4/11/21 - Squeaky! +6=154 !! AMPS = 387 +6=374 PMPS = 286 +6=273

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-10-21-squeaky-amps-220-o.245992/#navigation

My damn cat kept me up until 4:00 AM videoconferencing with his friends!
    .....He had the Zoomies!

So we finally broke the yellow barrier and got blue. But Squeaky didn't eat much last night. I had two selections out for him (cooked pork and raw pork -- both of which he's been eating all along, with baby food). He ate some homemade beef kibble (plain jerky) at shot time. Rejected raw beef and baby food in the morning. During the night, right after mid-cycle BG, ate only a little baby food.

This disinterest in food seems to happen when his numbers get low, he doesn't like to eat before his shot so much. That's why we got into trouble before. He wouldn't eat before his shot, so I was giving him some canned food and dry food -- as healthy as I could find, but it's never perfect-- but it caused his pancreatitis to flare up. So I'm not sure what to do, I am definitely challenged.

Waiting for pre-shot test.

Wishing everyone had a beach-filled day.

Whoops he made it over to the bowl before I could take it away, he's eating now about 1/2 hour before preshot. The cooked pork. More a snack than a meal, though. Yay. So the numbers won't be accurate.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    carfurby (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see that blue. I hope Squeaky surfs safely today. When cats get into more normal numbers they don't need to eat as much because their bodies process the food better.

Jan D & Squeaky and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Remember onset is usually not for 2 hours so he has time to eat. I am glad you have broken through glucose toxicity.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  4. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Hi Jan! I have the same trouble with Pearl and not wanting to eat enough at times. Hope to see Squeaky in some more blue soon. Hope you get some rest today too!

5. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Gals! Wow we're in bounce land today! Well Elise, I will have to find something to read about glucose toxicity so I can try to understand it! That would help the MOM relax! And I will see if he eats within 2 hours or so. Hmmm, if he doesn't have to eat much, Carla, that is good! Save on the sirloin steak bill LOL (anything to keep the cat happy!!!). Margaret thanks for sharing your experience with Pearl! Blue blue blue, let's all get blue!

Have a lovely day!!!!!

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It's hard finding food they will eat consistently. It's tough with my civvies, even more so when it's a diabetic. I just got this today in my chewy order. Trip likes dry food the best, but I'm just not going there except the little bit for over night. Since chewy was out of her VE chicken I am trying this. It's not hard kibble, rather soft so should mix well with water. I put some dry in bowl to see who will eat it. Tux ate some, PJ tried it. I left bowl down and later saw Trip finishing it. All 3 now sleeping. Will mix with water next time. if this is a keeper, I will try another flavor next order.

https://www.chewy.com/meat-mates-chicken-dinner-grain-free/dp/186420

7. Jan D & Squeaky

You are so sweet for writing this! :bighug: Well one of my problems with Squeaky is he can't have poultry, he is allergic to it. I disregarded this and egads, I think it caused his last pancreatitis flareup. So now we're back to boring food. However I did grind up some 50% protein kibble in the nutriblender, and I put a little bit on top of his food and mixed it around. He mostly tries to lick it off the top but he did eat the whole portion of raw pork with the kibble topping on it.

Squeaky also is allergic to rabbit and tends not to like the heavier meats like venison. He is a challenge. I switch back and forth between beef and pork, raw and cooked, and cook beef hearts/liver with some egg. Most of the time he's fine but today, fussy fussy fussy.

Paula I hope you are doing well and hope this kibble you describe works. Oh, I see they also have a beef and a lamb, might be worth a try!!! Thanks much.

8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Jan,

Here is the least jargony explanation of glucose toxicity I can find on the web, but basically it says that if your kitty spends too much time in high numbers it develops a resistance to the effects of insulin, so you keep needing to give more and more. When you break through the toxicity, the insulin starts to work and you see lower numbers.

https://petdiabetes.fandom.com/wiki/Glucose_toxicity

9. Jan D & Squeaky

WOW :bighug::bighug::bighug: This is a wonderful explanation of what seems to be happening, and gives me tremendous hope. Thank you sooooo much. Let's see what happens in the next several days. I feel relieved.....

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  10. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi Jan , thank you for posting that link. I think that is what I’m dealing with now. I can’t get him below the 300’s.