2/25 Darcy, PMPS 394, +2 332, +5 365

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne & Darcy, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When you are around to monitor, you can try mid cycle R. Maybe 2 units to start, get a +2 and +4.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Our insulin bill is going to get big. Has anybody with an Acro cat, that you know of. switched back to ProZinc because of the reduced cost?

Also, what are the implications of a switch to Levemir. It's my understanding that a Levemir nadir is usually toward the end of the cycle. I mean, what are the implications for using R with Levemir?

4. Wendy&Neko

Not sure Prozinc is cheaper, and no, I don't know of anyone who has switched back or even been on as high a dose as Mr. Darcy on Prozinc. One of the ideas of using R, which is a cheaper insulin, is to use it to reduce the amount of L being used.

I prefer R with Levemir, cause usually the R action (if given at PS) is out of the way by the time the Levemir onsets. You don't have to worry so much about the two insulins overlapping. And since you don't worry about the overlap, you might be able to give a higher dose of R and not worry about big drops from combined action. I do know of 2 members who decided they'd hit the max dose of L they wanted to pay for and just used R for the rest. One stopped at one syringe, the other of two syringes of L.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

This cat is just determined to stay as close to 400 as possible today! I'm frustrated. I feel very tired and it's only a little after 6 p.m. I think it's just this whole thing with Darcy wearing me down emotionally, that's all.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

I can purchase one 10 mL vial of ProZinc for $108 from Chewy pharmacy. The Lantus will now cost me $294 to refill a 10 mL vial. Lev costs more. I think I will go ahead and refill the Lantus, ask my vet for an Rx for Lev... send that Rx off to Mark's in Canada for filling in the future, then I will be able to get the Levemir filled at a later date. This may be a good idea since my Lantus is going to run out very soon and it looks like I'm going to be supplementing with R at times. I do still have some ProZinc vials in the refrigerator that may still be not expired.

7. Wendy&Neko

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I know how hard it is emotionally to see so little progress. Just know, that out there is a dose that will move Mr. Darcy.

Most of the acroparents in the US buy from Marks.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes, I want to purchase from Mark's. I used to purchase my Leukeran from a Canadian pharmacy when my cat had SCL. It was soooo much less expensive and real Leukeran. I wish I had known about Mark's then, they also sell it I see from their website. And just the other night, I was looking up a price for Xarelto for a friend whose cat needs it just the other night. I recommended Mark's to her. They have it at much less cost. She was afraid that she could not afford it.

Now if only I could figure out a way to get testing supplies sent to my Canadian friends because I understand that the strips are much more expensive there, while the insulin is less expensive.

9. Wendy&Neko

Marks still does a hefty markup on insulin, it's cheaper OTC. Definitely much more expensive testing supplies here. I used to cross border shop. I live close to the border and had a US mail box. Not possible to visit it in these times. :(

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Increase for tomorrow? 2 units?

11. Suzanne & Darcy

I went ahead and did a 2 unit increase for today and in fact just gave 3 units R at +4. I hope this works. He was at 415 at +4. I’ll make a new post for today soon.