? 5/28 Ivy, BG Dropping Fast After PM Shot PMPS 183, 105 +1.5 93 +2.5, 91 +3, 153 +3.5

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Staci & Ivy, May 28, 2023.

1. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-27-ivy-broke-leg-43-50-libre-very-low-bg-am.277981/
    Ivy broke her leg yesterday, had it splinted, dropped BG very fast on way to hospital. Gave no Lantus yesterday am before going to hospital at their direction.
    She bottomed in mid 40’s on Libre device ( couldn’t cross check as we were driving.)
    She will have surgery to repair Tuesday 5/30/23.

Last night at home gave a.25 reduced dose and she went higher but then back down to yellow overnight. Late this afternoon blues. As soon as I fed dinner and shot of 3.5 units Lantus tonight she started dropping and has been dropping for past hour and half.
    I have been giving small tsp of her lc food and a few times gave a tsp of med 13% carb. She got down to 105 and still dropping on Libre. If she gets to 50s I will cross check with Contour One Meter ear prick.

I just gave tsp med carb with a touch of Karo syrup and she’s at 127 10 minutes later.
    She seems very insulin sensitive since her steep drop yesterday, probably from the trauma of the leg break.
    Although, she had been dropping the night before last, then broke leg, then sharp drop after leg break.

She was extremely hungry at dinner tonight, kind of unusual.
    She’s at 102 now, still dropping (on Libre)
    Just gave another tsp mc food with dab of Karo, no great increase yet, at 106.
    Now at +2 she’s 96.

Suggestions? Do I keep her dose same tomorrow? Very worried, thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Keep her a bit hungry, don't fill her up this early in the cycle. You may need her to eat later. Go for more carbs rather than calories.

Looks like she's clearing a bounce. Quickly which is good, not so good that it's at night.

Too early to tell if she's earning a reduction tonight. Bounce clearing cycles can be more active. 106 (or 105 per SS), isn't a lot different from 97 (which is what the SS says). Could be meter variance.

3. Staci & Ivy

She dropped Down from when I added on SS to 96. She’s 96 now on Libre.
    What should I feed her at this point @Wendy&Neko when you say carbs?? Not calories??

4. Staci & Ivy

I would think she bounced yesterday because we skipped the AM dose yesterday. Does that make sense?

5. Wendy&Neko

Cats don't bounce because of skipped doses. They bounces because either they see a number lower than they are used to (46) or sugars drop quickly. Skipping the dose causes high numbers because the shot before has run out. Lantus doesn't last 24 hours in cats.

By carbs I mean give her a tsp of MC. By not calories I mean, not a lot of food. Keep her hungry in case you need her to eat later. Is she still at 96? This is 3/4 of an hour since you first posted.

6. Staci & Ivy

She’s 94 now.

7. Wendy&Neko

So essentially the same number as 3/4 of an hour ago? That's probably the karo talking. I would now stick with low carb food, not MC and test again in an hour.

You can take off the 911 now.

8. Staci & Ivy

Ok I removed 911. Should I only give her LC if she continues to drop or give her some LC snacks.
    I usually give her a small LC snack at +1, +2, +3 (we are almost past all those feeding times). She does this late nadir early cycle drop thing very often so I feel I am trying to keep her boosted and not tanking. Tonight she really started a fast drop ( and right after yesterday’s very low post trauma drop).

What do you think I should do in the morning for a dose. I know she didn’t earn a decrease (yet tonight). Assuming she doesn’t earn a decrease, would I stick with 3.5 even is she’s got a late nadir tomorrow am again?
    She’s just gone to 101.

9. Staci & Ivy

Dropped to 91 now at +3. Still lc??

10. Wendy&Neko

Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. Over 90 you are OK to stick to LC.

Staci & Ivy likes this.