2 Failed Libre Applications

Brittanif

Member Since 2026
Edited to add: I just found the FB group for Libre and read the tutorial. The recommendation is to do it on them when they’re standing. I guess that’s what I’ll try next time. I would have deleted this post but I’m not seeing the option.

I had the vet supervise me in Libre application a couple of weeks ago. I put the sensor on the dorsolateral thorax just behind the shoulder blade, and it was amazing. Sensor stayed on for 2 weeks with no problem. When applied at the vet, she didn’t move at all. I had given her gabapentin that morning but she was at the vet all day for an ultrasound so I think it wore off by the time I applied.

I tried my first home application on Wednesday and thought it went really well, but she did jerk right when it was applied, even though my boyfriend was holding her. I gave Gabapentin several hours prior to this application. That sensor was a complete failure and kept me up all night saying her numbers were dropping (they weren’t).

I resolved myself to try again yesterday- I’ve had less success getting her to take gabapentin so she didn’t get a very big dose. We worked hard to make her comfortable (lots of treats and catnip so she literally just laid down on her own). She jerked again right when the sensor was applied, and within the hour it took to activate it was already giving error messages.

Manual readings are not easy for either of us and the Libre really gave me peace of mind. The vet tech had applied it in a terrible spot initially and the expense and trauma of taking her to the vet for every application seems just as stressful.

I’ve read the Libre resource here but it makes it sound so easy.

What can I do? I’m ready to give up.
 
Last edited:
Edited to add: I just found the FB group for Libre and read the tutorial. The recommendation is to do it on them when they’re standing. I guess that’s what I’ll try next time. I would have deleted this post but I’m not seeing the option.

I had the vet supervise me in Libre application a couple of weeks ago. I put the sensor on the dorsolateral thorax just behind the shoulder blade, and it was amazing. Sensor stayed on for 2 weeks with no problem. When applied at the vet, she didn’t move at all. I had given her gabapentin that morning but she was at the vet all day for an ultrasound so I think it wore off by the time I applied.

I tried my first home application on Wednesday and thought it went really well, but she did jerk right when it was applied, even though my boyfriend was holding her. I gave Gabapentin several hours prior to this application. That sensor was a complete failure and kept me up all night saying her numbers were dropping (they weren’t).

I resolved myself to try again yesterday- I’ve had less success getting her to take gabapentin so she didn’t get a very big dose. We worked hard to make her comfortable (lots of treats and catnip so she literally just laid down on her own). She jerked again right when the sensor was applied, and within the hour it took to activate it was already giving error messages.

Manual readings are not easy for either of us and the Libre really gave me peace of mind. The vet tech had applied it in a terrible spot initially and the expense and trauma of taking her to the vet for every application seems just as stressful.

I’ve read the Libre resource here but it makes it sound so easy.

What can I do? I’m ready to give up.
I’m sorry to hear it didn’t go well 😭
I’ve never applied them with Ivy standing up. I always have her lying on her towel or in her bed and I try to apply it to the side of her spine, never on the spine, below the shoulder blade area.

***My best tip is that I have is to have a toothpick handy and as soon as I press the Libre on, I keep holding it down, and I gently take the tip of the toothpick and hold down that little paper Libre disc firmly down while lifting off the cap of the Libre.
That holds the Libre in place well and does not pull off when I pull the cap off.

I then cover it with a Tegaderm clear patch and then I take a toothpick, and I put a small hole into the Tegaderm whete that little hole is in the Libre, so that I can breathe, I just uncover that little hole area.

I’m glad you found the Facebook group. They have lots of great information.
And yes, you get better at it with each time you practice doing it.

When you said the Libre was showing her numbers dropping on Wednesday, were you able to verify that they were steady with a manual test?

By the way, you can request a free replacement for the failed Libres. Just never say it’s for a pet. You can do the request online (or call Abbott).
You need the serial number on the box or recorded in the phone (for the last 2 sensors). You don’t need to have kept the sensor or return it.
Always save the boxes until you’re done with the Libres after the 2 weeks you hopefully get with the sensor.
Hang in there 🥰
 
I’m sorry to hear it didn’t go well 😭
I’ve never applied them with Ivy standing up. I always have her lying on her towel or in her bed and I try to apply it to the side of her spine, never on the spine, below the shoulder blade area.

***My best tip is that I have is to have a toothpick handy and as soon as I press the Libre on, I keep holding it down, and I gently take the tip of the toothpick and hold down that little paper Libre disc firmly down while lifting off the cap of the Libre.
That holds the Libre in place well and does not pull off when I pull the cap off.

I then cover it with a Tegaderm clear patch and then I take a toothpick, and I put a small hole into the Tegaderm whete that little hole is in the Libre, so that I can breathe, I just uncover that little hole area.

I’m glad you found the Facebook group. They have lots of great information.
And yes, you get better at it with each time you practice doing it.

When you said the Libre was showing her numbers dropping on Wednesday, were you able to verify that they were steady with a manual test?

By the way, you can request a free replacement for the failed Libres. Just never say it’s for a pet. You can do the request online (or call Abbott).
You need the serial number on the box or recorded in the phone (for the last 2 sensors). You don’t need to have kept the sensor or return it.
Always save the boxes until you’re done with the Libres after the 2 weeks you hopefully get with the sensor.
Hang in there 🥰
Hi thank you. The problem is the second the device clicks in, she jerks and breaks the filament.

The device was saying basically 0 and she had no symptoms but yes I confirmed with a manual test.

I have gotten several replacements already. :)
 
Hi thank you. The problem is the second the device clicks in, she jerks and breaks the filament.

The device was saying basically 0 and she had no symptoms but yes I confirmed with a manual test.

I have gotten several replacements already. :)
I never ever thought my cat would allow me to install a Libre. She’s very fractious (mostly at the vet) but she can be with me at times.
She’s really adapted to the routine of it.
I try to be as calm and collected as I can. I work quietly and as fast as I can.
(Make sure no tv is in or other noise distractions).
I hope it will get easier for you as you gain confidence and get more practice 🥰
 
I never ever thought my cat would allow me to install a Libre. She’s very fractious (mostly at the vet) but she can be with me at times.
She’s really adapted to the routine of it.
I try to be as calm and collected as I can. I work quietly and as fast as I can.
(Make sure no tv is in or other noise distractions).
I hope it will get easier for you as you gain confidence and get more practice 🥰
Thank you. ❤️
 
Back
Top