3/21, Susie, 255 AMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Mar 21, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

? - 3/20, Susie, 270 AMPS, 230 @+3 | Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

I'm horrified and embarrassed to admit this but I forgot to give Susie her shot last night at 6:00. I walked in this morning to test, shoot and feed and noticed a syringe still sitting on the shelf of my towel cabinet. This is where I put the syringes when I am testing. Anyway, I guess I was so floored with her pink that I just forgot to give her the shot. What a rotten time to forget.

I will leave the syringes "in site" from now on when testing. I'm surprised she was not a lot higher at AMPS this morning. Maybe her liver took over, in my absence, to protect her. I hope I didn't screw up her cycles now.

2. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

So sorry this happened :( don’t bit yourself though too much about it, it can happen to anyone, we are on constant alert for this not to happen :nailbiting::nailbiting: yesterday i noticed (luckily before shooting) that i had only 1.25 instead of 1.75 :banghead::banghead::banghead: God knows if i did that mistake before and didnt notice it at all :confused::confused:

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Marina. Kicking myself. That will never happen again!

4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Just call it a fur shot. Many of us have done them at one point or another, me included. Remember to change your spreadsheet last night: remove the 1.5u since you didn't give it and you can even write "fur shot" in there instead. That way we know Susie didn't get insulin.

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Good Morning Susie, don't beat yourself up...it happens to everyone. I used to have to set a timer to remind me to give Luci her shot!! Yes, a timer to get the process started and then another one 15 minutes later to remind me to give the shot.

I realized that I needed all these reminders one day when I remembered that I'd left Luci in the pantry eating her 'test/feed/ food....OMG! It was an hour later!! :rolleyes:

She'll be fine...just pick up where you left off...it happens.

Maybe some extra timers to remind you...until you get the hang of it...or maybe forever... LOL :joyful:

Have a great ay!

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

Just fixed my spreadsheet.

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Sue. I used a timer every day when I was doing the Vetsulin so I would remember to give the shot 20 - 30 minutes after Susie's food. Don't use a timer now because I take the test materials, her food and her syringe in all at the same time. I can't believe I forgot it but will set it someplace where I will see it at ALL times during the testing and feeding.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't be hard on yourself. It happens. I once found a syringe full of insulin and didn't know if I had missed the AM or PM shot from the day before. :bighug:

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

You are so sweet, Carla. Thanks for letting me "off the hook". I will never do that again.

10. Marina & Chico

It is very curious that theNS didnt’t cause higher values :bookworm::bookworm: maybe that means that her pancreas works? I would ask the more experienced what does that mean but it cannot be bad :)

did you shoot yesterday morning? The cell is empty

11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, I corrected me spreadsheet. I absolutely was not going to miss another shot unless/until her numbers get really low. It is interesting that her numbers didn't get thrown out of whack after missing the shot and she had a pretty low AMPS this morning (227) and I think I might see a blue although I'm going for my COVID shot right around her nadir time so might miss the +6 test. Hope Chico is in a safe range now.

12. Marina & Chico

you can always replace the +6 with +5 :) Good luck with the Covid shot

Chico is fine, he didn't go below 50 yet :) We are waiting for that in order to be able to decrease the dose. He likes keeping us on our toes though, very close but not yet :D

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

I don't know how you do it. I would be terrified with numbers in the 50's but, maybe with time, I will get more comfortable with the thought. Thanks for the well-wishes on the COVID. I tried for five weeks to get my 89 year-old Mom in for her first shot (which she has had) and didn't want to go through that again for myself. Good to hear Chico is fine.

14. Marina & Chico

5 weeks for an 89 year old to get the first shot? that is sooo slow :( here we hope that all above 60s will have a shot at least before the summer :facepalm:

You do get used to low numbers with time. I remember when we had our first yellow preshot we were terrified, the same happened with the first blue preshot and we are still getting comfortable with the green ones. More than with the low numbers though you get used to the way your cat reacts to insulin at these values and here the huge benefit of Lantus's flatness kicks in. We know that the first few hours after the shot he decides how low he will go and from there on we know he will just stay flat. We learned as well how he reacts to carbs so we feel relatively confident (antijinx) that he reacts in a certain way to food and to honey and when he goes lower than we wish he did we just "correct" that value with food.

if you look on our spreadsheet you will see how aggressively we were intervening to first time low values in the beginning, on the 5/3 we measured under 100@1 for the first time, i freaked out so much that i gave him half a tea spoon of honey, he went into the blues for 4 hours because of it haha the second time we just did a drop and so on :)

I am sure that you will get more comfortable with time with lower values as well, it is a matter of when not if :)

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I've almost forgotten to give Darcy his shot before. I went right ahead to feed him and just forgot. It was my daughter who noticed the syringe sitting on the counter still... about 10 minutes later so it wasn't too bad. Now he gets 3 syringes most days (one for R and two for Lantus,) so it's not so easy to miss seeing those syringes lying around!

16. Summer and Susie (GA)

That makes me feel better. Thanks, Suzanne.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.