4/24 RK - AMPS 255 ketones 0.1 +3 210 +6 172 PMPS 344 +4.5 50/41 +5 103 +7 529 +8.5 567 ketones 0.2

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JL and Chip, Apr 24, 2024.

1. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yesterday

As Bill Murray says in the final scene of the movie Groundhog Day, “Well, this is different!

We have the lowest PS so far at 255. Shot the full 0.75u of Lantus but definitely no R. And ketones are still at 0.1. I’m interested to see where this day takes us.

RK nibbled at the low carb canned I offered but was much more interested in the FF grilled. She still had her face buried in the bowl when I slowly backed away (quick movements or noises and she stops eating and retreats because, well, feral). She already had ondansetron on board and will be on Clavamox for the remainder of the week. She also has one dose of enrofloxacin remaining. I pushed off subQ fluids until later because she doesn’t seem overly dehydrated this morning and I’d rather give them when the BG is trending higher since they do seem to impact her BG.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

A lovely report card this morning. Not too much bouncing on the trampoline and great to see those ketones at 0.1
    She must be feeling better, I’m sure.

3. JL and Chip

@Bron and Sheba (GA) to answer your question from yesterday… she’s on antibiotics because her white blood count was pretty high at diagnosis and vet wanted to tackle whatever infection was lurking. Speculation was teeth but couldn’t rule out other culprits as well.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I thought she had finished the course of clavomax and had started on the Baytril.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Given the 0.75 unit depot is still building, this dose could get more exciting yet. But yeah for greens! Let's see if she can find them again. Could also be the new AB combo is starting to help.

6. JL and Chip

RK’s appetite isn’t great today but we’re holding the ketones at bay, at least for now. If I offer one of her preferred (typically higher carb) canned foods, she tends to dive in for about 20-30 seconds then quits eating. I can stir the food later and she usually repeats the cycle, but she doesn’t eat much of the canned on her own unless it’s fresh or stirred. I haven’t seen the dry food going down much, so I’m thinking she’s not eating much of that either. I’m wondering if the Clavamox is playing a role. Hard to say. I’m keeping ondansetron and mirtaz on board and syringe feeding C/N to supplement. It’ll be interesting to see whether she bounces tonight or stays in better numbers. One foot in front of the other …

7. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Come on RK eat your fuds. Glad to see the ketones are down, sending lots of positive vines.

JL and Chip likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think the clavomax could be playing a role in the loss of appetite

9. JL and Chip

Dang, this was unexpected.

PM +4.5 was 50 on my OTU, retest 41/40. She is acting like her BG is low, and frantically dived into the grilled higher carb can of food I cracked open for her. She had low-carb food and dry available but didn’t seem to help herself to it.

Interestingly, the new Relion I recently picked up—which always reads lower than my OTU at higher BG ranges—is doing the opposite at lower numbers. Relion showed 62/64. Based on the way she was acting, and the fact that my OTU has always read relatively close to lab values, I’m going with the OTU readings. Can’t be too careful, especially this early in the cycle.

retesting soon…

10. Wendy&Neko

I guess it's 0.5 units again.

What probiotic are you using? I hear lots of kitties reacting to Clavamox. (and personal experience with it's cousin :blackeye:).

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Somethings clicked into place! WOW!

12. JL and Chip

Yep, definitely taking the reduction. She made that very clear.

Proviable for the probiotic.

She’ll probably pop high later. I syringe fed some C/N for good measure and added a bit of Karo syrup to be safe since we were only at +4.5. With how quickly she had dropped and not having a ton of data at lower numbers, I likely overdid the response—rookie move, I know, gotta get my “sea legs” back. :confused: But all data is good, right??

13. Wendy&Neko

You are still learning RK - overdoing it is the way to go. Especially since you must be running on fumes.

14. JL and Chip

@Wendy&Neko ok, I’m trying to ignore my trigger finger here… but we are at 529 at PM +7. I might have admittedly overdone the Karo but I’m thinking this is a big bounce on her part as well. So, thoughts on giving a drop of R now or a drop at AM shot if she still remains high? Or no R at all? She clearly feels like crap …understandable given the big swing in BG in a short time. I don’t want to get into a vicious cycle with R and the larger depot will still be at play in the AM, so just mulling the best course of action…

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Wendy might be asleep. It’s pretty late there.
    RK has certainly bounced. But no surprise there after the lows earlier. I’m sure she is feeling yuk after that big swing.
    I don’t know what to advise really. I’m thinking maybe wait to see how the rest of the cycle plays out.
    What are the ketones doing?

16. JL and Chip

Thanks Brian for the response. I figured Wendy was offline already but tossed out the question just in case, and also to have an answer for future reference.

I gave RK fluids with the last test. I’m going to check BG one more time before I crash for a couple of hours so will also check ketones then.

17. JL and Chip

So BG at +8.75 is 567 but thankfully ketones are only at 0.2 (knock on wood).

If ketones are still low in a couple of hours when AM shot time rolls around, I might be inclined to sit tight and skip the R since we still have the larger depot at play and I don’t have much data to show how quickly she clears bounces. Last thing I want to do is react to an ugly PS number only to have her clear the bounce and/or have the depot weigh in, or set up an R-induced “whiplash” pattern. I’ve seen that happen and it’s an easy trap to fall into. But I can be swayed; that’s just my current thought process.

18. JL and Chip

So BG at +8.75 is 567 but thankfully ketones are only at 0.2 (knock on wood).

If ketones are still low in a couple of hours when AM shot time rolls around, I might be inclined to sit tight and skip the R since we still have the larger depot at play and I don’t have much data to show how quickly she clears bounces. Last thing I want to do is react to an ugly PS number only to have her clear the bounce and/or have the depot weigh in, or set up an R-induced “whiplash” pattern. I’ve seen that happen and it’s an easy trap to fall into. But I can be swayed; that’s just my current thought process.

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I agree with your thinking. If the ketones are still low I would not give the R.
    The sub Q fluids might have helped there as well.
    And hopeful the bounce won’t last for long. I hope you can get some sleep now.

JL and Chip likes this.