4/11 Tyler AMPS 256 +6 272 PMPS 256 +3 260 +4 244 +5 224

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Brian & Tyler, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Well Mr. Tyler is still hanging around the mid 200's this morning. I hope that this is a bounce off the last green, I don't want to have to up the poor guy a 1/4 unit if I don't have to. But we do what we gotta do to keep my good buddy safe. He was being extra lovable this morning. He sleeps on the edge of the bed next to my pillow, so sometimes I use him as a pillow... until the fur makes its way to my eyes and into my beard!

Well ladies, it's Friday! I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Ms. Rachel, my sympathies are still with you! Be well!

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 4/11 Tyler AMPS 256

Hi guys .. ok tyler, that's enough of these sunny yellows! How about some cool blues? Remember, our kitties are never aware of the amount of insulin they get .. the dose only matters to us .. they just know they feel better! have a great weekend!

3. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Re: 4/11 Tyler AMPS 256 +6 272

Hi everyone, we has a question...

So Chris (& China) mentioned last night that if I don't see any blue or green by the end of today's cycle, I should probably try 1.25u. Which according to protocol, that is what should be done, but he has seen low numbers on this dose. Given my schedule, the thought of raising his dose worries me because I am not always home! Any suggestions for me if I have to raise his dose tomorrow?

He has taken a full three days to clear a bounce before, so I'm hoping that is what is going on inside his little body! I got my patience pants on today!!! But should we need to increase the dose, I will do what is necessary for my little buddy, I just want him to be happy & healthy! So any advice on that, would be appreciated. :D

Thank you all for your advice and support so far, you all have been a huge help! We'd still be on that dry Hill's ghabbage, so thank you all a trillion times!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think if you don't see better numbers tonight, you should go ahead and go up to 1.25 tomorrow. Are you able to test more on the weekends? That would be the best time if you can

You test enough that I think Tyler would be safe ....and it's better to not keep him at a dose that's not getting the results you want.

We'd like to see him in some better numbers at nadir...and tonight will be the 6th cycle since the 85 so he should be through bouncing

5. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Thanks Chris! I have to ask & ask again, I still have my training wheels on!!!

I am home tomorrow, so I can test him. I'll start tomorrow on 1.25 if we don't see a blue or green tonight. What if I have a blue for AMPS tomorrow? Still go ahead with 1.25?

Side note: he didn't even flinch at the 30 guage! I'm proud of the little guy!

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/11 Tyler AMPS 256 +6 272 PMPS 256

if he's going to clear the bounce and come back into greens, it would most likely be by this evening. i think it's safe to decide to increase tomorrow.

i should know but don't remember, do you have a timed feeder? if so, are you using it while you're gone yet? i would feel better about trying to get Tyler tightly regulated if you have a feeder that could be doling out food while you're gone to keep him safe.

7. julie & punkin (ga)

if you have a blue am preshot and you're going to be home, i'd give the 1.0 dose another cycle to see how low it's taking him. I'd probably get a few more tests tomorrow day cycle either way - like a +2, 4 and 6 or +3, 5 and 7.

8. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Thanks ladies!

Ms. Julie, I do not have a timed feeder, but do feed them pretty much the same times every day. That is on my SS notes field.

I will be home all day tomorrow and will test as much as possible, whether I increase the dose or not!

I'll be back to report his +3,4, & 5 tonight if my evening goes according to plan

9. julie & punkin (ga)

tonight's plan sounds great.

so is he eating while you are at work?

10. Chris & China (GA)

The main reason I suggested he go ahead and increase tomorrow (If his numbers don't come down on this cycle) is because he does have such a heavy schedule of school and work.

Weekends are really the only time he can get more tests in than he already does, so he'd have a couple of days to make sure the 1.25 wouldn't take him too low (or figure out what he'd want to do for the upcoming week in regards to feeding/testing)

Just wanted to explain my reasoning behind suggesting the increase tomorrow AM..IF he doesn't show some better numbers tonight

11. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Re: 4/11 Tyler AMPS 256 +6 272 PMPS 256 +3 260

Hi there!!!

His +3 was 260... Not looking promising, but I'm ready to increase tomorrow, if we have to.

Julie, I work 2 miles from home, so I come home for lunch

Be back in a half hour to report his +4

12. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Re: 4/11 Tyler AMPS 256 +6 272 PMPS 256 +3 260 +4 244

From the look of things, the good Captain is getting a dose increase tomorrow morning.

13. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Brian,

No dosing advice from me - I'm just checking in to see how Tyler is doing. Looks like he's just doing a lot of bouncing right now. Silly kitty!

Good luck with a dosecrease if you choose to go with one in the morning!
    Shelly

14. Chris & China (GA)

He'll be OK...He's got a very good daddybean who loves him dearly and won't ever let anything bad happen to him!

Maybe he'll surprise us all and throw a green AMPS!!

Cats do love to keep us guessing!

15. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

+5 is 224, I am going to bed soon. Hoping for a blue AMPS, but have the syringe loaded to what I hope is 1.25, I did not think a quarter unit would be that difficult to read, but it is very difficult, very difficult indeed!!

16. Chris & China (GA)

Here are some pictures to help, but yeah, we all just have to kind of do our best. The other option is to use calipers. The important part is to just try to make the dose as consistent as possible

Microdosing pictures

Dosing with calipers

17. julie & punkin (ga)

just fyi, it's recommended that we not preload a syringe. the syringes are coated on the inside with a lubricant and there is a possibility of it contaminating & degrading the insulin. Look at this pdf, scroll down to page 3 on the left-hand side. the summary is in the middle column.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/9/2665.full.pdf

i'm just thinking ahead. what are your goals for him - are you wanting to get him tightly regulated and work towards going OTJ? or are you wanting to keep him below organ damage levels?

18. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Yes, I want him regulated.
    Yes, I want to work towards OTJ.
    No, I do not know what I am doing.
    No, I do not know where to look on this site for all the answers. No, I did not know about preloaded syringes being a bad idea, I have been preloading my am shots because I am not super functional at 4:30 am.
    Yes, I will wake up earlier from now on and get fully awake so I can get syringe ready at time of injection, no more preloaded shots, not even for 12 hours.
    Yes, I think this is hard as hell and very scary, as it is not my body I am tampering with.
    No, I do not know if I am doing a good job, mediocre job, or a horrible job.
    Yes, I do care about Tyler very much and do not want to destroy his organs due to my ignorance.
    Yes, I do have a ridiculous schedule and feel exhausted all the time and feel that Tyler is paying the price.
    No, I do not have anyone to physically assist with looking after Tyler.

19. Chris & China (GA)

Brian...You're really doing a very good job with Tyler!! Don't doubt that!!

You're here...You're asking good questions, and listening to the people here who have been living this disease 24/7...some for many years

None of us know all the answers, and we all do the best we can...and with your hectic schedule, I applaud how hard you're trying to do the best you can for Tyler!

He's a very lucky cat to have you!

(and I don't think anybody is super functional at 4:30am!)

20. julie & punkin (ga)

brian, i hope you didn't think i am in any way criticizing you - i'm not! people do have different goals and we try to help them work towards whatever that goal is. i'm just asking questions to try to help discern a game plan for you. truly, that's all. i'm trying to think how to push his numbers lower while keeping him safe.

i have no doubts about your commitment - none at all. and i know how very hard this is - i did it for several years before punkin died. that's why i stay to help teach others, because i get how much you love Tyler and how much you want him to do well. i also know how hard it is to find info on here, which i why i retrieve info, quote and repost everything. how could anyone possibly know any of it without those of us with more experience helping as best as we can? the first months doing this is like a college crash course on Feline Diabetes.

and you're doing a great job, brian. :YMHUG:

Since he didn't come down into greens tonight, i'd go ahead and increase to the 1.25u in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.