3/5, Susie, 187 AMPS, 224 @+2, 215 @4.5, 198 @6.75, 252@8.25

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Mar 5, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-3-susie-amps-241-240-3.244021/

I got so excited seeing a blue number (187 at AMPS) that I forgot I was supposed to "stall" or reduce the dose. I'll keep a close eye on her today. I didn't see (or missed) the TR protocol for what to do when numbers are below 200 at AMPS/PMPS. Was there a specifc instruction based on the specific low numbers under 200? I saw the SLGS instructions of no shot, stalling or feeding then testing later to see when shot was safe. Is it more based on the number you get regarding the steps you take in TR?

One more question for you folks tonight. I am tired of getting up at 4:30 am to test, feed and shoot Susie by 5:00 am. Can someone tell me how to safely, and slowly, transition these shots to 6:00 am?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

I am sure you have seen that many of us shoot with PS below 200, so it is not a problem per se.... the issues is that Summer is quite new to Lantus, so caution suggests to insure she is not on a crazy dive before shooting again.

It is done, and I am sure it will be fine, but do keep a very close eye on her and have you HC and honey on ready! My honey is always crystallized when I need it, and then I panick as I melt it....:p

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

She was back up to 224 @+2. I have my hyto took kit ready to go. She did not eat all her breakfast which is highly unusual. She has been "out and about" a little this morning which makes me happy. Thanks for getting back with me, Karen.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

The increase at +2 (which I usually refer to the "food bump") is a good sign that she won't go kamikaze on you today, but keep an eye on her, we don't know whether she is naughty kitty yet...

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

You are funny, Karen. I appreciate the humor during this stressful time of learning. She was down to 215 at +4.50 so I am feeling pretty good about everything. I must say I am glad I did not start with the originally suggested dose of 1.25. She needs to get used to this insulin.

Hercule's mum likes this.
  6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Hi Summer and Susie,

Have you, Summer, decided whether you would like to follow TR or SLGS? I only ask because I don't see it in your signature. Susie won't say:cat:

So far it looks like Lantus is smoother for Susie, which is great!

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  7. Summer and Susie (GA)

I have SLGS in my spreadsheet. I'll go in and put it in my signature. I really don't know which way to go but I do want to go slowly with this so I guess the SLGS.

8. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I thought that was right; thanks! And you can always change later to TR if you want ;)

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Jan. I need to not feel "locked in" to a dosing protocol at this time. That may change down the road. Seems SLGS is right for Sus, and me, right now.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nice to see Susie showing off some more blues.:cool:
    SHOOOOOT! Seriously though, on this forum, we suggest that if you are following TR and the first time you get a number under 150, you do not feed and post for help. Plus there is this Sticky Note:Tight Regulation: Becoming Data Ready to Shoot / Handle Lower Pre-shot Numbers should you decide at some point to switch to TR.

I also wouldn't call you brand new. If you read the SLGS instructions on handling lower preshots, there is a section for those who are new, and a follow on section for those who have more experience and data. Eventually, with enough of the latter, SLGS peeps will shoot as low as 90. Given your ability to monitor and familiarity with testing, you were fine to shoot this morning, which is what the rest of the cycle also said.

11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Okay, Wendy. Thanks. I guess I am not following TR. Maybe my thinking about being extra careful at the AMPS and PMPS goes back to the Vetsulin days but I KNOW I have read to not shoot if the AMPS or PMPS are below 200. To stall and retest then make the determination of when it is safe to shoot. Sorry, but there is some confusing information or maybe I am just confused.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021