5/9 Celia AMPS 311, +4 300, +7 303, PMPS 209, +2.50 268,

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Angie & Celia (Cruz), May 9, 2023.

1. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

Angie & Celia (Cruz) Member

Newbie here. Yesterday was her 1st day on Gargline (0.5U/2x daily to start due to my fears, although vet prescribed 1U/2x daily).
    5/8 Celia AMPS 421, +2 334, +4 227, +7 225, PMPS 251, +4.5 191
    What exactly are we looking for in these daily numbers? And is it true trends are impossible due to diet, exercise, other illnesses, etc.?
    And what is the goal or what signifies remission in them? Regarding my #'s, Does anything look abnormal? Because I was off work yesterday and took off work today so she wouldn't be alone, but can't do it tomorrow so I'm really worried.

Carole & Indigo likes this.
  2. Carole & Indigo

Carole & Indigo Well-Known Member

Welcome Anjee!!:cat:

Angie & Celia (Cruz) likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Anjee, welcome to the LBL forum.

Looks like Celia has had a good initial reaction to Lantus. You will need to wait a week for the initial Lantus depot to build. The higher numbers you are seeing today are her body's reaction to the lower numbers from last night. We call it bouncing.

Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

There is a ton of information here:
    The Basics: New to the Group? Start here!

Was Celia on a different insulin before Lantus?

In terms of her numbers, your goal is first regulation and then hopefully remission. The normal range for BG with a human meter is 50-100 mg/dl. The more time she spends in these numbers, the more her pancreas get an opportunity to heal. A cat is considered to be in remission if it stays in normal numbers for 2 weeks without insulin.

Tagging @Bron and Sheba (GA) who helped you out in Main/Health forum.

4. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

Thank you!

Carole & Indigo likes this.
  5. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

Thank you so much, will save that info. No, this is her first ever insulin. DX 3/2023 Vet had her start with food change, then biweekly curves, in which I wasted 2 months giving her food from the vet's list that wasn't even LC come to discover! But from what I'm learning here: what's new?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

Should I be worried: this morning she just reached her lowest ever (154 at +5) & its only her 4th day on insulin?. So scared it will go way lower or worse when I'm not home.

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

154 is probably her nadir or close to it. And it's comfortably over the normal range of numbers.

Angie & Celia (Cruz) likes this.