6/8 Loudogg Update 9-year FD Anniversary!

Amanda and a Loudogg

Member Since 2017
Five-Year Anniversary Post

Hello everyone!
I cannot believe I have not been on the board in forever! I had to do a double-take when I saw that my last post was Lou's 5-year anniversary post!! I am sorry it's been so long! I don't keep up with the spreadsheet anymore, but I did enter the last week or two of data just for old time's sake.

My sweet buddy Lou is still doing wonderfully! I still cannot believe he's been diabetic for NINE years now. It feels like both no time and forever. He is still on Levemir, staying pretty steady at 0.5u. We have him pretty regulated, which I am thankful for every day. He's been more sensitive to food here and there, just extra portions/calories, not even higher carb food. He likes to keep us on our toes, but if that's all the shennanigans he's shennaniganning, I will absolutely take it! He's still healthy, despite being 18-19 years old. He's avoided kidney problems so far and I am incredibly thankful for that as well. The only sad news we have about him is that he's gone completely deaf. He likes to yodel even louder now and really get his merows ringing off the walls whenever he's able, haha. I have started using hand signals (waving, etc.) more so that he can hopefully know I'm not ignoring him. He reminds us that he's an old man in other ways, like sleeping so deeply he startles awake. Then he assumes it must be time to eat, haha.

My civvie Bella is also still alive and well at 19-20. She's still just a shade heavier than a walking skeleton, but I'll take it! She still has the exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI), so she gets stomach enzymes mixed in with most of her food. She's on gabapentin, enzymes, and she also decided to become hyperthyroid, because she wasn't on enough medicines, haha. Thankfully she only gets those meds one time per day and I'm able to grind that pill up with her gaba and mix it into her wet food. I could not imagine trying to pill her multiple times a day. She's cranky enough as it is, haha. She had a pretty bad yeast infection in her ears that I am not sure if it has completely gone away despite treating it twice. She's lost her hearing as well, which is also sad because she's always been a talker. I kind of hope that it's her ears acting up again and not permanent, but she still talks to me all the time, even if she can't hear me talking back.

There have been quite a few changes for me as well (hence the not keeping up with the spreadsheet or posting here). I went back to school and earned my bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Science (I had a 2-year associate's degree). I recently left my job of nearly 12 years and moved to the lab at my local Veteran's Association Hospital!! It feels crazy to be the "new girl" after so long, but considering the change came months after getting my degree, it seemed like the best time to make the switch! I've been enjoying working in a larger lab with more than 1 coworker.

I hope you and your kitties are doing well! I know how hard this dance can be, and I am sending hugs to you and scritches to all of your extra sweet kitties!! Keep up the amazing work my friends!!
:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Much love,
Amanda, Loudogg, and Bella
 
Hello Amanda, I've been wondering what ever happened to Lou and you. Welcome back for the visit. :bighug::bighug::bighug:. Pass a few scritches onto Lou from me. Sorry about his hearing loss, but it sounds like he's otherwise doing fab for a very long term diabetic. Ugh on the EPI for Bella.

How's your Levemir supply? Especially since no longer able to purchase in North America. There was someone on the Supply Closet forum trying to find a home for some.

Congrats on the new job, I hope it's a fun and fulfilling one for you.

Tagging @Seth&Bell who also has an IAA only kitty. We actually have a couple others around now, though not on as often.
 
Amanda and Lou 😍, so nice to see an update! Sorry the kitties have hearing issues, but they are lucky to have you caring for their senior years :bighug:. Glad you been able to continue with Lev, you must have a stockpile lol. Sounds like your career change is a wonderful thing, enjoy the newness of it, especially since it sounds like it is very rewarding! Sending lots of extra bum pats for Lou :cat:
 
Thank you for the tag, Wendy!

Amanda, Lou's spreadsheet gives me a lot of hope! Bell and I have been at this for about 2 years, and it has been a real challenge getting any sort of consistency in her numbers. A lot of literal ups and downs that look a whole lot like Lou's spreadsheet in the early days. It was like a switch was flipped mid April 2019 for him! That must have been one lucky chicken bone he got into on 4/19 :p .

Thank you for sharing this, and I'm so glad that your Bella and Lou are doing well outside of the hearing and EPI. :bighug:
 
What an accomplishment. Congrats. Kudos to you for doing all the stuff that comes with FD for so long. And progressing professionally at the same time. Such a great update!
 
Hello Amanda, I've been wondering what ever happened to Lou and you. Welcome back for the visit. :bighug::bighug::bighug:. Pass a few scritches onto Lou from me. Sorry about his hearing loss, but it sounds like he's otherwise doing fab for a very long term diabetic. Ugh on the EPI for Bella.

How's your Levemir supply? Especially since no longer able to purchase in North America. There was someone on the Supply Closet forum trying to find a home for some.

Congrats on the new job, I hope it's a fun and fulfilling one for you.

Tagging @Seth&Bell who also has an IAA only kitty. We actually have a couple others around now, though not on as often.
Hiya Wendy!!! Has Levemir been discontinued in Canada also? I've still been getting my Levemir from Marks Marine Pharmacy. I think I got my last shipment late last year, possibly early this year. A box of 5 pens usually lasts me the full 2 years with some leftover. Gosh I hope they haven't stopped, 'cause I would hate to change him now!!

That's crazy! IAA only kitties were so rare, I'm sad that there are more of them out there of course, but I can't help but at least being happy that they are testing for it.
 
Thank you for the tag, Wendy!

Amanda, Lou's spreadsheet gives me a lot of hope! Bell and I have been at this for about 2 years, and it has been a real challenge getting any sort of consistency in her numbers. A lot of literal ups and downs that look a whole lot like Lou's spreadsheet in the early days. It was like a switch was flipped mid April 2019 for him! That must have been one lucky chicken bone he got into on 4/19 :p .

Thank you for sharing this, and I'm so glad that your Bella and Lou are doing well outside of the hearing and EPI. :bighug:
Hiya Seth! I am so sorry to hear about Bell's IAA, but I am glad you are aware of it. It ended up making so much sense for Lou's all over numbers after his diagnosis. As I am sure Wendy has mentioned, Lou was one of the "lower-dose" high-dose IAA kitties. It seemed going up to 4.0 units was the switch he needed to start overwhelming those autoantibodies. It's always felt like hitting the right dose for Lou helps get his diabetes on track, and then he'll cruise along at that dose for a while before something derails him again. I feel like his pancreas is so close to figuring out what to do, but it caaan't quite get there. Oh well, he makes a great ambassador for looong term diabetic kitties, haha.

What's hilarious is the fact that I actually remember those chicken bones!!!! How can they be so memorable in such a long diabetic history is crazy. I think they were Indian-spice-flavored drumsticks, which apparently were extra tasty to him. I still laugh at how he managed to find not one but TWO drumsticks when I thought we had been so good at not leaving food out!! (He had to have lulled us into complacency, haha.)

I wish you and Bell nothing but the best in your journey! :bighug:
 
That is so funny about the bones 😁

Thank you so much! The proof is in the SS as to how great you've done with Lou. Really appreciate you sharing your experience
 
Sadly yes, I think UK and/or Europe might have it the rest of this year. You can always check with Marks for the final end date.
Oh my gosh!! How did I not realize this?!!? :arghh::arghh::arghh: Thanks for the info Wendy! I will look into this further. I have no idea how he'd do moving to another insulin this late in the game. :blackeye:
 
Back
Top