4/7 Benny PMPS 160 shoot or no?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Can you monitor? Do you have supplies? Test strips? Mc? Hc? Karo or honey? Which method are you following? Are you feeding any dry food?

3. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I can monitor. I have test strips, honey, not sure what MC or HC are. I'm not following any method at this point, he's just been super-high in his numbers and the new vet prescribed an increased dose. In terms of dry food, I've gotten him down to a couple of tablespoons a day.

4. tiffmaxee

So since still a little dry and no method yet I would go go with SLGS guidelines.

• Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
      • a.) give nothing
      • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
      • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.

• I would go with a token dose.

5. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

OK thank you so much. I edited title. Will let you know how it goes!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  6. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I gave him a token dose of a half unit. +2 he is at 385. Should I give him the rest of the insulin dose? Thank you for your help!!

7. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

I am not one of the experts here but I personally would not. Glargine likes consistent dosing every 12 hours

8. tiffmaxee

No. Never shoot a second shot. He’s bouncing from being lower. Take the test of the night off.

9. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Good point, thank you.

Will do. I appreciate your help, I've just been so startled to see the lower number and did not want to mess it up!

10. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. It's a little terrifying, and at the same time wonderful.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

Tonight lets you know how he reacted to a lower pmps. If you were not feeding any dry food and following TR you could have shot the full dose. With SLGS a token dose was the right thing to do since his pmps bg was so much lower than you have seen before. The higher bg was a bounce from that lower bg and not the result of shooting a token dose. It would have happened even if you shot a full dose. The bounce will clear and you kept him safe. That is what matters. :bighug:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Hendrick Cuddleclaw likes this.
  12. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

His AMPS was "hi". :( How do you balance the need for them to not go hypo with their need to stay on the insulin?

13. tiffmaxee

Please start a new condo. I will answer there.