4-29 Mini Purrl AMPS 301, +3 238, +6 178, +8 200, PMPS 259

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JLS12, Apr 29, 2024.

1. JLS12

JLS12 Member

Yesterday
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-28-mini-purrl-amps-245-2-260-5-201-pmps-232.289382/

Today is day 2 at 5.25u.

I sure don't know where all the nice greens went that she had a week ago. :(

We're nearing the end of the vial and I can't help but wonder if that has something to do with it. Purrl's bottle that we're finishing is glargine by Sanofi Winthrop. The bottle I have ready to go next is glargine Semglee by Biocon Biologics.
    The two different manufacturers shouldn't matter, correct?

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Janet, I would think that different brands are ok. I’ll be curious what others have to say.

Sometimes I can’t figure out what happens either when I raise the dose and the numbers are worse than on the lower dose either.

I hope you and Mini Purrl have a nice and safe night :bighug:

JLS12 likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The different manufacturers will be fine. No worries.

JLS12 likes this.
  4. JLS12

JLS12 Member

Just doesn't make sense, does it? It will be interesting to see if the new vial will make a difference, though. We're still a few days out before moving to the new vial, but I'll be paying close attention when we do.

I thought that's what I read on some other thread, but wanted to check. Thanks!

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  5. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack & Mopem'sMom Well-Known Member

I had the same question on manufacturers, and I was told that just as long as you don't mix some from the old bottle with some from the new bottle in the same syringe it should be fine. I did notice that Jack had better numbers on Mylan brand glargine-yfgn insulin (NDC 49502-393-80) than the glargine-yfgn insulin Biocon Biologics (NDC 83257-014-11). They were out of stock a few months ago, so I decided to try the glargine (not yfgn) insulin- Winthrop by Sanofi (NDC 0955-1729-01). His numbers kept going up. I decided to go back to the glargine-yfgn and the pharmacist told me that the Mylan is not being made anymore, and when I went to renew the Biocon last week, the price had jumped from $68 USD to $700! I ended up getting another vial of the glargine (not yfgn) insulin- Winthrop by Sanofi NDC 0955-1729-01 for $140. I don't know if all of this switching is really making a difference or if Jack is having other issues, but if I can keep him on one kind of insulin I figure that's one less variable. Sending hugs...will be following to see if Purrl likes one brand over another.

JLS12 likes this.
  6. JLS12

JLS12 Member

Thank you so much for all this detail. I think it was a thread of yours that I read about the different insulins - I just couldn't recall. We got the Biocon about a week or so ago, and it was $85 at a mom and pop pharmacy. That price jump you mentioned is just UNREAL. :mad:

We've not started the new vial yet. But I will make sure to note any differences. It's interesting you noticed Jack's numbers kept increasing on the Sanofi Winthrop.

I just can't understand why it seems as this current Winthrop vial gets low, her numbers are creeping up despite me increasing the dose. Things looked very promising at 4.5, and I thought we were honing in, and now we're up to 5.25 getting ready to go to 5.5. :confused:

I guess my other concern is, when we switch vials, what if Purrl's dose is too much from the new vial? Is that possible? Like the old vial lost potency?

So many questions! I'm going to pull some of this into Purrl's 4-30 thread.

Jack & Mopem'sMom likes this.
  7. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack & Mopem'sMom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know about the potency, but it's a good question. Jack is blowing through the bottle with his dose (10.5 u) and I keep it refrigerated and I thought I read on someone else's post that if it's refrigerated it should last longer--I also can't remember whose post it was- I read so many, and it's all so overwhelming. :(:bookworm: I did have a discussion on my thread about the insulin, I'll see if I can find it and post it back here, so it's all together for you. I thought I noticed better results for Jack when he was on the biosimilar (yfgn) than the straight up glargine (Winthrop) but the price hike is just ridiculous. I fell like every aspect of managing him is increasingly frustrating and infuriating. Sending you and Purrl much love and many hugs! :bighug:

Edit to add my original post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...reased-back-to-8-25u-insulin-question.285927/

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Reason for edit: add
    JLS12 likes this.