5/8 - Aria

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Hey all! We had some weirdness, so I'm looking for advice. Last night she hit 158 after 7 days of no shot readings (and always getting at least 1 green in each cycle.) Can I say Mama heaven? Each time, she seems to be going longer, so all is good over here. Since she hit 158, I gave her the .1 unit.

I'm wondering if maybe I dosed a little higher than .1 units. Sometime last night, one of the girls vomited up their dinner into the cat food. So neither would eat it (obviously, eww!) and were starving at 6 am. I fed them and they cleared the plate. Left another two cans for them this afternoon and that was cleared by the time I came home. Just tested her at +11 and we got a 168.

Since Ari has never had any hypo signs, is vomiting a minor hypo sign? Could it be possible that when I gave her the shot I did more harm than good and we're seeing weirdness today due to the shot, vomit and then lack of food.

And since we're on the subject, I mean I get that at least she didn't vomit on my pillow, but seriously... the food bowl!! That's just nasty!!

Right now I'm holding the shot to do some research. I tried to get her to eat some dinner to see if we could get her body to kick back in gear. If our happy two weeks of goodness if over, so be it, but I don't want to do something to screw up the progress. Yep, back to my "Don't breathe, you might rock the boat" moments. And yes, I do remember that I would have seriously injured a bad person in the last few months to get a number at 168.

Thanks all!

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about possibilities for you guys..... Could it possibly be that a whole evening without food (since someone nom and vomed) caused Ari's pancreas to not be stimulated enough to keep her numbers down? A spot check to double check for low #s and a little help with those 0.1u bits you have been giving might be enough to heal up the pancreas enough to get it going on its own again. Just an idea :D When you are so close to otj you can taste it - it must be so annoyingly tedious to deal with small bumps like this!

3. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

An hour later and we're up to 185. So we've definitely got a rising #'s situation, although not rapidly rising. Going to give her a little more time then I'll shoot if need be. Was hoping to be able to wait until morning so I could monitor her, but if it goes over 200, she's getting the shot regardless of the time. She ate about a 1/2 hour ago, although only a few bites. I'm going to see if I can get a mini nap and I'll check back in.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd be jumping on that and keeping those numbers down.

I don't *think* vomiting is a sign of hypo. Cats puke for all sorts of stupid reasons - they wouldn't be cats if they didn't. My belief the most common cause of barfing is under grooming. I found especially for long hairs people are not aggressive enough in the combing process and thus do not get enough hair out. And grooming should be done at least once a week. I've typed up instructions for "deep grooming" on the old site. IMHO, if the grooming is done properly they should be barfing infrequently [less than once a month probably]. In my case H was barfing about once ever other week and I did not follow up on it. I thought it was "scarf and barf" which based on my own experience I don't believe so much in as a phenomena these days. Not saying it isn't a real thing, just my vision is colored.

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Well, I let her go last night only because I really want to be able to monitor after a shot. For her midnight check, she was at 150 and this morning at 8 am she was at 151. She's eating right now, so I'm going to let that settle in and test. If she still is at 150 then I'll shoot as she seems to be hovering.

Gator - this vomit was all food stuff and no hair. Just nasty stuff. Blech! Looked like someone mixed some water in their food and poured it on top of the dish.

Basically I can almost guarantee a shot in the next few hours. I just want to be sure and make sure I'll be able to monitor. Thanks for the help, guys!

6. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

If Aria is staying in the mid to high blue numbers AND eating w/o barfing - then shooting some insulin to try to get Aria into green is what I would do, too. A few times Blue Cat zoomed into those numbers the past week, but went back green an hour or two after feeding.

Also, it looks as if you've changed her food lately. I'm not familiar with Sophisticat, but make sure there are no dyes or other nasties that Aria may not like. For instance, I can not give Blue any FF Salmon flavors with red dye in it or he pukes it up. Good luck.

7. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

That's a good point Steve. Our goal is to mix her FF that she eats well with something that has lower phosphorous. The first one gave both girls diarrhea. The last one she wouldn't touch. This is try #3. I may just switch her back to FF all the time and see how her kidneys hold up. She eats that (the Chicken Feast only) very well.

She hit 193 so I gave her the shot. Will do some spot checks today and see how she does.

8. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I hope you see some green tomorrow! Do you remember which food Arie threw up? I am now finding that if I can get Pru to eat every 6 to 8 hours her numbers stay low. Then again, she'll do great for a certain period of time.... then all of a sudden I can't figure out what's up. :-|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.