8/01 Toeby AMPS 167 - gave him a drop, +2=140, +4=124, PMPS 128. Just a drop .

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Good Morning,

Yesterday's thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...drop-insulin-2-108-3-56-fell-asleep-7.232903/

Where did July go?
    Toeby seemed bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, but the air is clear, the humidity has gone and I swear that brightens the cats up.
    It's just a nice, warm, summer day.
    I decided to give him just the smallest amount of insulin I could, and see how we go.
    It's not enough that I can feel the plunger move.
    So he either got nothing, or a drop.

Last night my husband and I messed with a syringes and water and watched the caliper videos...
    I have a medical caliper with a dial, not digital, and it seems that when you get down to micro doses like drops, a lot depends more on hand dexterity and the ease the plunger will move in the syringe barrel than actual measuring.
    I can eye ball a quarter unit dose easily with the half unit marks, and probably 0.125, but when you get down to drops...

Anyway today's project is to study food charts and figure out what is low carb and medium carb.

Oh, and the vet still hasn't called.
    Day Four.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A couple of thoughts if you're not already doing this...
    • Before you draw the dose, move the plunger up and down a couple of times. There's a lubricant in the syringe and this will help to distribute the lubricant and make dosing a bit easier.
    • Turn the plunger ("dial" it vs pushing it down) to fine tune the dose
    • The best way to draw a "drop" dose is to push down as hard as you can on the plungers before inserting it into the insulin, insert the needle, then release the pressure, This should draw up a drop.
    You may want to change your signature since you're no longer dosing 0.5u.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  3. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

I do all of the first three things...
    I move it up and down, I twirl it, I dial it, I jiggle it, I do the hokey-pokey, I give the black rubber end the evil eye and try to will it into yielding, and I mutter. A lot.
    :)
    The manufacture date on the box of syringes was 2020-03 and the best before is 2025-02, so they are not old and shouldn't be gummy.

Now, I'm 60, and have the eyes and manual dexterity that go with being *ahem* experienced...
    ;)
    So.

I will change my signature immediately.

He's 140 at +2 so perhaps some insulin got aboard.

4. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Exciting day of shopping!
    Got some Ziwi Peak air dried food to try out.
    Got some new canned food types, and purchased a digital caliper for sh*ts and giggles too.
    As a betting woman, I'm guessing the beasts will turn up their noses at the fancy imported food, but we'll see...

5. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

PMPS of 128 - I gave him just a drop of insulin.
    I will check his BG's in a couple hours.
    They both seem to like the Ziwi Peak, making a liar out of me, but his brother might like it more than Toeby does.