5/9 Binie AMPS 422, + 3 409, +6 324, +9 407

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heike & BInie, May 9, 2024.

1. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Last post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...500-3-500-6-491-new-dose.289730/#post-3177273

Good evening,

Binie is still not well. She is staying most time of the day in my bed. She is eating but most of the time I have to motivate and handfeed her. She is not interested to go out or to even sit in the open window, which she usually likes so much. I am really worried.

The bg was horribly high after the increase to 3 IU. I am not sure if it is because of the inflamation or because her liver reacts to the increase. Seems like tonight she is going a bit more down.

Thank god so far the ketones stayed in a higher than usual but still moderate range. I hope it stays like that and she doesn't need fluids at the vet.

Somehow it is difficult to get blood for the ketone tests at the moment. Sometimes she is not bleeding enough and sometimes there is no drop but the blood is all over the fur and I can't soak the strip anymore. I cleaned her ears after she got Mirataz in the hospital but maybe it changed something.

I stopped giving the Mirataz after the helpful advice from @Wendy&Neko, that it could produce food aversions. My vet agreed 100 % and wrote us a script for ondasetron. I wonder what is the right dose for a cat. My vet said 1/2 tablet 1-2 times a day. 1/2 tablet sounds a bit much for me, as human adults should take only 1 tablet every 12 hours. I gave her a quarter tablet now (two times a day) and hope that is right.

I hope everyone is having a safe and calm night! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Heike, I’m so sorry to hear Binie isn’t feeling well. Hopefully once the new dose settles she will see better numbers.

I’m glad the ketones are staying in a better range. But sorry to hear it’s been difficult to get the blood test. I sometimes have the same issue, the blood just blends into the fur on Ivy’s ear and I can’t get a good bead to test. Very frustrating.
    I always try to warm the ear first with a rice sock or warm water in a pill bottle then I rub my fingers on her ear, too.

I know it’s so hard when they don’t have much interest in food. I also spend a lot of time moving the bowl over to Ivy to show her she needs to eat. And many times she will eat from a spoon. It’s hard work.
    I’m sending you positive and healthy eating vibes and hoping Binie will eat better for you. Wishing you a calm night ahead and better numbers tomorrow.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Heike & BInie likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ondansetron is 0.5-1.0 mg/kg of cat, up to 4 times a day. It doesn't last that long in a cat. You can start with 3 times a day. If the tablet is 4mg (common size) then that is 2 mg you are giving and good for the low end of a 4 kg cat. You don't want to underdose.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I meant to mention - if you have the nausea under control with the right dose of ondansetron, it's OK to give Miritaz too, but I'd do it half hour after the ondansetron.

5. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much for the encouragement Staci! :bighug::bighug::bighug: I will try the rice sock this weekend. So far I tried to massage her ears but she is not very fond of it and sometimes she is so annoyed about it that it even gets more difficult to prick her ear. Maybe the sock makes it easier. Today I had to prick her three times to get enough blood for the ketone test. We have been both stressed out about it. :banghead:

I really hope Ivy eats well today and the spoon is not needed. Sometimes I wonder if the kittys just start to enjoy this extra of attention. Hope you have a relaxed day and a good night sleep! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  6. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Wendy, that helps a lot! We have the 8 mg tablet and as Binie is a 7 kg cat half a tablet sounds reasonable. And thank you for mentioning the combination with Mirataz and the time gap between them. That makes absolutely sense to me. My vet didn't mention that.

7. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Try all the tricks, Heike. I have the same problems you do. I had to poke Ivy several times today and that blood just disappeared in her ear fur. And she just gets angrier with me for more pokes. I feel your pain.
    I do think they like the added attention catering to them. It’s good for them, but harder on us.
    I hope you have a good night ahead with Binie feeling much better.
    Hugs to both of you :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Ahhhh... so sorry you had to get through this on a day with such an active cycle! I read some people use petroleum jelly to prevent the blood to disappear in the fur. I tried that a few days ago and the first time it worked well but I didn't mangage to clean the grease from her ear and I felt the next time it was even harder to keep the blood in a bead. But maybe it works on Ivy? Also sending hugs for Ivy and you from Germany! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.