4/29 RK - AMPS HI, ketones 4.9 PMPS HI, ketones HI, +3.75 334 +5 321 +8.5 486 +11 HI (very sick)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JL and Chip, Apr 29, 2024.

1. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

yesterday’s post

RK seemed off last night and again this morning. Last night she yelped while eating a Temptations cat treat and now she has very little interest in food and sniffs but ignores the treats. Ketones are up to 4.9. It’s possible she caught one of her loose teeth while eating the treat, but I had also just given subQ fluids so who knows.

I have been syringe feeding continuously since this started but had let up a bit in the past day or two as she started eating more on her own. With ketones up and her appetite down, I’m going back to focusing on syringe feedings.

Last dose of Clavamox was yesterday morning. I’m going to see if we should get her on another antibiotic until we can get the teeth handled.

I’m considering bumping her up to 0.75u of Lantus given the circumstances. I’m also rethinking the mid/late cycle R dosage—it’s almost like I’m shooting water so I wonder if I should go up to 0.1u. Opinions? Am I missing anything? Thanks for your help. @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Wendy&Neko

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

l am really sorry to hear RK is not as well.
    Have you given the last cerenia injection?
    I think I would ask for more cerenia and you can give both cerenia and ondansetron together as they work on different pathways.
    Yes I’d ask about more antibiotics for her until something can be done with her teeth.

See what Wendy says but I think I would increase the dose to 0.75 units as long as she is not coming off the bounce.
    Wendy is much more experienced with R than I am. I would send her a PM so she gets it before the midcycle R is due. She may not look online before that otherwise.
    Sending lots of strong Aussie vines to RK. :bighug:

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think going to 0.75 units is OK. You may be seeing some NDW now on the fat 0.5, which should be over by tonight.

As far as mid cycle R goes, you may want to develop a R scale. First thought, if trending up and over 400, do 2 drops, if over 500 do 0.1 units. This is conservative because there aren't a lot of data points to go by yet. I'm guessing you aren't home much for mid day R.

4. JL and Chip

It’s not looking good right now. Ketones were HI on my blood ketone meter at PMPS — I’ve never seen that before. BG was also HI. The midday R didn’t seem to do much of anything. She looks and acts almost like she did at diagnosis. It seems the wheels started to fall off as soon as she finished out the antibiotics.

I don’t know if I can turn it around this time. I’m pushing subQ fluids and syringing food into her. I’m trying to get her back on antibiotics and maybe get her hospitalized. I know looks can be deceiving, but my Spidey-sense is saying it’s pretty bleak right now. I’m back to holding my breath when I check on her. I can see in her eyes how awful she feels.

I haven’t been able to get to my computer today but will update spreadsheet hopefully within next hour.

If anyone has a few extra positive vibes lying around, RK could sure use them right now.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sending all the west coast vines I can muster to RK.

JL and Chip likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m so sorry to read this. Sending a plane load of strong Aussie vines to RK and big hugs to you :bighug:

JL and Chip likes this.
  7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

8. JL and Chip

BG and ketones are at least giving me a number now (PM + 4ish).

Might be a rough night. I’m pushing fluids and food as hard as I dare as well as keeping up with the cocktail of meds she’s on. Antibiotics are back on board.

Bron, thanks for the reminder about the Cerenia and Wendy, I appreciate the R dosing schedule—sounds like a good starting point.

Kel, thanks for looking in on us and for the vines. Truly appreciate it. @Red & Rover (GA)

Now we wait and see how much fight she has left…

Jason - Kona's Dad likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks for the update. You and RK are in my thoughts.
    Good to see the BG and ketones are down a bit at +4

10. Jason - Kona's Dad

Jason - Kona's Dad Well-Known Member

Sending all the vines I got!!! :bighug:
    upload_2024-4-29_22-6-36.jpeg

JL and Chip likes this.
  11. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack & Mopem'sMom Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I'm sorry to read this. Praying that RK feels better and bounces back soon. Sending love and hugs :bighug:

JL and Chip likes this.