3/18 Max AMPS 240 +3 94 +4 71 PMPS 539 +1 494 +2 419 +3 295 +4 256

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Max & Lori, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

I got back into bed after amps and fell asleep. Last night I was trying to get him to come back up some so I could go to sleep. He had 9% feedings and snacks until I went to bed. I’m not sure how low he went but bounced because I see the +11 and amps was significantly higher. No food interfering. When I woke up he was already down to 94.:D Now I need :coffee::coffee::coffee: to get my eyes open.:) Happy Caturday!
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-10-224-pmps-241-1-5-257.275370/#post-3055959

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice recovery today. I hope Max keeps surfing safely.

Max & Lori likes this.
  3. Max & Lori

Hmmm. Looks like he’s bounced again. The PMPS may be a bad one. He may need the R tonight @Wendy&Neko but not sure what from how it’s looking but we will see. If you are around tonight of course, if not no worries.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think if he's over 300 at PMPS time, the same dose of R is worth a try. Same testing as before for first 4 hours. I will be around on and off, spring has sprung and the garden is calling.

Max & Lori likes this.
  5. Max & Lori

Okay awesome. Thank you. Glad you finally got some nice weather! Enjoy your gardening. I love doing that too.

6. Max & Lori

+11 is 459 horrible bounce. He’s definitely getting R and I may give his PMPS 15-20 mins earlier. I know that may act like an increase but he needs all the help he can get. Hopefully he won’t dive, but I will watch.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  7. Max & Lori

Just kill me now.:arghh:

8. Wendy&Neko

Ouch! 15-30 minutes early is OK, won't impact him by feeling like an increase.

Max & Lori likes this.
  9. Max & Lori

Okay, I was trying to go ahead and get the insulin in him before it got any higher! I thought 20 minutes would be okay. Just hoping he doesn’t dive and bounce that high again. That’s terrible!

10. Wendy&Neko

He's already gone down more than 100 points. Do you have any MC you could give to try to slow him down a bit?

I was looking at the night of 2/22, and there he seemed to be coming down on his own after PMPS, even before the insulin onset. Not sure if that's what's happening underneath the R tonight.

Max & Lori likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

I think that if you want to, next time you see a +11 like you did today, clearly skyrocketing, you could try R then. Same 0.1 units if over 300.

Max & Lori likes this.
  12. Max & Lori

Yes I have some MC. I will give it to him. I was surprised at that +2 that he came down that much. Last time we tried it he didn’t. He is a tough one to figure out. Maybe he is coming down on his own and the R on top of it, but how would I have known that he would do this?

13. Max & Lori

I guess since he dropped to fast he will have another bad bounce in the morning. Should I check a +10 or +11 tonight and give him R if he does? Like if it’s already over 400?

14. Wendy&Neko

Let's see how the rest of the R cycle goes first.

Max & Lori likes this.
  15. Max & Lori

I gave him MC 30 mins ago and just checked a +3 and he’s down to 295! Well it was almost at +3, I checked a few mins early. I was anxious.

16. Max & Lori

I gave him more MC. Maybe I didn’t give him enough earlier. The Lev must be at onset.

17. Max & Lori

I’m trying to figure out what I could have done better to prevent him dropping too fast with the R. If I’m sure he’s bouncing and he’s that high go ahead and give it @+10 or +11 like you said. Then I won’t have onset of Lev and the R peaking at the same time? I don’t know. Just thinking out loud, but I may be wrong.

18. Wendy&Neko

Sorry, elderly neighbour locked herself out of her house. Back now.

Max likes to plummet between +2 and +3. You are right that you don't want the onset and R peak at the same time. Next R experiment I'd try at +11 if over 300 and clearly rising. At some point that might even shift to +10. But try the +11 first.

Looking at this cycle, and comparing to the last time you used R, both were to cap a bounce. But the first time he was only to pinks at preshot time, and kept going on up, so R helped slow that down. It seems when Max really rises a lot (like he also did on the 2/22), he does come down on his own fairly quickly, but not always. :rolleyes: Looking at 2/18 or 3/08 PM, he shot up over 400 at PMPS, but was very gentle coming down. That would have been a good cycle for R. Now we need to, as DH called it "read the tea leaves" of the spreadsheet, and see if we can see patterns when it's not a good idea to use R, and when it is. Basically, what patterns lead to higher numbers that don't plummet right away.

I'll gaze at Max's SS a bit more, and see if anything leaps out.

I wouldn't shoot R at the end of this PM cycle. You can get into a viscous cycle of shooting R, causing bounce, shooting R. Let's let it settle down first and wait for the following opportunity.

Max & Lori likes this.
  19. Max & Lori

Okay. I understand. I’ve been studying his SS as well and he is so unpredictable at times that it makes my head spin. I won’t use R at the end of this cycle as you suggested. I understand. Thanks for your time on this. I really think it would help him if we could figure out the best time to do it. I hope he won’t bounce too high in the morning but he probably will knowing Max. Thanks again.

20. Wendy&Neko

Learning when to use R is a slow and sometimes frustrating process. Cats can react quite differently, which is one of many reasons we don't have a dosing method for it. It really is based on slow trial and error. First time I used R with Neko, she was flat high red for 4 hours, so I called it a night. Woke up to a green at +9.5. :eek: I discovered that her R onset was quite a bit later than the +2 of most other cats.

Max & Lori likes this.
  21. Max & Lori

Well he’s already back up to 285. I must have overdid it on the MC when I gave him another round of it at 16%, so that probably didn’t help things. I feel like I didn’t handle this cycle well at all but I guess I will learn. It’s true ECID and Max must be one of the challenging ones. He is for me anyway.