4/26 Kit AMPS 115, +1 97, +2 77, +3 74, +5 83, +10 152, PMPS 154, +1 135, +2 77, +3 67, +5 59

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Kit cat, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Alicia & Kit cat

Alicia & Kit cat Well-Known Member

4/25/24

Oh Boise - @Angela & Cleo, you prognosticator you, you definitely called that it was some highs before some lows. She's still in safe territory, but she definitely has had a pretty great start today. (I know prognosticator is not the best choice of word, since it was based on actual data and staring at it, but it was such a fun word. :joyful:)

No dose increase this morning, and I'll be working from home this morning to monitor her. And maybe she'll have some numbers I need to monitor tomorrow morning, so I can skip a workshop I've been asked to attend (and even if she doesn't, maybe she will :smuggrin:).

I hope everyone has a good Friday. :bighug:

2. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

Nice start of the cycle, Alicia!
    @Angela & Cleo has done that so many times!
    I wanna know what she eats for breakfast. Maybe I'll try eating whatever she eats, then my crystal eyeballs start seeing things :p
    Hope Kitcat surfs safely and steadily!

3. Alicia & Kit cat

OMG - for a second I thought you wanted to know what Kit had for breakfast, and then my brain caught up. :facepalm::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

4. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:
    Although I confess, I have tasted cat foods and Churu. I mean, they love it so much, it's gotta taste good, right?
    Well, it definitely needs some salt :p:p:p

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  5. Alicia & Kit cat

REALLY? Maybe the less textured ones (definitely not Churu). The pates and churu like ones that are just goop are so gross to me. Just looking at them. :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Mikanmama and Angela & Cleo like this.
  6. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

OMG this thread :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:
    I spilled coffee EVERYWHERE but totally worth it! After I cleanup :p, I'll be back to ask @Alicia & Kit cat a couple of questions :)

Mikanmama and Alicia & Kit cat like this.
  7. Alicia & Kit cat

Sorry about the mess. :D:D:D

8. Karolina KJ & Nestle

Karolina KJ & Nestle Well-Known Member

Haha same! :smuggrin::p:smuggrin::p

Alicia & Kit cat likes this.
  9. Karolina KJ & Nestle

Karolina KJ & Nestle Well-Known Member

Beautiful cycle so far sweet KitKat!

Have a happy Friday

upload_2024-4-26_10-37-56.png

10. Alicia & Kit cat

Thanks, Karolina - I hope you also have a good Friday. Scritches to the furry ones.

Karolina KJ & Nestle likes this.
  11. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Beautiful cycle for Kit cat! :D:DAnd yes, hilarious dialogue on tasting cat food. Ewwwww.
    :eek:
    Stay safe pretty girl for your Mom! Have a great day, Alicia :bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Alicia & Kit cat

Thanks, Staci.
    All I can think about - she might like the food, but she also licks her butt. :joyful::joyful:

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Alicia beautiful cycle so far :D:D. I hope kit continues to surf safely in all dark green today, I hope you have a nice day :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

14. Alicia & Kit cat

Thanks, Diane - it's Friday! I'm so excited!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  15. Alicia & Kit cat

You never came back with questions?!?! I've been waiting aaaaallllll day. :p:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  16. Angela & Cleo

I started then stupood work got in the way :mad:

It took forever to clean up the coffee mess but I laughed the entire time so allsss welll:bighug:

Take the following for whatever its worth, if anything at all :).
    What is your overall goal with Kit? Wendy asked me this about a year ago. Here's the link to that thread. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...pmps-144-4-78-7-63-11-49.275642/#post-3058306 I often look back on it when I'm struggling with Cleo. Since then, my primary goal has been "under renal threshold". For Cleo specifically and the meter that I use, that means under 150.

Have you noticed a difference in her BGs with respect to (1) solensia shot; (2) adequan shot; (3) hairballs; etc.

17. Alicia & Kit cat

Thanks for sharing the link - it was very helpful to read.

When she dropped out of remission, my goal was getting her back into remission quickly - not the best goal since it's more difficult the second time around, and the first time was mostly during the pandemic when I had nothing to do but micromanage her. Currently - I'd love to have her consistently under 100, with highs mostly under 120. I'd like to stay away from the bounce and drop cycles - I feel like trying out different carb levels has helped, although we get going and then I have to vacation dose it because of work things, and then it feels like a struggle to get back to where we were. Last year it felt like she was getting to a good spot, and then I skipped a dose for a wedding, and it has just felt like we haven't gotten back to it. Which my brain then counters because one missed shot shouldn't make that big of a reaction, and it's really just her body needing more insulin and that is what it is. But I know I also need to balance that with the knowledge that once classes start back, I'll again have weeks we have to vacation dose because I'll be at days and nights, and I need to be realistic.

Sometimes it seems like her numbers creep up toward the time that she's due for her solensia shot. It doesn't happen every time, and I don't have enough data from the new food cycle to really know how much is the solensia and how much is using food to help with the curve. I'm not sure the adequan is doing anything? I have been trying to do once a week shots, although there are two weekends I missed because of scheduling problems, and didn't work out ahead of time how to manage also doing that shot. She definitely has hairballs, but I'm not sure how much they affect her BG. She has gotten a B12 shot the last two times she's gotten solensia, only because I had talked to the vet about methyl b-12, but since that isn't available in shot form, she brought the type that is the shot form, and I'm just seeing how it does.

I'm also trying to balance all of that with her kidney disease, which seems relatively stable since diagnosis in 2022. But also knowing that she's 17 and making sure that her quality of life is still good. The arthritis makes it so she doesn't really go anywhere she can't easily step to from the floor, and she doesn't use the pet stairs anymore. But she still grooms, and purrs, and comes to find me for pets. She's pooping and peeing in the litterbox regularly (her poos has actually gotten very regular to twice a day right at shot time - she loves those poo treats she gets for pooping in the litterbox.)

How did you determine that 150 on your meter was what you considered under renal threshold? Does trying to stay under 120 as a goal seem unrealistic?

The completely unrealistic side of me wants to revert her back to a younger age so I have longer. I don't have those powers. Yet. :)

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  18. Angela & Cleo

Love it! Now you have a baseline for your timing of increases.

True and I feel you on this :bighug:. Follow the protocol as soon as you are able. You KNOW what carbs, and when to feed them.
    Maybe it might help to look at all those blues and greens on her SS and remind yourself that those colorful bookends are always the last to fall in line.

If I answer this in writing, the men in white coats with butterfly nets will come knocking on my door o_O.
    I bought several containers of the urine test strips for glucose and stalked her EVERY pee, got a sample and used a pipette to put it on the test strips and set the timer . I then compared the urine result (none, trace ...) to the last three-six hours of BG readings. Since she's a bouncy kitty, it took about 6 weeks before I felt comfortable that 150 showed "none" more often than "trace". :facepalm:

19. Alicia & Kit cat

I'll probably still have lots of questions. Sometimes I think I have it, and then I get confused.

Always a good reminder. It's hard to see the forest for the trees sometimes.

One time, Kit's vet needed a urine sample, so I sacrificed a cooking ladle to catch some. My vet thought it was hilarious (but requested we go with a more sterile solution next time - I thought it was pretty clever). I'm not above stalking her every pee - she only pees 2 or three times a day and usually right around shot time, but a lot at once, so it wouldn't be hard to test a sample. Also, my friends already call me a crazy cat lady. Adding another reason is always amusing for me.

Cleo's a lucky kitty to have you as a cat mom. ❤️ :bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.