    I guess the only thing to do is go back on the smallest amount of insulin I can manage and see if we can get green numbers again, and hope he doesn't keep going so low?
    His BG's are not sky high, but he's not eating that much to drive them up, either.
    Or, get this vet to take him in and do more bloodwork, or she had suggested maybe an ultrasound... I just dunno...

JOJI and Kit and Sonia & Leo like this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried a "drop dose"? It's where you push the plunger in hard and then insert the needle into the insulin and just "let go"....you don't pull anything extra back. There's just enough of a vacuum that it should suck up just a tiny bit into the needle.

I know you've fooled with it, but have you actually tried it? You'd enter it as "drop" on your spreadsheet

Laurasboyz likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If he's losing weight, and not eating much, plus you've seen some vomiting, then I think it's time for a conversation with the vet. Might be worth getting his B12 and folate tested, maybe even some other diagnostics so see what's going in inside. You may need more than Fortiflora, like maybe trying an antinausea med like Cerenia (since he's vomiting) or ondansetron.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  8. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

I have tried but I will say there is one thing that bothers me with this method:
    I was pushing on the plunger quite hard to get it to compress fully so I could pick up a drop - you cannot see it, you have to believe it's in there.
    But, then I felt that when I had the needle under his skin I had to push it equally as hard to express the drop, and he didn't like it at all.
    It felt like I was hurting him.

Maybe I was doing it wrong.
    :(

Maybe the answer on the "one drop" issue is simply to buy different syringes???
    These BD syringes with the half unit markings made sense to me.

But then I read that I am not supposed to pull the plunger back and forth to expose the contents of the Lantus vial to silicone...
    And there is always a little air bubble to deal with it seems.
    Maybe the "one drop method" would be easier with a different brand of U-100 insulin syringe??
    That's an idea???

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Reason for edit: To add possible solution