? 3/5 Harley AMPS 415 +6 187

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Agnes and Harley, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Agnes and Harley

Agnes and Harley New Member

Hello Everyone,

It is our 2nd day at the Forum. Bandit's Mom Helped me fix the spreadsheet and signature.

We are on day 4 of Lantus. We started at 1.0 unit at the vet. I may have gotten a fur shot on Wed. This morning Harley threw up his breakfast (he ate too fast), so I only gave him 0.5 (per the vet). He did eat a 2nd breakfast 30 minutes later. (With the switch from kibble to wet food, they wake me up at 6:00 am so i have been getting up to give them breakfast, then 2 hrs later test, feed again, and insulin. Today i decided to train them to make it to 8:00 am, and Harley got too hungry and ate too fast)

Should I be resetting him to 0.5 right now? Since his +6 numbers are already ging down to the blue. My gut is telling me to see how he does at 0.5.

Thank you,
    Agnes

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome from me. Here is the link to your previous post here, for continuity:https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-4-harley-amps-416-6-178-8-219-ct.244127/

I think I'd stick with the 1 unit for now. Due to the nature of the Lantus depot, which is still building, the depot can influence 4-6 cycles after you reduce. Meaning that those blues you saw today could be because of the 1 unit you've been shooting so far.

I highly recommend reading our yellow starred Sticky Notes, if you haven't so far. People will be asking which dosing method you'd like to follow. Since you are feeding just low carb wet, the choice is up to you, based on goals for Harley, and your life style. Once you've decided whether you want to follow Tight Regulation (TR) or Start Low Go Slow (SLGS), then put either TR or SLGS in your signature. It'll help us help you faster with questions about dosing. As an aside, both of those dosing methods would say that you would stay with 1.0 units. Even the more conservative SLGS wants to see your lowest numbers between 90 and 149 and you haven't seen those yet.

You can get slow feeder pet bowls that might help with the scarf and barf. Glad to know he likes the wet! You should try to minimize the amount of food you feed 2 hours before the shot time. So a very low carb small snack is fine, but not a full meal. The insulin effect is starting to wain in the last half of the cycle after nadir, and any amount of food will slow it down even more, likely reducing insulin duration and giving you higher preshots. And yes, I know how hard it is to change a cat's habits when it comes to food.:p