3/25, Susie, 232 AMPS, Back to Normal!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Mar 25, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-24-susie-244-amps-loss-of-appetite.245156/

I'm so happy to say that Susie is "back to normal". Ate all her dinner and late evening snack last night. Ate all her breakfast this morning and was purry and didn't want to sit still when testing and shooting. She wanted her breakfast! I do not know what happened but am noting this was the second time this has happened with her appetite. I'm cancelling her vet appt. this morning. I do want to have her blood chemistry rechecked but vet thought she might have better numbers when her glucose came down. I am hoping that too. She is dropping more at night than during the day (unfortunately).

Best wishes to all kitties and their beans!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I'm glad she is back to normal and eating well. Whenever you do find yourself at the vet next, consider asking for some anti-nausea meds to keep on hand. I have both cerenia and ondansetron on hand for Butters, and that alone brings peace of mind. It is so important for cats to eat because they can easily develop fatty liver, which is a serious illness.

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Good point, Lyla. I'll look back at the post to see the form they both come in. I'm trying to avoid pills with her swallowing problem. Would prefer a solution to syringe or an injection if the vet will let me do it.

You may have already said, or someone may have already said, what do you roll your pills in to keep them from being dry? I think FrostD or Carfurby said cream cheese but what do you use?

What is the mg I should be looking for with cerenia? 16mg? How come I am only seeing cerenia for dogs? What is the maker, or brand, of the cerenia you use for cats?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

OH.... but what I really want to say is that I am soooo excited to hear that Susie is back to normal today. I remember she did this to you once before recently (and she wouldn't come out of your bedroom). Good idea about anti-nausea meds on hand. I do hope you will get the liver enzymes checked again. Did you ever go back to using the milk thistle again. Wasn't that the last time that she stopped eating... you had just started the milk thistle and stopped it just in case it was causing the problem. That is right, isn't it? I'm worried that I've gotten this wrong and you'll be saying to me.... what are you talking about, Suzanne?

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear she's feeling better!

7. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Ruby stops eating every once in a while and it makes me very concerned for the reasons Lyla stated. Ruby had DKA when she was diagnosed with diabetes and I think it traumatized me a bit. Although we haven't figured out exactly why she does that, and I may never know for sure, having the meds helps. She seems to always snap out of it in a day or so and starts eating again with gusto. Hope Susie stays well! :bighug:

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

So you can give one full 16mg pill to a 14+ lb. cat once a day? A statement I read about it concerned me a little. It said "Cerenia should be used with caution in dogs with liver disease". With Susie's high ALT and AST readings I might be hesitant to give her this medicine not knowing what is going on with the liver. You mentioned something else, Suzanne. Some kind of bark from a tree? Do you have a link to where you get it? I think I would rather use something "natural" if I could.

9. Katherine&Ruby

10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Good memory, Suzanne! I had forgotten about the milk thistle and her not being interested in her food around the time I was giving her the thistle (3/16). She did start eating again after I stopped the thistle but would love to get her back on it if she will accept it. I might have to syringe it and I really don't want to. It would be just another "affront" to her body from me. Thanks for being excited about Susie feeling better. I will get her enzymes checked again. Just trying to get her glucose levels down first to see if that helps. The vet said he thought it might make a difference.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Melissa.

12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Which med do you use for Ruby? Cerenia or ondansetron? I read that you have to be careful using cerenia on dogs with liver disease so I am a little hesitant to try it on Susie. Also, if you use the cerenia do you give Ruby one whole pill (16 mg) a day?

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for the info. I would have to talk to my vet because I would need his approval for the prescription.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

We will pray for better glucose numbers for your adorable girl!

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Most average size cats take half a pill (8 mg.) some smaller ones get 1/4 of a pill (I've had some that small). Definitely you would need to check with your vet about it for the Rx... plus the vet would be able to tell you about any liver concerns.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes, that was the Slippery Elm Bark which can help a lot with all kinds of things (diarrhea, constipation, mouth ulcers, acid tummy and to some extent, nausea.) I think you have the link for info on it from Katherine. Plus loads of great information on it (and so many other things) are on the felinecrf.org website. It's useful for much, much more than just cats with chronic kidney disease. The site even has a lot of information on the use of Cerenia and Ondansetron in cats since so many CKD cats have to take those anti-nausea meds. The site is so well researched and has studies linked all over the place to back up the information on there. Have you ever looked at it before?

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Katherine, I totally "get" being traumatized about the DKA! I'm right there with you. If Darcy stops eating, I freak out (although in his case every single time it has meant his white count is high). He goes back to the vet next week for a re-check.

18. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

Summer, So Glad for you and Susie!!!
    Thanks for keeping an eye on us! Even while you have your hands full:)

Yes Tiger is a night dipper! Maybe it's because they are nocturnal (Bandit's mom's theory), I also read they are Crepuscular(active at dusk and dawn).
    We are hoping for some daytime green soon though!

Hope you and Susie have a lovely one!:bighug:

19. Summer and Susie (GA)

Just sent an email to my vets office about what this group recommends and reminded them about Susie's high blood test results on 3/1.

20. Summer and Susie (GA)

I have not heard of the felinecrf.org website. I will check it out. I did look at the link that Katherine sent.

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm sorry to see that Tiger is a night dipper. I don't sleep very well at night and have a hard time napping during the day so my nighttime rest is important. Somehow, I think all that is going to change.

Kathy and tiger likes this.
  22. Katherine&Ruby

Any drug you give to your pet must be used carefully and in consultation with a vet. I would not fixate on what the websites say about Cerenia and dogs with liver disease. This is about your specific cat and what your vet has to advise.

I use both Cerenia and Ondansetron and often at the same time because they work on different receptors that cause nausea. As I said I give her 8 mg of Cerenia, cutting a 16 mg pill in half, but you should following the guidance of your doctor for Susie's dose. I only use these medications when the slippery elm bark does not work. About one hour before Ruby eats, I follow the directions on the link I gave you to make a ball of the Slippery elm powder with the aloe drink and slide it into Ruby's mouth and she gobbles it up. Often I find the slippery elm does the job and I don't have to give her the pills.

23. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Katherine. I did email my vet office to see what they recommend and I mentioned that they need to look at the results of her blood test on 3/1. Would be nice to be able to use the Slippery elm. I'll look into it further.

24. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I know you're not asking me, but Mr Kitty gets 8mg Cerenia, but the vet ok'd a full 16mg if the 8mg doesn't seem to be doing enough. Can't speak to liver problem though

25. Summer and Susie (GA)

I always appreciate everyone's input, Melissa, and you have been very helpful. Thank you. Looking at Mr. Kitty's spreadsheet he is doing so much better than he was in January. Does he act any better? I used to think that Susie always had more energy and activity level when she was in higher numbers.

26. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Susie is back to normal. When I've given Cerenia I've cut the pills into quarters. I use a piece of a pill pocket when I give pills to my cats.

27. Summer and Susie (GA)

I haven't found anything but cat food that my Susie will eat so I don't know how I'm going to get pills down her throat willingly.

28. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sometimes my cats will eat the pill pocket and sometimes they won't. When they won't have I have to shove it in the side of their mouth to get past the tongue so they won't spit it back out.

29. Summer and Susie (GA)

I dread having to do any pills but know that day is coming.

30. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

He never really acted poorly to begin with, he just stops grooming himself and starts peeing and pooping everywhere. I haven't seen a hairball in 6 months, you'd think that would be something to be happy about! Poor guy is relegated to laundry room, since that's biggest space we have without carpet...I got SO TIRED of cleaning carpet, replacing padding, and fixing the subfloor. I'm hoping these lower numbers mean I can let him roam the house again

31. Summer and Susie (GA)

I don't blame you for not wanting to constantly clean the carpet, replace padding, etc. Yesterday, when Susie wasn't eating, she was peeing on the carpet so I understand. Now that she is feeling better she has stopped. Praying that Mr. Kitty does better so he can get out of the laundry room. I know this must all be hard on you and Mr. Kitty.

FrostD likes this.
  32. Summer and Susie (GA)

Vet wanted $94.50 for four Cerenia and 1 small tube of Mirtazapine to rub on her ears. This is outrageous. I ordered 8 Cernia and the tube of Mirtazapine for $73.84. Still super expensive but why do vets charge so much? Hard to find the money for all things diabetic.