6/10 Pearl PMPS 90, +3.25 87, +4.25 83 food change

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Jun 10, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

So far so good and we start on the new food today - Essence Ranch and Meadow. It's got all safe ingredients for her, so I hope this will work: https://essencepetfoods.com/recipes/cats/essence-original/wet/ranch-meadow/

She seems to love it, I am SO THANKFUL. Hope I don't jinx it or her progress down the insulin ladder. The only worry - it's a 7% carb food (her usual is 3%, ultra carb sensitive). I hope in time I can mix in something like a 0% duck and bring the carb count down per meal.

Surf safely kitties.

Yesterday's post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-9-pearl-pmps-91-3-25-72-4-84.248404/#post-2802017

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

YAY for yummy new food for Pearl! Hope she takes to it and it doesn't cause higher BGs. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret, I'm glad Pearl likes the new food and it doesn't influence those lovely greens. Good idea about mixing the duck in eventually.
    Have a good day Margaret :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Looking great so far Pearlie!!
    It’s funny how excited we get when kitty likes their food! It is so deflating when we study so hard to find the healthiest food, then our beloved just sniffs, then stares back into our eyes, like what is THIS?
    Poor Pearl had her “perfect” food just pulled off the market Grrrr.
    Crossing paws, this whole changeover goes without a hitch!
    Down to 1.25 units :smuggrin::D

5. Margaret (and Pearl)

omg they even pulled the 3oz cans?! Wellness kept telling me the 5.5oz cans were leaving but 3oz staying, but could never give me an estimate of when the 3oz would be back on the shelves.

you know I realized I was calculating based on GA so maybe the new food is lower than 7% we will see. It’s such a new food the company is still working in getting that data together from their nutritionists.
    Thanks for the wishes!

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad she likes the new food. Nice surfing today.

7. Margaret (and Pearl)

thank you @Diane Tyler's Mom @PerfumedCatMom @carfurby She is doing ok on the food tonight too. Some eating on her own, some wanting me to finger feed, but at least there is interest. Fingers are crossed!!

8. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Oh Margaret :bighug: I didn't know Wellness was stopping production all together of the beef :eek: I feel like Pearl doesn't' do well with chicken (?) but in the off chance she does, Petco has a brand called Soulistic - it's a pate by Weruva made only for Petco - the Chicken and Chicken/Turkey are around 5% (yay for ME profiles ;) https://www.soulisticpet.com/nutritional-information-pate) - I just started feeding to my picky civvie :p he enjoys it (for now :rolleyes:).

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

I am not positive yet the 3% cans are forever gone - I will call Wellness again tomorrow for an update and ask them directly whether they have decided to discontinue altogether. I so hope not.

Yeah, Pearl can't do chicken or fishes (or fish oils), but thank you for the tip. She is also super-picky (doesn't really think she is a cat, or a human, so it's often really hard to find any food that works). She can technically do rabbit, quail, duck, turkey, venison, lamb, beef, and pork. Of those, she doesn't really like poultry and maybe is tired out on rabbit (many years on rabbit). If there is any vegetable in the food staring at her, she looks at me like I am an enemy. And if the consistency isn't right, she just turns away and won't even look in my direction.

JaxBenji likes this.