2/27 BuddyM: AMPS 135 | +2 70

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mariette, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Mariette

Mariette Member

Previously:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/02-25-buddym-10-111-amps-108.243700/

I skipped the early morning snacking the past two days and as expected Buddy has given me higher AMPS numbers. Yesterday the 144 may have been a bit food influenced. I'm not sure exactly whe he ate compared to the test. He started coming down already at shot time. This morning's 135 was fasting. So yeah, we're pretty much in the same boat we were when I decided to get him back on insulin to bring down those numbers.

I think I'm just going to ramp him off the insulin now slowly and keep up with the testing. See if the numbers will trend higher or not. It's feeling to me like Buddy is just comfortable running in these numbers. If he sticks to this range, is it okay? Will it do him harm to get numbers up to 150?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My opinion fwiw is that some run a little higher and some run very low. It’s an experiment worth trying. If he trends up you have your answer and I would not wait long to either take him back up or restart if you take him off insulin. If you wait too long he will likely be needing more insulin and might be harder to get to remission. This is just my opinion and others might very well disagree. Now that I likely totally confused you good luck with whatever you do.

Mariette likes this.
  3. Mariette

Mariette Member

Thank you Elise! That totally makes sense and is exactly what I was thinking too. Just keep tabs on him for a while longer. Get a fructosamine done as well.
    But right now my plan is to do the drop for the next week and then see how he goes without after that.

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I really wish he weren’t trending up. Before, he hit some pretty high blues and so he’s not quite that high yet.

Seems reasonable. He did look better on 0.25u but you were also giving a snack....right??? I know that the snack is just not sustainable if he won’t get up and eat it on his own. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Mariette

Mariette Member

I was consistent with the +9 snack at that time, yes. Unfortunately I got a bit burned out. I might just need a few nights of more sleep and could start it up again, but it can't be a long term thing. So maybe it's best to just monitor his numbers for a bit and decide based on if it's trending up or not. :bookworm:

6. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I will be cheering you and Buddy on either way!

Mariette likes this.
  7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with your decision. I hope you figure out what works for Buddy. :bighug:

Mariette likes this.
  8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Good luck, Mariette! I'm wondering if I will be faced with the same decision some time soon with Ruby.

Mariette likes this.
  9. Mariette

Mariette Member

Thank you Lyla, Carla, and Katherine! It's so nice to know Buddy andd I have a whole cheer squad supporting us!

It's not something I particularly want to do. But I think it's worth seeing what happens. I feel that if he's getting the same numbers off insulin than on, then it's not really worth keeping up the insulin. I had really hoped we could bring those morning numbers down but they're so stubborn!

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

IMHO, it’s a good idea because we know the food helps him but we also know you can’t do that every night. What we need is for Buddy to eat on his own out of the auto feeder!!!

I have some other thoughts, too, but let’s see where you get with this.

Mariette likes this.