4/25 Binie - after the surgery

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heike & BInie, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Last post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-22-binie-amps-381-3-333-6-324-9-340.289109/

Good evening,

thank you so much for your advice and keeping your fingers and paws crossed for Binie! Binie had her surgery today. They had to remove quite a lot of tissue and the vet is not 100 % sure, what is was. Her guess is, that it was a fistula because of a bite wound. They sended everything to the pathology and we will know more in a few days. A fistula sounds much better for me than all the other possible explanations she gave me before. I hope she is right. She had a inhalation anesthesia and was sent home with a good dose of morphine. Tomorrow I have to start the pain meds (Onsior) and I hope I get it in and she has no side effects. She also did a dental x-ray and thank god everything is fine and we don't have to deal with another surgery.

The hours after the surgery have been quite difficult so far. Binie was not happy at all with her onesie the vet put on because the wound is on her breast and under her right frontleg and she can lick there easily. She was like paralized and didn't even move when she was lying. After coming home she peed herself and the onsie and after she managed to wiggle one front leg out of it I found no other way to deal with it than to cut it open. I would never ever have managed to put it on again. Thank god I bought a soft cone a few days ago and so we have at least some protection. I will stay with her tonight in the hallway, where she can not hurt herself and I try to stay awake to make sure she does not remove her cone. Thank god I took a day off tomorrow and maybe my vet has an idea what to do. I tried to cover the wound with a scarf but after she got really aggressive I felt it is too stressful for her.

Her bloodsugar is really high. Unfortunately I did a furshot yesterday morning and the reduced dose today because of the surgery also drained her depot. I hope it will get better the next days. Dealing with this big wound is really enough at the moment.

I hope everyone is having a calm and safe night! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

2. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Oh ((((Heike))) sending you very gentle, warm hugs. You’ve had such a tough day and so did Binie.
    I hope she recovers quickly and easily and that both of you can get some rest now that you were home.
    Poor baby it’s so hard for them to go through all this.

Last year when Ivy broke her leg, I used several different soft cones till I found one that worked just right. She hated all of them but I had to put it on whenever she was unattended because she would definitely have licked her leg where the incision was ( we couldn’t have that).
    So it’s great that you have the soft cone. That should really make it easier on her. She may not like it, but she’ll be OK with it. (I had to make Ivy wear it so she wouldn’t do damage to her stitches).

Wishing you a less stressful time ahead. I know this is a rough patch. Hoping she’ll be much better now that this is over.

Thinking of you and sending love and healing thoughts. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Heike ,saying a prayer that it's only a fistula :bighug::bighug:
    Thank God the surgery is over with.
    I hope she recovers quickly ,poor baby ♥
    I hope each day gets back little better and less stressful for both of you.
    Maybe the vet has another suggestion what Binie can wear.
    Sending you lots of hugs and kisses for Binie :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Tyler took onsior once and he had no side effects at all

Heike & BInie likes this.
  4. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Praying for a speedy recovery :bighug::bighug:

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Finger, toes, and paws crossed for an easy recovery for Binie. :bighug::bighug:

Nice to see her numbers coming down already tonight.

Cats often act paralyzed when they have something around their body. I bought Neko a harness that was a wrap, and she did the same thing. Nice thing about that harness is that it was attached by velcro at the neck and body, so easy to put on and take off.

6. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Staci! A broken leg - wow. You have been through so much with Ivy already! Good to hear that Ivy managed well with the soft cone! I think Binie will do too. She is not happy but I think she will manage. So far, everything went well. Yesterday I ordered a second one so I can change, if this one gets wet for example in her water bowl. It would be so much easier if they could talk.. Hope you and Ivy have a safe and relaxed day! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Diane! Yes, I hope for a fistula too! And somehow it sounds logical to me because what we treated in the beginning looked like a bite wound. Four little holes.... But it must have looked really strange what she took out and the whole history of it is strange. I went to the vet so many times the last six month because after some good time where we thought everything is nice and healed she always started licking again. But we will see, the vet told me in ten days we know more. I am a pessimist but somehow my feeling is that fistula is right. Thank you for pointing out that Tyler had no problems with Onsior! That is good to hear as I always fear something upsets her stomach. Hope you have a safe and relaxed day! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Angela! I hope you and Cleo have a safe and calm day! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Wendy for the good wishes! Yes, I was really shocked how she came home yesterday. I thought it was due to the surgery but when I removed the onesie there was another cat again! Yes, velcro helps a lot. The cone is also with velcro and I can just wrap it around her. Anything else like putting it on over her head would be impossible.

Her numbers really amaze me. I thought after that stressful day, a fresh wound, the low dose in the morning and the furshot the day before she will stay pretty high. We'll see, how this continues! Hope you have a peaceful day! :bighug::bighug::bighug: