4/24/24 Watson AMPS 306 +1-284 +3-214 +5-237 +8.25-295 +9-350 +10-355 +11-370

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rosie Lass, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Hi! I’m Rosie. I’m a new member of the site as of Monday the 22nd. I’m Mama of four cats, one of whom is Watson, my sugar cat. He is a seven-year-old male dx in 3/2023. He is currently on Insulin gatgine 1.75 units twice daily. We just started the low-carb food on April 20, so far none of the cats are fans. We also have tried the Young Again zero mature kibble and Watson will eat some of that. yesterday he had a terrible day that took me hours to get him out of the 50s. The vet had him on Royal Canin glycol balance for the last year, but his numbers have really been all over the place and not controlled, which is why we were looking for other suggestions And ended up here.. One question I have is: the vet said don’t keep the insulin in the refrigerator because you shouldn’t shoot cold insulin into a feline but I see it mentioned that you can keep it six months instead of only 28 days so I’m confused. During the past year, he has been as low as one unit twice daily and as high as four units twice daily, we are now on our way back down, trying to find his Correct dosage. Thanks for letting me join. I hope I put the appropriate information in the subject line

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hey Rosie , glad you made it over to the lantus board.
    Your vet is wrong, Always keep the insulin in the fridge ,middle shelf, not in the door. The 28 days applies to humans because they use it more often through the day.
    I forgot you are using the pens not a vial correct.
    5 pens should last you a year . You can use each pen to the last drop.
    @Rosie Lass
    By the way if you want to add Watson's PMPS numbers to your title and you run out of room you can go ahead and just delete the last couple of numbers that you got for the day cycle.
    If you are getting error messages when you try to get on the board they are having issues and are working in it, it's hit it miss

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Rosie Lass likes this.
  4. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I am using the vials, not pens. My current bottle has been setting out since I opened it but when I am ready for the next bottle, I will keep it in the fridge, but how do you warm it before you give it to Your kitty?

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

You can just fill your syringe and you can leave it out for about 5 minutes if you want to warm it up.To be honest I have never read on our site that leaving it in the fridge and then giving it to their cats bothered them or shouldn't be given to a feline cat if it's cold.
    So you have left the vial out since you bought it, when was that in March?
    Do you see any white floaties in the vial?
    If you keep seeing his numbers rising it might have lost it's potency because of leaving it out that long. I'm going to tag a few members and see what they think after you tell me when you first started using it
    @Rosie Lass

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Rosie Lass
    Next time you need more insulin look at this
    You can get 5 pens for 35.00
    https://www.goodrx.com/lantus

Using the pens
    Just take the cap off the pen and use a U100 syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen! You will see a small gray rubber stopper, insert the syringe there
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Rosie Lass likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Found this also
    I seesome members will call CVS, Rite Aid, Costco, Walgreen's, to get the price for 5 pens
    Posted by another member
    One members posted this
    . I paid $175 for a box of 5 pens at Walmart pharmacy, but GoodRX coupon says you can get it for around $90 if you have a Rite Aid pharmacy near you.

Just call around for the best price

A member just posted this
    Allie was using the Lantus and I just switched to the generic and using the GoodRX I got 5 pens for $81.30 at Walgreens.

GoodRX has a 1-800 number to assist you in using their services to get your pets prescriptions filled if the pharmacy gives you any issues.

I think I found it for you
    GoodRx / Customer service

1 (855) 268-2822

Prices are probably much cheaper now since this post is old
    @Rosie Lass

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @tiffmaxee
    @Bandit's Mom
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)
    Hi ladies do you think Rosie's vial of glargine is still good since she has left it out since March

Edit current vial was started on April 8th
    Rosie also asked in post #12
    What is the advantage of using pens over the vial?

Rosie Lass likes this.
  9. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

I pay $35 for a vile right now. If I keep it refrigerated, it will probably last me at least six months.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I told you how to warm it up in post #4 :cat:

Rosie Lass likes this.
  11. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

My current vile was opened on April 8th and using the 28 day rule, I was planning to replacing it May 6th.

12. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

13. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

My current vile was opened on April 8th And assuming it only lasts 28 days I planned to replace it on May 6th. The next one I will keep refrigerated

14. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

What is the advantage of using pens over the vial? I assume my vet would have to rewrite a prescription too?

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Rosie you won't need to get a new vial on May 6th. Just put the vial in the fridge now . As long as you don't see any floaties in it it should be good and last you to the last drop . Not one member here leaves it out ,always refrigerate it
    . Kept in the fridge, a vial can last 6-9 months. Look for cloudiness or floaties ( tiny particles ) in the vial to tell you if it's going bad

Rosie Lass likes this.
  16. Diane Tyler's Mom

I have always used the pens, I assume getting 5 pens for 35.00 is better than paying 35.00 for just one vial.
    When you purchase the pens the expiration date on them are usually good for 2 years so you just leave all the pens in the fridge middle shelf
    Yes you would need your vet to write you a new script for 5 pens generic lantus glargine

@Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass likes this.
  17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

People go through a vial quickly - so they can leave it out. Our cats are typically on much smaller doses. To warm the insulin you can also hold the syringe in your fingers for a minute after putting insulin in it.

Given that Watson got down to the 50's two days ago, I'd say the insulin is still working! :) That lovely green run earned him a reduction down to 1.75 units. Try to keep that same dose for now, unless he goes under 90 again.

I preferred pens/(cartridges in Canada) because if one fell and broke, I still have the others.

Rosie Lass likes this.
  18. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Rosie Lass
    The dose you put in the unit cell for 4-25 Thurs says 1.7
    I'm sure you meant 1.75 can you fix it

Rosie Lass likes this.
  19. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Fixed it