4/13 Mouzer: AMPS 130/+3 141/+6 69/+109/PMPS 116/+1 134/+3 155/+6 81

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cherryl & Mouzer, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

4/12 Mouzer: AMPS 73/+1 154/+2 118/+3 90/+7 81/+11 91/PMPS 73/+2 82/+4 129/+6 140/+10 103

2. Cherryl & Mouzer

I just got these syringes as the 0.5 dose went lime for Mouzer. I had been using a box that Jill sent to me in 2017 and they are ReliOn syringes, so those are the syringes that were used up until we got down to this 0.25 dose and I had to start new syringes.

I have some syringes that someone in here sent to me that have Well at Walrgreens on them and they are just as uncomfortable to use as these CarePoint syringes are.

I can tell they are not the same compared to the ReliOn syringes I had been using from Jill. I can tell something is odd about how much in drop appearance these CarePoints and the Wells Walgreens have to put out. I have not been comfortable since I had to start using something other than what Jill sent to me.

I had this CarePoint syringe link to the ADW Diabetes website from my bookmarks in folder from 2017 and that is all I knew to go buy when I went to get more this time.

So, you have done whatever all that is to do from the caliper sticky page to figure out how many mm is in the CarePoints? And this 0.30mm will be the same for all of these syringes? I am not sure I understand what I am asking, so if I am confusing to you, dont feel bad, this whole thing confuses me :D

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

ReliOn is only $12.58 for a box of 100. If that's what you're comfortable with :)

The mm per unit is different for each brand of syringe. The 1unit = 1.2mm is only for the Carepoint Vet brand!

These are the measurements for the other brands:
    Monoject 1.24mm = 1u
    ReliOn 1.32 mm = 1u
    BD Ultrafine II (Canada) 1.5mm = 1u
    BD Ultrafine II (US) 1.62mm = 1u
    Carepoint 1.2mm = 1u
    UltiCare VetRX 1.25mm = 1u

Now I wonder if I have confused you! :D

4. Cherryl & Mouzer

Because I have read this sticky so many times over and have the largest headache of life going on due to that, I am making this post hahaha
    This link dosing with calipers has me confused. I am sorry but I have tried to explain my issues with comprehension to such things as this.
    You have to have this disability to understand it, I guess :(
    If I can simply go by the list at the link, where Carepoint is 1.2mm and divide by 4 because there are 4 0.25's in 1u, then I am good with the mm info and am to do 0.3 or 0.30, whatever the caliper requires for that. But because each syringe is different, and if I am to count drops to find the mm, that is most likely not going to happen. I cannot consistently put out whatever a drop is, to be equal drops sizes each time, to count in order to find mm.

Below is where this all began with confusion, as I took the CarePoint 1.22mm, mentioned by Marje, and divided it by 4.

Being as there was no yes or no answer to the division by 4, and I am directed to read the sticky again, I guessed I must have to go re-read the counting of the drops - which is just not possible for me to do. Drops come big or small, never the same.

So, I headed back to read the page again and something about each syringe being different and counting drops in between ... I forget, I have to go back and find it hahaha But anyhow, so this is the headache and because I got so confused, I kept re-reading the link which has led to a massive migraine and a whole lot of confusion for me.

Because people without such a disability cannot understand the struggles with it, I often muddle around just figuring things out by trial and error.
    But this is a matter of life and death for Mouzer, I cannot do that this time. I must be accurate.
    Everytime someone throws a link at me to go run to stickies I have read many times over, my mind locks up in sheer fear, because if I am asking the question, I have read and do not understand and I get sent back to whatever link - My mind cannot handle it. I should not have to apologize for a friggin disability darn it lol but I feel guilty that I have this struggle and I am expected to be like others and I am not like others :(
    Bleh! This is making me sick - I am going to have to go to bed before I can start my work, so to get the sick to go away :(

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Bandit's Mom

Not sure why are you are confusing counting drops with the callipers :)

Counting drops is the method that was practised before 1/2 unit syringes and callipers were used. And yes, it takes quite a bit of practice to get consistent sized drops. I have tried and given up.

With callipers, you use the mm specification for your brand of syringe to measure the dose. For Carepoint Vet syringes, 1U = 1.20mm and so 0.25U would 1.20/4 = 0.30mm. You adjust the callipers to 0.33 mm and use that as the reference to measure your dose. Ignore the markings on the syringes. You would measure 0.33mm from the top of the syringe with the callipers.

Have you seen the videos in the callipers sticky? They show you how to measure using callipers. I don't have a lightbox. Some people use apps on their iPad.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  7. Cherryl & Mouzer

Because I had asked in regards to finding 0.25 from the 1.2, am I to divide by 4, which I did use 1.22 because that is what Marje typed and I did not go look at the sticky again at that time - And I was not told a yes or no, but told to go read the sticky, so being as I have read the sticky and did not get a yes or no on the division to find 0.25, I figured I must have to count drops. What else was there? I had to guess.

Now, lol, I am confused about that 0.30mm ... and measuring 0.33mm.
    And top of syringe - there is the top of the syringe where you push the plunger and there is the bottom of the syringe where the zero line begins, so I am not sure now where for that ... God help me lol

And I have watched the videos but I will not be able to grasp it until I have the caliper in my hand. The video is somehow bumpy as I watch it and I just stopped, I will wait for the caliper to get here and go watch again. And there are two videos but it seems they are the same, so I will have to watch both again and make sure of that.

I dont have a light box or an ipad. I use my stove light.

Believe me, I have now been to that sticky, and read it all over and over and over, and did watch the videos but that is too confusing and will have to be done again when I get the calipers - but I have been to that sticky so many times now, I could puke my guts out :D

8. Cherryl & Mouzer

@Bandit's Mom

Do I need to go back to 0.5u and just let Mouzer hypo out on me?, to flatten him out again?
    Or try the 0.5 skinny? Where the plunger will fall just under the 0.5 mark?
    I do not like seeing so much blue with Mouzer.
    I am accustomed to Mouzer's blues but not when it is the majority, and it is appearing to be that.
    His nadirs are perfect, as a majority, but the majority blues surrounding them is not good and too often up around the 140.
    I am even accustomed to his having an occasional 140, but he is having too many up there above 120.

9. Bandit's Mom

He does look like he could use more insulin, but I am hesitant because I am not sure how consistent the current dose is. I am not blaming you. It is difficult to dose consistently without callipers. I used to think I was dosing fine till I started using my phone camera and callipers!

I wonder whether he is getting 0.25U or less or more?

Here's a photo I took while measuring a dose using the callipers. You don't bother with the syringe markings.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xCmD_1LSILrjJvgWN8UyhZrk_1Tx2y6q/view?usp=sharing

10. Cherryl & Mouzer

When I draw - I can see the top of the plunger sitting on the 0.5 mark. When I look from side view, the plunger is not a complete circle, where all insulin is sitting on the 0.5 mark. The bottom portion of the plunger is below the 0.5 mark. So, I twist until the upper portion of the plunger is to where 0.25 should be and the bottom of the plunger is lower at that point.
    I fuss with it and squirt out insulin, over and over, until I finally give up and just give what I got with that plunger being where top is at 0.25 but it not being circular, bottom is below 0.25. Because I am afraid to give too much, he is most likely getting less than 0.25.

I do not know if I should draw where the top of the plunger is just below the 0.5 mark, and the bottom of the plunger will be below that, and see what happens, or continue what I am doing. Even with calipers, the plunger not being circular seems it will make a difference - just guessing here.

Is that photo with 0.25 drawn? Because it looks like more than I am drawing.

EDIT: I dont think you have read this yet, so I am just going to edit to add:
    The first two packages of the syringes I now have, the plunger has been sitting lopsided, where top portion has more insulin than bottom portion, not even all the way around.
    I just opened another package and I dont think the plungers are lopsided, so I guess they decided to mix in throw away trash syringes with my 500 count and that means throwing away syringes, meaning they ripped me off hahaha
    So, there is still the line issue for now, until the caliper gets here, where the space between marks are not as wide as have been on the other syringes I was using.

11. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

All of this is theoretical until you get the calipers, Cherryl. I am like you. I need to have the tools in my hand to understand the demonstrations. When you have the calipers set to .3 mm, you will not be looking at lines on the syringe anymore. They will not matter. The only things that will matter will be the place where the syringe plunger stops and the plunger itself.

This was the best photo to help me until I got the calipers to measure .25 units. The bottom of the plunger should roughly line up with the bottom of the .5 line.

Quarter unit.jpg

12. Cherryl & Mouzer

I do have that photo - If only the lines on these syringes were as wide apart and defined lol I would have no problem :)
    It is more like there is almost twice the space between the lines in the photo than there is with the syringes I now have.
    I do not know if that would be because the photo could be magnified or if it is actually this way.
    --Actually, the syringes I have, look the same with or without magnifier - there is not much space between lines and lines are not as clear as the photo.

And the first two packages of the syringes I now have, the plunger has been sitting lopsided, where top portion has more insulin than bottom portion, not even all the way around. I just opened another package and I dont think the plungers are lopsided, so I guess they decided to mix in throw away trash syringes with my 500 count and that means throwing away syringes, meaning they ripped me off hahaha

I am glad you understand having to have tools in hand to understand demonstrations.
    Some people's minds work better with hands on and I am one of those.
    Thank you for trying to help :)

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  13. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

14. Cherryl & Mouzer

Mouzer is OTJ-2 as of April 28, 2021
    Just to make a few things clear...

I did not care that Mouzer was a long term diabetic. I have history to show how Mouzer reacts to food and honey and I was not going to forget it, and that served well that I did not allow anyone to force me into forgetting it, and that is what was being attempted and no, I did not appreciate it. And because I did not appreciate that, I was accused of 'complaining and not being appreciative'. Interesting, I thought. With me, suggestions are welcomed and appreciated, orders are unwelcomed, unappreciated and will be refused. That has not one thing to do with 'appreciation'. One can be appreciative and still have a mind of their own to do what they know is best for their cat and for them too. Appreciation does not mean one must follow orders and the two are not to be confused.

I am most appreciative to everyone on this forum, for their suggestions, their help and the push to shoot when I was too scared to shoot, and for all of the many stickies I have read, although I admit, I did not appreciate the fly by sticky drops into my condos that were speaking against what was already decided will take place. That was not being suggestive.
    That was dropping off orders and not even coming back to respond to how I felt about those orders, meaning it was not cared what I felt, nor was it cared how that Mouzer's SS was showing I got no sleep, and I have a lot of work to do to be going around with no sleep, so that was not cared about either.

I was not being cared about, period, except by one person who had been with me all through my condos and saw what was taking place and they really did care. Those fly by order drops, coming from people who paid us no mind except to do fly by order drops and then having me pm'ed with gaslighting techniques, accusing me of complaining, being abussive and not being appreciative, when I spoke up, were taking nothing into consideration, except to fly by and drop those orders, expecting I keep my mouth shut about how I felt in regards to said orders. No! I do not appreciate that and no healthy minded person would.

I do not treat people badly, I treat them accordingly.
    And like a few of you did to me, this is what I have to say and I do not care what you come back with and how you feel about it. I am all to informed in regards to narcissistic personalities. I speak the truth.

Thank you for all I have learned. Fortunately for me, I will never have to return to anyone's control freak narcissism. I now know what to do and can do it by myself, when it comes to diabetes. I can stand alone and know what I am doing. I never have to return here again, asking for any help whatsoever. Thank God!

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Reason for edit: Clearing some things up