6/1 Tessa AMPS 300 +3 236 +6 183 +9 251 PMPS 300 +2 316

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tessa's mom, Jun 1, 2024.

1. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Previous: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-174-8-232-pmps-304-2-295-3-256-4-248.290631/

Woke up to 2 giant hairballs where Tessa sleeps (on an old pillow with a decorative pillowcase on it). I had to throw her pillowcases in the wash and she is not happy about her favorite spot being disturbed.

Tessa is also suddenly nervous about getting her insulin. Yesterday morning she flinched when I gave her insulin. I initially thought that I hit muscle but after reviewing the numbers for yesterday, I don't think that's the case. She did move as I gave her the shot so I think maybe it hurt as it went in.

Now this morning she kept turning around looking at me while I was getting ready to give her insulin. I let her move and then would tent the skin and then she'd move again and turn to look at me. When I finally gave the insulin she jerked a little bit. I know that the bevel was up and it went in quick and straight so I don't know why the needles are suddenly bothering her. I did just open a new bag from the box I had been using, maybe they're defective? I might try opening a new bag just to see if that helps.

The only other thing I can think of is shot location. I was shooting closer to the center of the scruff but yesterday and today I was trying more to the right of her scruff. Maybe that area is just uncomfortable to shoot in? I'll try a different area this evening and see if that helps.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Does she flinch when you poke her or when the insulin goes in? Lantus at much higher doses can sting but there are cats who react to the sting at lower doses as well.

3. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Now that you mention it, I think it's when the insulin goes in but I could be misremembering. Weird that it started on the second day of 1.5u and not the first though. And I don't remember her having issues last time and she got up to 2u.

I think I'll have my husband give insulin tonight so I can record and have a record of what is going on. I would have him record but he's terrible with a camera lol.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you holding the syringe so the bevel is up on the needle when inserted? Picture in here: Hometesting Links and Shooting Tips

I held the syringe for some time to try to warm up the insulin a bit.

5. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Yep. I always make sure it's facing up so it's as comfy as possible going in. I will try warming up the syringe between my fingers too in case it's just the cold that is bothering her.

6. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

I had this problem also with Binie and I found out that I used the same spots too often and she got some hard skin there. After I changed that it got much better again. Maybe this is not what is happening with Tessa but I just wanted to mention it. I know this is unsettling. I hope you find the twist which works with Tessa. Good luck! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Thanks! I don't know if this is the case with her or not since I just started shooting in this location. It might just be that the center of the scruff is her ideal location even if I shoot there a lot because that's what we had been doing before trying to shoot to the right of her scruff. I can't remember exactly how we did things when she was on insulin before but I vaguely remember having issues when trying to shoot other locations.

8. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

I keep my fingers crossed you find out what bothers her and things come back to normal. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

tessa's mom likes this.
  9. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

I gave her her PM shot in the usual spot (center of scruff) and she didn't flinch or act nervous at all. I did warm the syringe up between my fingers while my husband got her food together so it's possible it was just too cold this morning but I think it's more likely to be a location thing. I'm going to just stick to the spot I've been using since it hasn't bothered her thus far. I need to remember that you shouldn't try to fix what's not broken.

On another note it looks like she's due for another increase. I got my calipers set up for 1.75u in the morning. I'm happy that we're seeing more blues finally, maybe we can get to some lower blues and hopefully stop going all the way up to pink afterwards.

Heike & BInie likes this.