4/1 Mo - Happy New Year! AMPS 389, +7 349, PMPS 362 - pics :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by katy and mo (GA), Jan 3, 2021.

1. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Previous post

Since last updating, we have increased Mo's dose with no results. He has been very purry lately AND the other day he jumped up on the couch and sat on my lap for 10 minutes!!! He hasn't done that in MONTHS! So that was lovely :) He has still been waking us up for food around 3-4am though :( He has stopped drinking extra water so I don't really know what that was about. He used to get very annoyed when I would pat him, but now he just purrs and wants more. Sounds like his attitude is starting to change, yay!

Mo goes into the vet for the day tomorrow to have bloods done and I guess they're going to watch him. They asked me to bring his insulin in, which kind of implies that they might keep him in overnight? I really hope not if he doesn't need to.

I went to open a new packet of needles and they gave me the wrong kind :facepalm: uugggghhhh. So we've been having to re-use a needle until we get to the vet tomorrow. Thankfully Mo doesn't seem to notice but yeah, not ideal.

Fingers crossed they find something tomorrow that is easily fixed that will help his diabetes get better :)

Sue and Luci and thebigfuzz like this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice on the lap time and the purrs. I hope the vet visit goes well and you can get some syringes.

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Odd...but with what appears to be a high-dose cat, you may be asking for testing for ACRO/IAA...something is going on that's more than just simple diabetes. I hope they have some thoughts to discuss with you on tests to help determine what else is going on.

Best of luck tomorrow and Happy New Year to you too!

4. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

That's the plan hopefully! We are on our way towards finding out what is causing his insulin resistance. IAA and Acro have been brought up but I'm not sure they'll be doing tests for that tomorrow.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the vet visit tomorrow. I wonder if they want to see how you inject, to eliminated injection errors as the reason a higher dose is needed. As if. :rolleyes: Try insisting on the acro/IAA tests - I had to ask my vet to humour me. You are getting blood done anyway, which you have to get a blood draw anyway for those tests. Cheaper for you to do it all at once. You are the customer.

Too bad you can't get needles like we do from human pharmacies, cheaper and easier to get any time. Any chance they might give you a prescription to do that?

Love to hear that Mo is giving you some lap time. :) Sometimes cats will feel better as you get closer to that dose that moves them.

6. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Thank you! They did mention they wanted to check the way we are giving injections but never ended up doing that? I'm pretty confident we are doing it correctly. We would have to be doing it really wacky for the insulin to not be taking effect right?

OK, I will. I'll make them test for EVERYTHING. I don't care about the cost.

Ugh, I know right? I'm not sure they could give me a prescription but buying the needles from the vet is pretty cheap anyway and sometimes the vet nurses give them to me for free on the side so it's not too much of a problem. Just sucks that I've been given the wrong ones :(

That's what I'm hoping!! Thanks Wendy, I hope you're well :)

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Not giving insulin injections correctly is often listed as something vets should check for when cats aren't responding to insulin. Since Lantus is pretty stinky, you'd know pretty soon if it wasn't getting in. There are lots of videos out there now on how to give insulin too. Our vet has us in to show us how to give insulin after Neko was diagnosed - of course, pre COVID.

8. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Our vet also showed us. Made us practice on him using saline and then she gave us tips. I sniff his fur in the spot I've given it just to make sure it's gone in. You're right, Lantus is pretty stinky!

9. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

10. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Mo did a baby blep today. It was cute so I had to get a photo of it. He was unimpressed. 20210104_161036.jpg Then I went outside and saw him laying there all cute. He was unimpressed because I didn't have food to give him lol.
    20210104_193026.jpg

11. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

+3 353
    Insulin having no effect :(