5-28 Raven Dose reduction PMPS 49 yesterday

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SophieFRA, May 28, 2023.

1. SophieFRA

SophieFRA Member

Hi all,

I haven’t posted in a while. Raven’s BG readings have been stable at 3.5u in blue/green range over the last 2+weeks and then green only in the last few days (stablelized by medium carb food as needed) until yesterday when my cat sitter was checking in on Raven. Yesterday he had am AMPS of 102 (likely inflated by medium carb I left in the timed feeder while I was away). Since she was working with outdated instructions from me and was not staying she only gave him half a dose (1.75u). I would have expected that to result in a higher number for his PMPS but instead he was at 49 last night at PMPS. I asked her to skip the dose since I wasn’t going to be home and things seemed out if whack already. This morning he’s at 150 and I gave him a 0.25 dose reduction (3.25u). I’ll be monitoring him.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why he would have dropped to 49 after receiving half a dose following a higher than usual PMPS? I am puzzled. Tyia!

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-14-raven-amps-71-1-80.277525/

@Wendy&Neko @Bandit's Mom @Chris & China (GA) @Margaret (and Pearl)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

First of all, we call it either PMBG (blood glucose) or +12 when we didn't shoot. PMPS (preshot) means you shot, and we don't shoot below 50. Which the petsitter did not, so all good. Just don't want people worrying about a PMPS of 49.

So, theories on the 49 or lower than expected number. First, too little blood on the meter strip can produce a low number. Did petsitter retest that 49? Second, the depot can influence 4-6 cycles after a reduction. On a somewhat related question, what dose was shot the PM of 5/24? The answer could impact the depot. Third - did he eat well during the day? Reduced food intake could be a factor and some cats don't eat as well without their staff (caregiver) at home. Fourth, yesterday could have been a bounce breaking cycle that has it's own downward momentum built into it. Or a combo of all the above.
    Not sure which cycle you are referring to as the higher than usual PMPS, so can't answer that part.

3. SophieFRA

SophieFRA Member

Thanks for the clarificationon PMPS vs PMBG. It’s all a bit complicated to explain in writing. But hopefully the spreadsheet helps to visualize.

On the low PMBG of 49. The sitter measured again 15 mins later and it was 48. So it seems like an accurate measurement.

The PM dose for 5/24 was 3.5 as usual. Just forgot to add it to spreadsheet. Constant dose of 3.5 until yesterday AMPS when sitter cut it in half. I would not have cut the dose given the AMPS 102 reading but my instructions (from days when he had higher numbers did say that - I just wanted to play it safe).

On the food intake, he left part of his 10am (+3) food uneaten in the cycle before his +12 value of 49 - according to my sitter. He gets raw rabbit food at +1, +3, +6, and +9. Usually frozen fresh raw but given the rising temperatures I started giving freeze dried rabbit for +9.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  4. SophieFRA

SophieFRA Member

Oh and with this I just meant that the 102 AMPS was actually higher than he’s recently had with numbers below 100. But this may be due to meter variance as well as the MC food I added given PMPS on 5-26 of 69. It just addec to my surprise that a higher AMPS and a half dose would lead to the lowest ever PMBG.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good thing the petsitter retested the 49, that's a common error. But we can rule it out.

It's within meter error, so not significant.