7/25 Taishi AMPS 391, +5 330, PMPS 378 (Day 5)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Taishi_Ci, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

Yesterday: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-24-taishi-amps-390-6-388-pmps-377-2-324-day-4.250321

Not seeing any change in Taishi's number from the insulin and wondering if it's time to bump up to 1.5. The vet had originally prescribed 2U to start, but after reading through the info here we decided that was too much. We are on Day 5 at 1U, so I'm assuming that if there is no change after today we should bump up? His numbers seem very stable at his current dose and not improving.

Woke up around 9:30 but after doing the Taishi routine I was too exhausted to function. Went back to bed for a couple hours and maybe got one extra hour of sleep. I am usually out of the house all day on Sundays (and sometimes don't get home until Monday), but we'll see what happens today. My husband has proven himself to be more than capable of handling all the Taishi stuff on his own, so it might be good for me to get out of the house a little bit <3

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Jessie, since you possibly had a furshot on 7/22, according to the tight regulation protocol you start the cycle count over on that day, so you've only been on 1 unit for 5 cycles. However, given that Taishi has such high numbers, I'm wondering if you can increase anyway by .5 units to 1.5. Here's the bit on increasing with TR from the Dosing Methods sticky:

Increasing the dose:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • Increase by 0.25 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300.
    • Increase by 0.5 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 300.
    Tagging @tiffmaxee @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Wendy&Neko for thoughts on this for tonight's shot. Also, it might help if you could edit your thread title and add the question mark from the pull down menu on the left to get more eyes on your condo.

Hope you are able to get out of the house today. It's great you have your husband to help you. I know I would not be able to do this on my own without my DBF, who loves my cats like his own. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Taishi_Ci likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would continue to hold the dose. With TR, you need at least six cycles in a row to start to build the depot, even with high flat numbers and that fur shot did restart the clock. You also saw that mid 200's the third cycle, and I suspect that was enough to cause Taishi to bounce. Bounces can take six cycles to resolve which might be some time tomorrow. So I would hold this dose tonight and tomorrow and see if that bounce breaks before seeing when and by how much to increase.

Taishi_Ci and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  4. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

Thank you so much for your guidance on this. I've heard the term "bounce", but don't really understand what it means. We were so excited to see that number in the 200s, but since he's been so high since I've figured it was a fluke. I also figured I screwed things up with the fur shot and we were essentially starting over :-( Taishi's blood work at time of diagnosis was all great... so I'm anxious to get him out of these high numbers to avoid potential organ damage and other complications. However, I understand this is a delicate process. Thank you again!

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast. The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". Usually, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...tion-of-bouncing-that-helped-gussie-i.184405/

Taishi_Ci likes this.