7/8 FCC AMPS 22.8 first day of dose increase. Test when? Min. amount of food?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Acadaca, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

Hi, FCC had a curve yesterday and has had his dose increased from 1.5 to 1.75. I don't want to have to poke him too many times because he seems to be noticing it more and more of late, but I want to make sure that I check him at the appropriate times. When should he be checked after a dosage change?

Also I am finding that he isn't always inclined to eat much food just before insulin. I am removing all food sources and am not giving him big meals just before +10 (at which point he receives no food). I have tried to figure out what the minimum amount he needs is, but I am a little bit confused. He is a big boy (7.6 kg) and eventually I will try and lower his weight. He's has quite a large frame so it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Thank you!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I would get a +2 and if it’s higher than the amps just get another test between +5-7. If it’s a lot lower than the amps get a test at +4. As for how much to feed dived the daily food allotment into mini meals and feed half by nadir when the insulin is strongest. Does he need to lose weight? If so look at cat info.org t determine how many calories to safely cut back for slow weight loss.

Acadaca likes this.
  3. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

Thank you. I will follow your advice. He does need to lose weight, but I am trying not to disrupt his life too much. I thought I would try and get his diabetes somewhat under control and then focus on the weight loss. I'm also a little stuck on how to do it since I have a second cat. Still trying to problem solve. Thanks again.

4. tiffmaxee

There are auto feeders with chips in them. I’ve never used one. I had to feed my two cats separately in the past and it was not fun. My current two have to be watched while they eat as one has allergies but fortunately they finish each of their three meals in a minute or two.

Acadaca likes this.
  5. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

Unfortunately I have a senior cat who has been a grazer all her life so her food inevitably gets eaten by FCC who seems to enjoy it even more because it's hers (no actual difference). Her appetite is significantly less than his. The worst part is we don't have a door that closes properly anywhere in the house. I am sure that eventually I will figure out a solution. Thank you for the suggestions. Always appreciated.

6. tiffmaxee

You will figure it out.
    By the way you left out Acada’s name in your subject . :bighug:

Acadaca likes this.
  7. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

Oops. I left out the date too. I'll get it right one of these days.

His AMPS was 22.8 and his + 2 was 22.5 so it's neither higher nor significantly lower. Is there a suggested test time with this being the case or should I leave him alone for the day (I poked his vein and feel super terrible about it).

Thanks again.

8. tiffmaxee

You are good until pmps.

Acadaca likes this.
  9. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

Thank you