5/8 Evey AMPS 112 +11 104 PMPS 121 +1 95 +2 119 +3 94

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Evey, May 8, 2024.

1. Evey

Evey Member

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes. She didn't earn a reduction by dropping below 50, so you stay with 0.5U.

112 is not very different from 121 if you consider meter variance and you shot 0.5U yesterday morning. :)
    Even if you skip or give a token dose, the (higher) depot continues to affect the first part of the cycle.

3. Evey

Evey Member

Last couple times when her blood sugar was at 52 on Libre, I tested her with a hand-held glucose meter anf the readings were 50 or 48. I think Libre is not that accurate at low numbers. But I couldn't test her during, so I guess I can only based on what what Libre showed me. Anyway, I gave her 0.5U tonight.

When I was talking to people in another local support group, they mentioned that it's hard and not that healthy for elderly cats to achieve the same BG level as younger cats. Younger diabetic cats can maintain BG below 5. For elderly cats, it's ok and reasonable to have BG level around 7. They said the normal BG levels for a health old cat and a young cat are different. Is it true?

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I don't think this is true. My non-diabetic cat who is 16 years old tested 52 the other day.

@Wendy&Neko

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I don't know where this other support group gets their data, it's not what we've seen here.

When current kitty was diagnosed with small cell lymphoma, I tested her before starting prednisolone, cause I wanted her baseline - 49. :D Six years later, she still tested under 90 on her more recent lab work. I've also tested a friend's cat who was peeing more (BG of 53) - 18 years old and coming down with CKD, clearly not diabetic. Neko's buddy who also was going on pred - 52. He tended to test in the 70's while on pred. One of our members had a kitty who passed recently at age 25, had CKD for many years, first diagnosed diabetic 9 years prior but in remission - I saw as low as 47 on his SS but more typically in the 50-70's range. That was while in his 20's. Another kitty who passed end of last year, age 18, diabetic but in remission, was hyperthyroid, also went from the upper 40's to mid 70's.

There are reasons we say that the normal BG range of a cat is 50-80.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Evey

Evey Member

Thank you for explaining it, Wendy~ I'm really appreciated. I hope my fur fur girl can get to this range soon~