2/21 Zoot! AMPS=94 +3=132; +6=126; PMPS=125, +3=88

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Zoot. I hope he surfs safely today.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I have a TR question - I reduced his dose to 1.25 units on 2/18 PM because I felt 1.5 was too high. However, I was told Zoot! didn’t “earn” that reduction. Does that matter at this point in terms of counting cycles or making future adjustments?

He has been doing well on the 1.25 units for 2 ½ days with most of his readings under 100 and nadirs more consistently in the 50-80 range. I am hoping this continues at the current dose.

My question is how many cycles do I stay at this dose before he earns a reduction?

The sticky says unless he drops below 40 (long term diabetic) – where I would immediately reduce the dose by 0.25 unit - the rule is “Alternatively, attempt a reduction when the cat regularly has its lowest BGs in the normal range of a non-diabetic healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL) while staying under 100 mg/dl overall for at least one week.”

I want to be clear about this instruction - when it says “under 100 overall”, does that mean that every reading should be under 100? I ask because he threw up one day and his numbers shot up temporarily as a result, so does that mean I have to restart counting cycles after that incident, or does "overall" mean that there can be an occasional reading above 100?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I should have read the sticky first :)...see second post below this.

Okay - I don't consider him newly diagnosed since he has been on insulin for 9 months, but that is a good point. When does he become an long-term diabetic? Thanks for pointing that out!

6. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

after i replied to you, i felt like you had already seen it and i was just telling you what you already knew! phew!

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  8. Bandit's Mom

more than 1 year since diagnosis.

Si am cat mom and Cinnie Cole like this.
  9. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

I think you can attempt a reduction when they are staying under 100, with mostly numbers being in the 50-80 range. Otherwise, they only get a reduction when they earn it by going under 50. And they are considered long term diabetic after one year of being diagnosed.

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Although he didn't officially earn that reduction, he got one and has done pretty well considering. You may want to put a note about why you reduced for those who may come along and not understand why - sometimes we reduce for travel, being unable to test for various reasons (myself included in that group)...so just for a point of reference on your SS - it'll be there.

I think he was making you a bit nervous at the time and you reduced...however if you had not (hindsight being 20/20) it's most likely he would have dropped below 50 that next day and would have 'officially' earned that reduction...either way, it appears that he's getting a good dose. Be watchful of increasing numbers - but for now, I'd stay with that dose for a while - he's looking good on it. If he has a steady showing of greens then you'll want to start counting the days (as per the sticky above) and then plan for your first reduction based on long term greens. It takes time...just be patient and let's see how he does on this dose.

Have a great evening!
    Yes...one year...although I felt like after six months or so, I was feeling 'long term'...what a job, huh?

Cinnie Cole and Sarah and Blaze like this.
  11. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Will do and you said it!