3/10 Darcy, AMPS 475, +3 389, +4 346, +9 396, +11 399

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne & Darcy, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Well, I went to bed to yellows but woke up to red. :-( He was at 475 at AMPS, so I gave him 8 units of the R (which is one more unit than yesterday.) It's knocked him down almost 100 points, so I guess that was a good call. He's a tiny bit lower at +4. I feel like I don't know where to go from here, since I'm not giving any more than one full syringe of 30 units of R.

Updating now for the afternoon: Got back home at +9. He was at 396. I went ahead and gave 8 units of R. I will be home for the next 5 hours so I think it will be fine. Even if he dropped 200 points (which is highly unlikely) he'd have plenty of more room to drop (like 150 more) before we would be in trouble. So I thought I'd see how it goes. Normally, I would have given it at +6. His a.m. Lantus should be starting to diminish it's action at this point. Thanks for all the hugs. Darcy likes hugs!
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...3-331-4-278-6-301-7r-9-5-241-pmps-254.244403/

I hope everybody has a great Wednesday.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Reason for edit: update
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry about the bounce. :rolleyes: R took him down more like 130 points. Mid cycle R the next step? We did have one member who eyeballed 31 units in her syringe as her max.

Levemir the next step?

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I think so. We can’t but try. I have to confess to feeling depressed. I’ve been reading through some of the stories of the acro cats on this forum. It’s got me very sad. Many of the cats have had so many problems associated with the disease. I am determined that I am going to get him the SRT. Maybe in the summertime? But even if we do it, I was reading that it may only buy him 18-24 months? I wonder what the updated statistics are on that. I can’t let his body be destroyed by this disease.

4. Suzanne & Darcy

I won’t be home during most of the mid day or this evening. So I will see what happens without the R mid day. It will be around +9 when I get back home.

5. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: It's so hard reading other stories. He is so lucky to have such a caring mama. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

{{{Suzanne & Mr. Darcy}}} Sending strength and hugs to you both:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What happens with acrocats is very much ECID. In my time here I've seen twos cat go 4-5 years with nothing but insulin. Karen's Lily went OTJ last year after getting up to 55 units, and no treatment but insulin. Here is her last post if you want to look at the spreadsheet. She's been OTJ over a year now, diagnosed in 2015. As I posted on the other forum, I've also seen cats get treatment then get another disease and pass from that. All we can do is what we can do, the rest is really up to the cat and the tumour and anything else that may be happening in their body. There are no guarantees. Not an acro story, but Neko's buddy was in remission from SCL when he got pancreatic cancer. Life just isn't fair sometimes.:bighug:

Giving cabergoline now is a good way to slow progression of the disease if you think you'll be able to swing SRT later. I haven't heard any recent life expectancy numbers after SRT. The two year time frame I heard from CSU was for all cats and included cats passing from other conditions. I've seen cats as old as 15 get treatment.

8. Suzanne & Darcy