4/22 RK-AMPS 376 ket 0.6 +4 454 +10.5 576 PMPS 567 +4.5 534 +6 552 ket 6.4 +7.5 475 +8.5 517 +10 498

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JL and Chip, Apr 22, 2024.

1. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Much better start to the day. RK came and met me for food this morning (then got a funny look on her face and retreated because, well, I think she momentarily forgot she’s feral :joyful: ). She then aggressively went after a fresh bowl of canned food. It also looked like she might have imbibed in a bit of dry food overnight.

The AMPS was a touch lower than yesterday’s PM +9. I’m wondering if we might have been heading for better numbers today even without the dose increase, but perhaps it’s more likely due to the subQ fluids she got after the +9 mark.

Ketones are down to 0.6.

I went with the standard 0.25u increase for now. @Wendy&Neko what are your thoughts on Bhooma’s comment about a possible 0.5u increase?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to hear RK is hungry! That’s a step in the right direction. And ketones 0.6
    I’m sure the subQ fluids are contributing to an overall better picture. As is your wonderful care.
    Will be interesting to see how the BGs go today. Hope you both have a great day!
    See you in my morning:)

Bandit's Mom and JL and Chip like this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Love the BK report. Wondered when the "wait, I'm feral!" moments would happen.

Keep an eye on ketones, but maybe keep on the 0.75 for now. You can increase after 4 cycles if she stays above 300. We aren't 100% confirmed blues were from R so being cautious. It's a balance. Could be the additional calories also impacting her numbers. I think you were syringing lower carb too?

4. JL and Chip

In addition to the high-carb/low-carb, eating/not-eating variables, we also finished Clavamox yesterday morning (makes me wonder if that affected her appetite) and added on enrofloxacin today. We’ll see if that affects her BG at all. Her teeth are definitely a consideration in all of this — might end up with a near full-mouth extraction from the looks of it. But that’ll have to wait until she’s stronger.

I’m trying to stay on top of the subQ fluids. Her stomach was gurgling and she seemed interested in canned food at PMPS. I’m trying to offer more LC varieties but for now it’s whatever she’ll eat, including HC and “junk” dry food. Years ago I recall one member saying they’d feed their cat beer and hotdogs if that’s what it took—oh how I relate to that sentiment. :joyful:

Edited to add: Wendy, to answer your question… mostly syringe feeding Recovery food and C/N canned, but also a bit of LC pate on occasion.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

The antibiotic could well have been affecting her appetite. We see it a lot. Will be interesting to see how she goes with the enrofloxacin.
    I agree … whatever it takes when it comes to food and DKA kitties who find it hard to eat. You know yourself if you are feeling sick and can’t eat, there is sometimes something that takes your fancy

6. JL and Chip

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

8. JL and Chip

Yes, I can monitor. Haven’t checked ketones again but will do it when I give R. She’s eating but maybe not quite as well as earlier. She’s eligible for her next dose of mirtaz so will give that as well. Thanks for the input!

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’ll be around for the next 7 or 8 hours while the other side of the world sleeps. @Bandit's Mom is also on my side of the world:). She comes on about 4 or 5 hours after I do and is on later.

Bandit's Mom and JL and Chip like this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree, a touch of R might help.

11. JL and Chip

She’s back to feeling a bit dumpy and dehydrated. I gave more subQ fluids, 2 drops of R, mirtaz, syringe fed Recovery food, and left her with some smelly tuna canned food that got her attention. I also got growled at, which is not a good sign. :( She can have more Ondansetron shortly; I’ll give that when I check her next BG. I’ll also prep some canned C/N and syringe feed more in the coming hours.

Thanks, guys, for being around.

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I see ketones are back up to 6.4
    Hopefully they will come down with the fluids, food and insulin.
    Are you getting enough rest?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. JL and Chip

Yeah, those darned ketones popped higher again. :( I’ll probably check them again around AMPS. And BG is back up to 517. I might try to squeeze in some more subQ fluids before morning for good measure—she’s definitely more dehydrated than she has been. On a slightly positive note, she ate some of the tuna canned food. It’s not a lot of calories but it’s something. I’ll syringe feed more later, even though it’ll likely push her BG even higher. Any other suggestions?

As for enough rest, thanks for caring…:bighug:
    I’m running on coffee and a character flaw know as stubbornness (although I might sugarcoat it and call it dedication or tenacity, lol).

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s good she ate some of the tuna. It shouldn’t push her BGs up. It’s not carbs.
    When I first read the SS you scared me. I thought you’d given 1.5R @+7.5 and 2.5R@+8.5
    Then I realised what you meant! Phew!!
    I don’t consider stubbornness a flaw… I think it’s an asset.
    But do take care of yourself ( this is coming from someone who was terrible at looking after herself when it came to cats and diabetes):rolleyes:

15. JL and Chip

Yikes, good point, sorry about that. I’ll remove it. I do it in my paper notes for easy reference but it’s better not to include in the spreadsheet. Thanks!

16. JL and Chip

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

How long before AMPS?

18. JL and Chip

About 45 minutes

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you post the AMPS? and then we can decide although I’m leaning towards leaving R til midcycle.

20. JL and Chip

Yep, will do

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What did you decide to do about the subQ fluids and has there been an update in the last ketones of 6.4?

22. JL and Chip

I did give more subQ fluids. I’ll take another ketones test shortly at AMPS (so no, not another test since the 6.4).

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.