4/12 Mr Kitty AMPS 134

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FrostD, Apr 12, 2021.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Last post

Come on down a little more please...

The insulin seems to be stinging a bit, it did a little at the 6.5U but he was NOT happy with me this morning and the 7U. I know Levemir is also an option, but of course I just bought new Lantus yesterday.

Is it possible to inject in two different sites in the scruff to reduce stinging? As in say half the dose in one spot, half in another nearby. Or does that mess everything up and act more like a reduced dose?

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I have seen other CGs give doses split in two shots. I believe it was Suzanne and LT, who had been on a two drop dose. It was easier for Suzanne to measure one drop per syringe so she gave him two shots each time.

FrostD likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s a really good question. I can’t see how it would act like a reduced dose if you gave the two shots right after each other. @Wendy&Neko

4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Poor Mr. Kitty. Figures it would start to sting as soon as you buy a new insulin vial:banghead:.
    Best of luck with the new dose!

FrostD likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Anyone with a cat on more than 30 units gives their dose in two shots. So you can split the dose, you just have to be really careful on the amounts in each syringe. On larger doses, a small total difference is not as noticeable. I have heard of some caregivers saying that splitting the larger dose makes a difference in absorption, but not a consistent comment. Also not sure if splitting the dose makes a difference in now much it stings, but worth a try. Are you warming the insulin by holding tip of the syringe with your fingers for a bit before injecting?

Have you considered having Mr. Kitty tested for acromegaly and insulin auto antibodies (IAA)? It's what we suggest people do when their cat gets to 6 units of insulin. Usually there is some other condition at play when a cat gets to that dose, though we've seen cats on less insulin with both those conditions.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sorry that Mr. Kitty is reacting to the Lantus. Poor boy. It's Murphy's Law that this would happen since you just bought new Lantus. Darcy is right now at 33 units, so he has to have two syringes of Levemir and he also gets a syring of Novolin R as a booster on many days.

FrostD likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you are seeing blue numbers now! It's been a long haul for you to get to this point. Are you still needing to give Mirataz? Or is that just when Mr. Kitty is having a pancreatitis flare up?

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thanks! I've not tried warming it, will try that tonight. Am considering the testing...I was hopeful we might start to go down the ladder once we broke into these numbers but it's not happening. Vet appointment scheduled for mid May, so I'll make the decision a little closer to then.

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'm glad too, he (obviously) feels much better at these numbers!

Thankfully I've only had to give the Mirataz during a flare up, he loves his food, I usually have to fight him off to even get it in the feeder

Suzanne & Darcy and tiffmaxee like this.