? 4/28 Rudy AMPS 346 Help :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SweetGreyRudy, Apr 28, 2024.

1. SweetGreyRudy

SweetGreyRudy Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-27-rudy-amps-377-3-296-6-308.289337/

Really concerned about Rudy this morning. I did a test at 3AM (+6) BG 350. He vomited this morning and frantically drank water and ate his Tiki Cat (I'm feeding him a little bit at a time so he doesn't vomit again). I tested for ketones, two large urine clumps in his litter box- I'm unsure how old they are from the last twelve hours but one clump was none and the other was trace, so I'll keep monitoring that.

I reread TR guidelines and I suppose all I can do is keep testing and monitoring BG levels, we'll go up to 3.25U today. I just don't want to overdose him bc we were seeing positive results at 2.75, but also I worry about DKA if he stays at these levels. Anyone have thoughts on this? I really need some guidance.

2. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Kai, let’s see if we can get you some help from someone who can give some dosing suggestions.

I hope he feels better :bighug::bighug:

@Angela & Cleo @Wendy&Neko @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    Thank you, Ladies

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When following TR, don't hold a dose any longer than 6 cycles/3 days if he's not seeing anything under 200. Today is cycle 8. If you hold doses too long that aren't getting them good numbers, they get used to higher numbers and that means having to go even higher to hit that breakthrough dose. The dose they need can change over time - just follow the TR guidelines.

Food experiments take time. Stick with what you've got for a couple weeks to see if it's working.

Does Rudy vomit often? Or was this unusual for him? What did the vomit look like? Food/hairball/liquid brown/liquid yellow? With 3 cats in a row with GI disease, I find the "vomit log" handy to pick out patterns. Especially with food allergies.

4. SweetGreyRudy

SweetGreyRudy Member

@Wendy&Neko thanks for the guidance. @Angela & Cleo had recommended we move him to 3.25U today, but the further explanation for increasing dosing is really helpful. I feel less stressed about moving him up.

Rudy doesn't vomit often, but I will start noting when he does on the spreadsheet. He vomited on the carpet so it's hard to identify the color but I'd guess brown/yellow with food bits.

5. Basic's Mom

Basic's Mom Member

What type of ketostixs are you using? I'm not aware of any you can use on old litter. Needs to be urine (either fresh or urine collected in a box without clumping litter) or check levels with a keto/glucose meter. Can you get a keto test using fresh urine? There are specific instructions on each type of strip of how to do this. I have to count so many seconds once the urine has touch the strip before determining the level, unless I'm my ketone meter. Some use a soup ladle, if a cat prefers more privacy, to collect the sample.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase Kai :cat:
    Some.people slide a - dedicated - soup ladle underneath. Others put saran wrap on top of the litter.

There are some other tips here:

Tips for Catching Urine

7. SweetGreyRudy

SweetGreyRudy Member

@Basic's Mom @Diane Tyler's Mom Thanks for the tips! We use the ReliOn strips. I need to try out the soup ladle thing. My partner has luck catching Rudy mid litter box session, I have not had such luck!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.