4/29 Jack: 63@+12,stalled 1hr, 73@amps, 76@+1, 59@+2...holding 11u

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jack & Mopem'sMom, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack & Mopem'sMom Well-Known Member

LAST POST: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-26-jack-99-amps-62-2-58-3-60-4.289282/#post-3173660

VET UPDATE: useless waste of time for the most part except to get 'vet approval' to schedule tests for IGF-1 and Cushing's- which based on today's nonsense (rant forthcoming) I'm not convinced about anymore. Hopefully regular senior panel bloodwork results later today. No idea on his back lump/hump- 'a lot of diabetic cats present with that--we're not sure what it's from, but as long as it's not bothering him....' Oh, and this was my favorite: 'I can see why you don't want to pay for the fructosamine test, it really is more than an average of BG though. But if you're serious about getting an IM consult no matter who you go to, they will more than likely insist on one before speaking with you' It's an industry wide conspiracy to extort money from people who love their animals, I swear! Oh, and fat boy is 24 pounds :banghead::facepalm: now

TODAY'S RANT: THIS CAT! :banghead: I work from home 99% of the time. On occasion, I do have to travel to meet business partners and rarely, clients, in the 'local' area. Today is one of those days- I'm driving to Quakertown, PA, which is about 1.5 hours from me for an important business partner meeting- it's a 'no sick day allowed' kind of day. Which normally I just grumble about slightly since I no longer have to get on an airplane and travel cross country for weeks on end (Covid was good for something at least) So, OF COURSE, today Jack decides to throw a 63 at me at his normal amps time- he dropped 81 points in 4 hours...I didn't sleep well so I was able to grab some overnight numbers...I stalled his shot, fed him higher carbs than I would normally have, AND forked over the gold--HC Temptations treats --5 of them! He's happy as a pig in you-know-what. I could have reduced his insulin dose, but I have a better gauge of what he does on this dose with higher carbs than what he would do with a half-dose or something. I hope I didn't screw him up too much. I swear he KNOWS when it's the worst time to pull this nonsense. I can test again at +1, +2, and +3, but then I'm out for pretty much the rest of the afternoon- WHY does this ALWAYS seem to happen on a day when we have the potential for a great run/possible reduction?!?!? :arghh:
    :arghh::arghh:

Hope all the kitties surf safely and I can spend more time online later catching up with everyone! :bighug:

2. Heather82372

Heather82372 Well-Known Member

I can definitely sympathize with you! Shooter did the same thing to me (actually to my cat sitter) over the weekend while I was out of town! Ugh! He went clear down to 33 on her! I swear these cats are going to be the financial and mental death of us! lol

Jack & Mopem'sMom likes this.
  3. Jack & Mopem'sMom

33!? Oh I'd be dead on the floor of a heart attack! Hope he came back up safely :bighug:

Heather82372 likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Christine
    Of course Jack now
    pull this today when you have a meeting today.
    Why Jack why !
    I'm sure he's happy as a pig in you know what with getting those temptation treats .
    I didn't know Jack had a lump on his hump, so the vet has no idea what it could be.
    And about the fructosamine test lol
    , it really is more than an average of BG though.lol
    I can see why you are confused about testing for
    IGF-1 and Cushing's- now .

Christine I'm trying not to laugh when you said

Oh, and fat boy is 24 pounds :banghead::facepalm: now
    Oh Jack we need to get you a treadmill
    At one time Tyler weighed 22 lbs
    Surf safely Jack
    I hope the meeting goes fast so you can get back home :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  5. Jack & Mopem'sMom

So, I have a treadmill- he is afraid of it despite the kittens loving to play on it. He will lay on it when it is off, but as soon as you turn it on- he is out of the room :-(
    Yeah, so much for 5 Temptations- he's down to 59---I'm giving him 5 more :(

Heather82372 likes this.
  6. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: 59 and I have to walk out the door. He has LC kibble and LC pate down and I have begged my sister to come check on him as soon as she can. I hate my life sometimes. :nailbiting::(

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  7. Heather82372

Heather82372 Well-Known Member

You probably won't be able to see this if you're at work... wondering if your sister can check his sugar and give him MC or HC food if needed.

8. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

Oooh boy. I am sorry that all these have to happen today!
    Looks like Jack is holding at +2 ~ +3. Hope he keeps it up.
    Will you be taking a reduction? For SLGS, the reduction point is 90, unless otherwise indicated. If you are, congrats!
    You must be so worried - Sending you :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Jack & Mopem'sMom

"
    No, she doesn't know how to test him (I need to show her). But she does know about the karo syrup I leave on the counter and where all the food is. She texted me that she stayed at the house for about 30 mins, and he was fine, interacting with her and his kittens (really teenagers- they will be two in Oct, but born in my bathroom so will always be 'the kittens') and there was still LC food down. And, I expected him to be sky high when I got home, but when I tested him @+ 10, he was 165! I need an 'adult beverage' after today!

Staci & Ivy and Heather82372 like this.
  10. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Since he was bouncing so much, and not showing steady greens, I was waiting for less than 90 for three cycles in a row before reduction. However, after Friday and today, I think I will go to 10.5 this evening and hope for the best!

Diane Tyler's Mom and Mikanmama like this.
  11. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

Got it! Good idea! And Your Jack has done marvelously today!
    And you totally deserve a stiff one! ;)

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Jack was OK :bighug::bighug::bighug: