3/16 Apache amps303,+2 300,+8 323,pmps328,+2 277,+6 229,

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Apache & Ric, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

2. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Good Morning Ric,
    I know that urge to increase and I've been told to put on my patience pants :). Apache is just bouncing from the string of blues and from dipping her toes in the greens.
    From the sticky:
    • Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).
    This is only cycle 3 since the greens. Lets give it a little more time. :bighug:

3. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

The only thing that has me thinking is. The reduction to .75 was immediately after the reduction to 1 cycle. Couldn't the 89 reached for reduction to .75 at +1 just be a bleed over from the previous shot ??? I'm just thinking it was too soon to reduce again...in just one cycle

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  4. Angela & Cleo

It absolutely could be! However, with SLGS you take every reduction under 90, even in back to back cycles. Its in the interest of safety.

You do have the option of lowering the reduction point. @Deb and Sylvester is also following SLGS dosing and she uses BG under 70 as her reduction point for Sly. I wouldn't suggest that for you just yet since Apache is relatively new to Lantus so taking the back to back reductions at 90 is erring on the side of caution and safety.

Bounces are great times for the CG (caregiver) to do something other than test and feeding the curve :)

5. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Hold fast!
    I'll leave at this dose for a while. Looking at data the few times she's bounced , the numbers slowly decreased again. Now they are rising a bit.
    I don't want to go to 70reduction SLGS is fine. Just want to get her back in blue.

6. Angela & Cleo

She's only been on Lantus for 8 days and look how many times she saw blues :cool: and greens :D.

Me Too!! She'll get there.

7. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I would strongly discourage considering this possibility for Apache as well.

Ric, are you still using a pet meter?

I believe Deb is using a human meter. A 70 on a human meter is not equivalent to a 70 on a pet meter (human meters run lower, meaning there is more “cushion” at 70 on a human meter).

Ric, you’re doing a great job. Your question about the back-to-back reductions is completely understandable, but SLGS guides us to hold the dose for now. Time will give you the answer. :)

8. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Considering I have 4 different pet meters. Yes I'm still using a pet meter

9. Angela & Cleo

You are 100% right! Thank you for catching this and clarifying especially with a pet meter. :)
    I think so too.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  10. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

I am using a human meter.

With my last diabetic kitty, we used the AT2, I never let him fall below 85, and if he did I would skinny the dose.

@Apache & Ric stick with the current dose for now, he's going to bounce like Angela said. Its normal. Look at Sly's SS, when we started I couldn't get him to hold in the yellows!

Also, try using the human meter regularly. I still have my AT2 and strips, but only use it when a reading is very low or very high.

Apache & Ric and Angela & Cleo like this.
  11. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

You would take a 0.25u reduction following SLGS anytime you get a cycle with BG under 90. There is no concept of back to back reductions with SLGS, that is something specific only with following TR.

As for personalizing SLGS, yes some caregivers choose to do this. I agree with JL, given that you are using a pet meter, and where you are at in terms of newly gathering data to see how she responds to carbs and insulin, to consider a lower reduction point doesn’t give you much room for safety. And more to the point, I’ll add a few clarifications.

Changing the reduction threshold should not be undertaken lightly by a caregiver, since there are inherently risks in doing so. That is one of the reasons why I try and offer some guidance when I see the topic of making adjustments to SLGS, particularly when a caregiver perhaps has not gathered enough data on how the insulin is working or how carb sensitive the cat is. If a caregiver can't answer these questions, IMHO, they shouldn't be personalizing SLGS:

-How much of a food bump does kitty usually get after their main meal?
    -How easy is it to bring your kitty up when the numbers are lower? What carbs does it take, how carb sensitive is he/she?
    - do you feel you have a good idea of when your kitty onsets, nadirs and how much duration they get on a certain dose?
    - what is the reason for needing to modify the general guideline?

For caregivers who don’t have significant amounts of data and a really really really good understanding of how their cat responds to insulin and carbs I also personally wouldn’t be suggesting to a new caregiver the “option” to personalize SLGS. When a caregiver chooses to personalize, that’s on them and they take on that risk since they are ultimately responsible for their own cat.

Just my 2 Canadian cents for what they are worth.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  12. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member