7/22 Oscar AMPS 546, +2 531, +6 470, PMPS 519

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by a_rose51, Jul 22, 2021.

1. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Been on insulin for 2 weeks and vet had already increased to 3 units of Lantus, up from 1 originally. On advice from a few members yesterday, staying on 1 unit for a week, then we'll see. He shot up the highest I've ever seen him (644) the morning after the 3 unit dose. I'm feeling a little frustrated and a lot stressed for my poor boy, but he's eating well and in decent spirits. I will have ketone strips later today and will start testing that.

Thanks to everyone for being here. Knowing I'm not alone helps.

Thread from yesterday: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...rea-human-and-oscar-cat-advice-wanted.250148/

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea, welcome to the Lantus forum! :)

When was Oscar switched to the LC food?

Do you have test data for the 2 weeks before this? If you do, it would be great if you could add those to the spreadsheet. Even if you could add the insulin dose you gave him for the 2 weeks, that's good. And could you also please add your name to the Signature? Thanks!

Have you thought about switching to a human meter? Much cheaper strips than the AT. If you're in Canada, the Bravo meter is an option:
    https://diabetesexpress.ca/products/bravo-meter?_pos=1&_sid=ba7c08f27&_ss=r

3. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Hi! Fully switched over for a couple of days. I believe Sunday was the last day he had dry, as he was eating Royal Canin Glycobalance as the dry for about a week before that. He had a few days of not eating and my vet basically said "feed him anything he will eat." I can definitely add in the doses, and potentially some numbers. They would be slight approximations, as my vet didn't have me testing regularly. I started more because I wanted to know. His AMPS has essentially been over 500 most days. 400 once. I will get it updated and add my name to the signature! I'm in the US, but I'm sure there are decent options. I'll look into some, but I did just order more AT strips to have on hand.

Thank you so much, Bhooma!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Added some more info and comments to SS. Numbers for early on are estimations. Last week or so is accurate. Will be testing more often, as much as I can. I will get +2 this morning and update.

5. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea and welcome!
    Oscar is a beauty and I look forward to seeing his numbers getting better.
    I used the AT meter for the first few months (stubborn), then switched to a human meter that uses a smaller drop of blood, like the AT. Many people use the Relion Prime from Wal-Mart. It requires a bit larger drop of blood, but usually works fine. And you can't beat the price.

Have a nice day:)

6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks, Andrea! Could you add this in the comments as well? You will not believe the changes in BG numbers we have seen here in cats going from prescription dry to LC wet.

I am looking forward to seeing how Oscar does with the food change! It could take a week or more for it to reflect in the numbers.

7. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Hi Jan! Thank you so much. Your Tina is gorgeous too! I look forward to that as well. I’m probably being really impatient (especially considering changes to diet, not eating early on, etc.) but I just want to see something not black or red! I’ll have to do some research on human meters. I like the idea of a small drop of blood. Sometimes I struggled getting him to hold still. And he won’t eat any treats! Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate the support.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  8. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Added! Thanks again, Bhooma! I’ll cross my fingers for a good change and try to be patient.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Anyone find that excessive gas is a side effect? I know he can get soft stool from the switch to All wet food, but the poor guy is a walking cloud right now.