4/6/10- Hank- Gum Day 3- AMBG- 93, +3.5-66 PMBG- 73

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bettyandhank, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11156 yesterday's condo

AMBG- 93 OK... like it a little lower but this will do.

He was hungry so we tested slightly earlier.

So what is the best time to spot check him to see how he processes the food..... +2? +3? 4?

Not clear on what would give us most beneficial information during this stage of the game while he is going it on his own.

Does anyone have the link for the questions you ask a pet food company to get the correct carb/protein/phosp information?
    I think you have to distinguish you want 'as fed'..is that correct? Anything else to make sure you're getting the version we waant?
    For those who have called, do you find they are willing to give it to you broken down in that way?

I want to check on this food from friday... and at some point maybe a couple others.

thanks

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/6/10- Hank- Gum Day 3 AMBG- 93

here, you can also find it on J&B's food chart list:

If you have "as fed" information (not so-called "guaranteed" or label values) . . .

. . . And you'd like me to add them to the food tables, please e-mail me at binky dot cat at sbcglobal dot net. At the very least, I need "as fed" values for protein, fat, and carbohydrate. It would also be helpful to have "as fed" values for phosphorus, fiber, water, ash, and calcium, along with calorie information. I cannot use any number which is labeled "maximum" or "minimum", because it is by definition not an accurate value.

93 is a great number, nothing to be unhappy about.

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Nice morning Hank. Looks like all the gum chewers want to be 90s kitties this morning.

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Betty

Hank AMBG 93
    Max AMBG 91
    Smokey AMBG 94

I think the boys are planning something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I know the feeling of seeing the 90's but yes, they are good numbers.
    I would check wither a +3 or +4 - 2 would still make me nervous if the number did not
    come down enough. We did +4 today and Max went to 63.
    Experiment during the day and night so yo can get some comfort how his body
    handles the food.

Looking good.
    YAY FOR DAY 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Good looking numbers on all the gum chewers.

The best thing to ask for is the % of metabolized energy (ME) That is protein fat and carbs only and must add up to 100%. Hard to get though, I think the people that deal w/ the public don't really know what we are talking about and are just reading from a form. Dr. Lisa gives some pointers on calling in her Cat Nutrition article.

6. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Yay Hank! Awesome day three!

Betty, if it were me I'd probably spend a few days testing at different times to get an idea of how fast he processes his food. I would guess that since on the juice some kitties nadir at their own pace rather than exactly +6 that kitties will process food at individual rates too. If Hank has a fast metabolism you might want to test at 1.5 or 2 hours post food but if he's sloooooow you might want to wait a bit longer. It's probably all about guessing and 'sperimenting right now.

7. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Awesome look at these three boys go!!!! Way to go!!!

8. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hank is doing beautifully. This is all Hank and nothing else, that's why it is even better than the first day or so. Way to go big boy!

The testing times.... just randomly check if you want. It is hard to say one time is better than another, any test you get between the AM and PM tests is just for your information. You might see some ups and downs that are occurring naturally in his body as he processes his food or exercises or just naps. I would test 'just because' I wanted to see how my kitty was doing, no other reason. Eventually I slowed down the tests and relaxed and enjoyed our new freedom. I hope the same for you.

9. Melanie and Smokey

Uh-um. boys and girl.

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Where was my mind. So sorry Smokey.
    My multitasking sometimes gets me into trouble.

11. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Great number Hank :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

12. bettyandhank

yeah...nobody told me it was '90's Day' How 'bout that!

(((((((( HI CD!!!!!))))))))))) How are ya today? It's All Hank all the time! (how much shed could he have really had on essence of I anyway?!) :)

I'm not getting enough other stuff done though, and getting in trouble. I gotta get him settled.

I've just been on the phone getting nutrient values on a couple foods...one we just tried friday i wasn't sure was even the one i intended, but think it was fine..just a slight name & label change. And a minor alteration in formula w/ less sodium and added potassium chloride.
    They sent me pages of breakdowns on several different varieties. I may need to send to Hillary or someone to put them in Dummy form for me.

Randi, I love how you think..if they have a HIGH number ..you want to not test too soon so it won't make you nervous. Wait a little longer until he has time to handle it & make it settle. I'm with you..better not to know LOL!

I MUST do other things... I must!

13. bettyandhank

+3.5-ish or +63...whatever @3 1/2 hrs since breakfast BG 66

THAt makes me happy 'cause that's all on his own.

Can someone help me decipher this?

AS FED %:
    Moisture- 76%
    protein- 9.77
    fat- 9.18
    carb- 2.65
    fiber .30
    ash 1.60

DRY MATTER:
    mositure 76%
    Protein- 41.57
    fat- 39.062
    carb- 11.28
    fiber- 1.28
    ash- 6.81

per 100 Kcals/ME:
    moisture 76%
    protein 80.41
    fat 75.56
    carb 21.81
    fiber 2.47
    ash 13.17

Phosp - .27/ 1.15/ 2.22 respectively

DOES THIS FOOD HAVE 2.65 or 11.28% CARBS????????????????
    9.77 or 41.57% protein?

I know this may be remedial- but looking at Janet/binky charti can't tell confidentally how to use this to get what I need- none match what is there.

Was trying to get updated info. and to clarify if there was a formula change vs just a label/name change.
    None of the above match the breakdown in janet/Binky chart.
    Do I have to apply a formula to extrapolate out what I need?

I hope i didn't screw up a 2nd time. I had some opened in the fridge and just fed him some.

14. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Re: 4/6/10- Hank- Gum Day 3-AMBG- 93, +3.5-66 FOOD QUESTION

I'd err on the side of caution and say it's probably 11.28% and would then say test him in a few hours and see what it does to him. I don't really understand the formulas 100% either though.

What food is it?

15. Melanie and Smokey

The Dry Matter section is the only one that adds up to 100% so that is the one I would go with.
    Hank's performing like a star today :D

16. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

what's the food you are looking at anyway?

I don't know enough how to read or decipher the values - if you post on health or community you will get peeps who can decipher.

I just pulled that infor from Janet's website.

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

How about sending a PM to Janet & Binky and asking her how to interpret the info?

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Let us know what you come up with! I look at labels all the time, but can't figure them out. They seem to have no connection to reality! Hank is doing wonderfully. Chew, Hank, chew!

Ella & Stu

19. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

What great numbers!

Question about YOUR question about testing times: Do OTJ kitties also have "nadirs"? Or do their BGs just fluctuate throughout the day, depending on what they eat?

Good luck with the food inquiries. Would love to hear if you find another low-carb food option!

20. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

agree, send what you have to Janet and she can tell you what it means, and then if those are the right values she can add them to the food chart.

Hank is looking great!

21. bettyandhank

Hi-
    So I posted my food question on the main board as suggested to see if someone there knows how to do the conversions. I wasn't confident that I was applying the formula accurately. I have more detaield inof. they sent on several other varieties, so will forward those to Janet. Those were the 'cliff notes' version I posted earlier hoping for a more immediate response form someone with more of a clue than me.

i sure hope what i fed was kosher.

I learned alot form your food pot on the other board last weekend. Some of my 'good' foods may have not had as much protein as i thought, more fat, etc.
    And i do wonder how relaible some of the chart information is...some of it is dated.

As far as the testing...Boy Kathy. I'm the wrong one to ask. I never even found his Nadir before when he was ON the J. I was just hoping to discern when the most optimum times would be NOW to test during our 'spearmint' to learn the most. if he eats at x, when should he start to rise? fall? his number was higher this morning than the last 2, so wanted to check to see how he handled breakfast. tested appx. +3.5 and his number was great.

I'll keep you posted on the food search. the ongoing challenge of gotta be 'good for them' PLUS they gotta LIKE IT.

thanks for dropping in & the suggestions. And for all the sweet hank comments. I'm sure proud of my baby...he's doing so good! (antijinx some more)

22. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

as far as determining when his number should rise/fall etc., the only way to know is to test. Each cat is different, usually they will drop somewhere between 2-4 hours after a meal. Lucy used to take almost 4 hours, but as her pancreas got stronger that time got shorter.

FYI also, Lucy has been OTJ for over a year and she is still in the 80's and 90's most of the time (the last couple of tests have been lower, but I've been using a meter that I know reads lower just because I have some extra strips to use up). We've also had cats here who run in the 30's or lower on their OTJ trial. Again, each cat is different so you have to determine what is normal for Hank. That's a lot of what this trial period is about, figuring out what is normal for your cat.

23. bettyandhank

You're kidding? Don't want any 30's in THIS OTj trial...Way too freaky for me. how can that be NOT on insulin?

I'm happy. all the trial babies are having a good day.

I'll have to check your SS to see how often you are still testing.

thanks for checking on us

24. bettyandhank

Re: 4/6/10- Hank- Gum Day 3- AMBG- 93, +3.5-66

PMBG- 73 15-20 min 'late'

BEAUTIFUL number my little pumpkin'

Took us 3 strips and many pokes tonight- AAArrrggghhh- sorry hankie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.