5/29 - Zen - AMBG 50 - Skipped morning dose - | +2 74 | +5 70 | +8 106 | PMPS 91

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Emily + Zen, May 29, 2021.

1. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Yesterday's thread

Zen did weirdly well on .75U with his vet visit yesterday. We didn't have to chase him to spoon feed him, either. I'm thinking of keeping the .75U today to see if he stays green and we can start to get him to feed himself again by just keeping the food near him throughout his day. Not sure if it'll stick, but one way to find out! We dose in about 15 minutes.

He's definitely allergic to the Friskies salmon. Oh my goodness...his blood sugar didn't get high enough to justify the horrors that awaited me in that litter box...which is really unfortunate, because salmon is his absolute favorite. But, c'est la vie. We'll find something else he likes. For now, we stick to DM and Tiki Cat's chicken+pumpkin senior mousse!

Starting him on fortiflora today. He *loves* the taste of it, and hopefully that along with the pumpkin in the Tiki Cat senior Mousse makes his stomach happier and less sensitive.

-------------------------------

EDIT: We were about to shoot and he scanned at 46. So we did an ear an ear prick and he's at 50 this morning. I have two questions:

1. Given that he was at .75U yesterday because of his low pre-shot and the vet visit, do we keep him at .75U, or drop him to .5 today? I assume we stay at .75 because of the depot, but let me know what you all think.
    2. We're stalling to watch his numbers come up, but we already fed. (I guess that's not so much a question as just a, "that's the best thing to do here, right?")
    -------------------------------

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  2. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

No advice from me (I'm a newbie) but he sure looks good. Curious to see what his +1 will be.

Emily + Zen likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You are right about the 1U depot being at play. I would the hold the 0.75U today.
    Did you shoot or skip?

4. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

We just re-scanned and did an ear prick and he's still at 50. Going to give it another 15 minutes and hopefully he comes up to a shootable place. If he doesn't, I'm thinking we still want to give him *something* today, but probably nothing near his usual dose, right? Don't we try to still administer at least .25U in these instances? Edit: nevermind, just re-read the doc. We'll keep testing and the second he starts to rise, we'll catch it with .75U. We just gave him a tsp of Savory Selects, so we should see a bump in a couple of minutes here.

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

If he is still 50 after a meal, I would skip. How long is it since his shot time?

ETA: You don't want to shoot him based on a food bump after a higher carb meal because he could come down after the carbs wear off!

Emily + Zen likes this.
  6. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

He's eaten about half a can of DM pate (so basically two meals), as well as 1 tsp of Savory Selects. He's finally testing at 64. But yes, it's a food bump, likely from the Savory Selects, which is 10% carb (higher than typical for him).

He was supposed to get his shot a little over 1 hour ago. I feel like, if we're going to shoot this morning, we need to do it now, but given his levels and what Bhooma just said, I think maybe we skip this morning, stick to the really low-carb food, and monitor.

7. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Thank you, @Bandit's Mom ! He's playing, purring, and no longer drooling from being a little hypoglycemic mess. :bighug: Appreciate the help this morning!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Good choice to skip the dose. Yes, you are not supposed to feed when "stalling" because it influences the true number. Zen is looking very good. Glad he didn't drop from that 50.

Emily + Zen likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It was a good call to skip. It will be interesting to see where his bg is at +3-4 and throughout the day after skipping. I would continue the .75 as the 1.0 depot is in play.

Emily + Zen and Bandit's Mom like this.
  10. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Nice work! Hope the day goes well.

Emily + Zen likes this.
  11. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Nice call on the skip. I would have done the same.

Emily + Zen likes this.
  12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Have you tested since AMPS?

13. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Thank you all!!! :bighug:

Zen remained super level with one little venture into blue at +8 and +9. He's only had low carb / no carb food today (half a can of LC this morning, and then what I believe to be no-carb mousse (still waiting to hear back from Tiki Cat) in the middle of the day. He just got .75U about half an hour ago and finished another helping of the no-carb Tiki Cat mousse. We'll be giving him the other half-can of DM pate with forti-flora before bed, and if he needs a little boost, we'll give him some Savory Selects. The depot kept him low today, and hopefully we haven't depleted it too much to be helpful tomorrow/Monday.

So grateful for the guidance from everyone today! Thank you!!! And Zen sends snuggles of gratitude. <3

[​IMG]

JaxBenji likes this.
  14. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Nice cycle for the skip :cat:

Since you skipped, you would write in your title AMBG - AM Blood Glucose - instead of AMPS - AM Pre-Shot).

My (unofficial) two-cents is zen may be asking for a reduction soon though you are so very vigilant and I'm sure will handle it with ease :bighug:

Hope you had a good day, Emily!

Emily + Zen likes this.
  15. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Susanne! :bighug: Updated the thread title. And I'm wondering the same about the dose. Hopefully we all understand what he's looking for as he adjusts over the next few days to yesterday's reduction. I think he holds onto doses for about 4 days, so we're hoping he holds safely steady and a re-evaluation is straightforward. One day at a time! :confused:

JaxBenji likes this.