7/7 Templeton AMPS 409 Increase tonight or hold for 10 cycles

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by smorgasbord, Jul 7, 2021.

1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-6-templeton-amps-464-2-408-5-444.249519/

AMPS 409. Gave 1.5U.

Time flies, he's already had 6 cycles of the increased 1.5 dose.

Since he is new to numbers under 200, on TR, guidelines recommend holding this dose for 8-10 cycles.

But on the other hand, we've only seen 1 number below 100. Obviously he could have gotten that low overnight when not monitored, but based on his numbers, it seems unlikely.

What should I do going forward?

2. smorgasbord

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Was typing a reply when this came. :)

He is not really "new" to green. I think we can go up to 1.75U tonight (or tomorrow morning). Let's ask @tiffmaxee what she thinks.

ETA: Normally I would say hold the dose 10 cycles. But just in case the drop from 3U to 1/1.5U was too much, I am being a little aggressive with the increases.

4. smorgasbord

Hah, you're so fast.

Ahh, fascinating. Ok, so it doesn't matter if the greens are consistent, just that his body has experienced then. Got it.

Gotcha. Yeah, what is with all these 400's. I am displeased.

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Normally we are working are way up the dosing ladder and once you start seeing green, we hold the dose 10 cycles. When the cat has seen enough green at previous doses, we increase every 6 cycles. Sometimes we hold the dose a little longer to see if the greens come back after the bounce has cleared.

Templeton was clearing the bounces very fast at 3/2.75U but that dose was too high for him. Dosing is based on nadirs and not on how high they bounce or how fast they clear the bounce.

It's possible that 1.75U may be too much for him. Time will tell. Also, the effect of removal of high carb - especially dry - can take a week to affect the nuumbers. If you see Chloe's SS, the transition to FF was completed on 6/5 but it took 10 days for the numbers to improve. Of course, ECID!

Heather82372 likes this.
  6. smorgasbord

Ok, this makes sense.

Yup, he has only been off the pretzel crack for 8 days, today will be his 9th.

I took a look at Chloe's SS, she completed transition on 6/5, but she also switched insulins on 6/4...

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

@Bandit's Mom I agree with you. We had to be conservative with the food change in play. If you do increase, make sure you can monitor closely for a couple cycles in case he decides it’s too much.

Bandit's Mom and smorgasbord like this.
  8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase if you decide to do it, Joey. I'd love to see your boy out of those reds and pinks.

smorgasbord likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I suspect Templeton is still bouncing. Bounces can take six cycles to resolve. Today is cycle 4. You do not want to increase on the same cycle that he breaks the bounce as that can cause extra downward momentum. So if you see his preshot down to blues or low yellows, I'd hold off another cycle for that increase.

Bandit's Mom and smorgasbord like this.
  10. smorgasbord

Thanks all, it was good to have the day to decide what best to do. We will wait for now.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.