4/18 Brian +10 34, +11 45, AMPs 54

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nate2021, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Nate - my two cents is to skip and take a reduction tonight. The other option is to wait two hours from when you last fed HC & MC to see if he stays up without food but that will put your shot time off. If it was me, I'd skip.

3. JaxBenji

I should add you need to monitor for another hour or two, even if you skip, just to make sure he stays up.

4. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

thank you I'll skip again I think. I was a bit concerned as some of the depot should have drained from the skip the day prior, I'm wondering if I might need to be considering dropping 0.5iu? I've read some journal articles that suggest that but not sure if an option with tr.

Thank you!

5. JaxBenji

I'm not experienced enough to say but I personally would take the 0.25 reduction. Of course, you are welcome to reduce by 0.5u and see if it holds. Perhaps @Wendy&Neko or @tiffmaxee can stop by before your PMPS to throw in their two cents.

6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

That 34 definitely merits another reduction. Might be better to skip the AM dose.

He is in a rush to come down the dosing ladder!

Suzanne & Darcy and Nate2021 like this.
  7. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

And you could try the 0.5U reduction and see if it holds. It's not strictly by the book, but some kitties want to race down in dosing and protocols be damned! :)

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Nate, I’m just going to ask a couple of people what they think you should do with Brian’s dose moving forward.
    He is obviously telling you he wants less insulin and the depot is very full.

10. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Thank you I'd really appreciate it. His 30 this morning was quite concerning to see, I've never seen him eat so fast and desperately. I've been leaning towards at the least bringing him down by 0.5iu

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Nate, I have spoken to a few experienced people and we all agree that a 0.5 U reduction would be best.
    I would still test closely as Brian is on a mission.

12. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Cheers for doing this for me and Brian. I'll go ahead and do that and test closely as you say. Thank you :)

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reduction. Brian sure is keeping you busy. You need to get some sleep!

14. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Sometimes it can be a struggle to find a dose you can safely shoot consistently.

All things considered - 4 reductions in 7 days, no insulin given for 2 of the most recent 4 cycles, lime green 5 of the 7 most recent cycles, a 34..struggling to keep the numbers up with MC and HC food. I think a 0.5u reduction is prudent.

Better a day too high than an hour too low.

Hiw did you discover your kitty was diabetic?

15. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

haha sure is. We have a baby on the way so my girlfriend thinks it's great practice for me. Thnx!

16. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Cheers for confirming this, that was my overall feeling on it but I'm pretty new to it all. The food not keeping him up was a bit too close for me personally, his eyes were like saucers and so desperate for food was stressful for a minute there, so I'm thinking if need be I'll bring him back up vs using food too keep him safe.Will be interesting to see what he does!

He was drinking a lot and started losing weight. The vet did curves on him every other day for his first 10 days and he didn't come out of the black and red numbers. Looking back I think he may have been diabetic for quite some before diagnosis, at least 4-5 months.

Cheers!

17. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck, Nate. Brian IS keeping you busy. Do you have a picture of him you can post?

Nate2021 likes this.
  18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I was a little worried about how much sleep were getting, and what if you fell deeply asleep one day and Brian decided to dive. Does your girlfriend test?

19. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Good luck with the reduction. He's on a mission for sure, it looks like.

Nate2021 likes this.
  20. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

She isn't too confident with testing yet, she's been a bit sick unfortunately, so I've just been doing it. That's exactly what has happened a few times, slept through my alarms. That 34 I caught was 1.5 hours after I was meant to get up :(

21. Suzanne & Darcy

I find that setting my alarm clock (or phone) far away from me so that I have to get up and walk to turn off the alarm works for me. Otherwise, I just silence it and go back to sleep!

Summer and Susie (GA) and Dyana like this.
  22. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I used to take 45 minutes naps, on the couch with the lamp on and the alarm (phone) on the coffee table. If I went to bed, I had to put my alarm somewhere where I had to get up out of bed to turn it off, otherwise I would find it hours later under my pillow.

23. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Really good idea thank you. I was maybe going to get an alarm clock separate from my phone too so both can go off. Thanks :)

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, I'm really good at hitting the "snooze bar" my husband used to call it the "Suz Bar."

Nate2021 likes this.
  25. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Yep I'm going to have to do this, and it's exactly like you say, get too sleep deprived, sleep too deep, even if I wake enough to check the time etc I'm back to sleep before I've tested

26. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

haha that must have taken a lot of snooze presses for it to earn that title!