4/29 Bubu AMPS 345, +2 320, +5 287 KETONES 1.2

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Yanna, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Yanna

Yanna Member

Hi, I'm an old member and I'm writing on behalf of Rea from Greece.
    She needs some time to understand how the forum works, can't set up an ss due to google account issues, but I think it's an urgent situation and can't wait. My apologies if this is not acceptable.

Her cat Bubu (11yo)was diagnosed in October but only started Lantus in early February after being hospitalized 3 times with ketoacidosis. She's been on the same dose, 1.5 u since.

For the past 2 weeks Bubu gets subq fluids at home, 100 ml LR every day. She weighs 2,2kg ( used to be 6.5 kg) . She also has ketones. The good thing is that she is eating despite her being lethargic.

At the bottom of my spreadsheet (Naomi's spreadsheet) I have included Bubu's tests. I don't know what else to do to help Rea.
    She's in touch with me.

I advised her to stop giving fluids. 100 ml seems too much for a 2.2 kg cat.
    I also asked her to increase the dose.
    I have never asked a member to change the insulin dose without asking u first, but I thought this can't wait. They are stuck with 1.5 u since February.
    I hope Rea will be in the forum soon asking u questions.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Kokkinoulis, Anna1 and MariaKokont like this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Yanna. I’m sorry Bubu is in this situation. You were right to tell her to increase the dose. She needs to eat as much food as possible and fluids help. She’s way underweight and I agree this is an emergency. Does she have an infection? I agree that seems like a lot of fluids for such a small cat but I’m not sure what is safe. I gave Chai 100 ml when she was down to 7 pounds. Let me see if I can get you some help. I’ve never dealt with ketones personally. @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Kokkinoulis and Yanna like this.
  3. tiffmaxee

I would give 50 ml of fluids at the most.

4. tiffmaxee

Kokkinoulis likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No suggestions on fluids. Kitty should also be offered 1.5 times normal calories. I'm glad your friend increased the insulin dose. If you can talk to her about dosing methods, that will help. I see the ketones were down today, I hope they stay that way.

Send her a link to this post: Ketones, Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), and Blood Ketone Meters From it: The basic recipe for developing DKA = an insufficient supply of insulin + inappetance + infection OR other systemic stresses. Has an infection been found, or other source of inflammation/infection? How about kitty's teeth?

Kokkinoulis likes this.
  6. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thank you Elise! She's on Synulox for a wound she's got from the libre she wore for some time. Not sure of other infections.

Kokkinoulis likes this.
  7. Yanna

Yanna Member

Hi Wendy! I met Rea in a Greek cat group 2 days ago and realized she had been doing some things differently.
    She only gave Bubu 2 meals 12 hrs apart.
    She tested the cat at +11, fed her and gave insulin an hour later. So all the AMPS & PMPS numbers are influenced by food. We're working on changing this routine now. Not sure of infections or teeth. I'll ask her

Kokkinoulis likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If your friend can offer snacks during the day and evening as well as the two main meals that will help keep ketones at bay as well as the increase in dose of insulin. A snack is a teaspoon of two of low carb food and she could offer those every couple of hours while she is having problems with the ketones.
    Also getting her onto a better routine of test, feed, shoot should help.

Kokkinoulis likes this.
  9. Yanna

Yanna Member

upload_2024-4-30_6-57-46.jpeg
    this is Bubu now

10. Yanna

Yanna Member

11. Yanna

Yanna Member

upload_2024-4-30_7-0-36.jpeg
    the wound from libre

12. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thanks Bron! she's trying to feed Bubu every 2 hrs, when she doesn't want to eat she's syringe feeding. As of yesterday, 4/29 she tests, feeds, shoots, no eating 2 hrs prior to testing AMPS PMPS

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Is she able to get Hills a/d or Royal Canin recovery food where she lives. It’s very easy to syringe feed and very good for sick kitties.

14. Yanna

Yanna Member

yes, they are available in Greece. Are they low carb?

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Royal Canin Recovery is low carb (3%), A/D is MC - 12%. Both are around 180-183 calories per can. Neko would start eating Recovery on her own after getting a syringe or two of it. For a cat recently in DKA, it's OK if she gets a slightly higher carb food, if she prefers the A/D.

16. Yanna

Yanna Member

Excellent!