2/19 Pearl AMPS 86....PMPS 122, +3.25 79 Pred is the culprit

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Feb 19, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

tiffmaxee and JaxBenji like this.
  2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yay Pearl! So glad she's feeling better :bighug: Hope you both have a wonderful day!

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Feeling better and pretty in green!:):D

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

What lovely numbers!

You are doing a great job. This dose is about perfect for now, and it's so nice you were on top of her flare from pancreatitis.
    Be warm! Scritches and a kiss on the nose for Pearl dolly.

5. Margaret (and Pearl)

I've been giving Pearl the Pred every 4th day now, really want to eradicate it completely but so nervous what will happen if I do (it's for asthma and breathing issues).

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What dose of pred are you giving now? Any chance of reducing it? Just because I could, for a former non diabetic cat on pred, I would BG test him occasionally. I notice his "normal" came down about 30 points when we went from 10 mg to 5 mg of pred.

7. Margaret (and Pearl)

Hi Wendy! THanks for your message!

Her dose is only 2.5 mg every 4th day (was every 3rd day and before that 2nd day etc). At times in the past has been on daily. Long story of how she has come to need the pred - we went through almost a year of lots of breathing problems (while she was already on significant asthma treatments etc) that culminated in IBD and some focal peritonitis - she lost her 2 kitty sisters within 5 months of each other and Pearl developed a lot of medical issues (the asthma and chronic pneumonias is however long standing). Every time I try to get her off teh Pred completely she has to go back on b/c of breathing. This right now is the best I've ever gotten her successfully.

But I do notice (today) after giving the Pred, she is blue and not green. So I am wondering how hwe pattern will look at the blue wears off. She has only just started in all greens, and just come through a pancreatitis attack that took about a week to resolve. I really want to try without the Pred completely. Complicated little baby!!!

8. Wendy&Neko

I was wondering if the 2.5 mg could be reduced a bit more. I am currently tapering a kitty who is down to 1 mg though daily. More and she gets eye ulcers. :(

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

I don't know much about how her level of Pred affects her BG yet. Do you think the 2.5 every 4thish day would affect more, or trying 1.25 going back to every 3rd day or so (I've only just started every 4th day so can't do 1.25 and 4 days, I don't thiiink)?

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I will let Wendy respond on the pred.

I believe there are some other options for feline asthma than using pred. I think there are some inhalers made for felines that affect the BG less. I’m glad she’s doing so well!,

11. Margaret (and Pearl)

Hi Marje!

Oh she is on the inhalers - she's on Flovent and Albuterol, for a couple years now. Also takes Cyphroheptadine year-round to help with the asthma and any allergies that could affect. The Pred gets added in for episodes, when nothing else can control them. But now, since the other cats have flown over the rainbow bridge starting 11 months ago, I haven't been able to get a good handle on her episodes. She had pneumonia chronically from January - September 2020 as well as bad attacks. Then, in October developed IBD which took awhile to get under control (then, in Decmeber, FD). Historically I go through a lot of weaning processes to get her off, and was successful prior to a year ago. But in the last year it has been almost impossible and we have to go back on whenever she gets off due to a severe flare. So, currenlty I am in attempts again to get her off, but her ashtma and chronic pneumonia has worsened a lot in the last year and I don't know how successful I will be able to be.

PS - do you see how well your little protoge is doing?! Check out her GREEN streak! 2 entire days of green, I can hardly believe it!! I think if I can keep the Pred at a minimum or off, then she could be all green all the time!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  12. Marje and Gracie

:banghead: Duh....I see all that in your signature block. Sorry.....

She is doing fantastic! I’m so happy to see it. :):) Sweet Pearl!

13. Wendy&Neko

I don't have enough experience with pred and BG's, just know that sometimes a bit of experimenting needs to be done as cats seem to respond differently.

14. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks, Wendy, for this tip - to experiment. I will give it a go ;)

15. Margaret (and Pearl)

My dear lady! You're keeping track of hundreds (or maybe thousands) of cats!! I so appreciate your concern and fondness for my Pearlie q! Thank you for your input and your guidance!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thank you Jan!!

17. Marje and Gracie

Well...maybe at one time ;):smuggrin::smuggrin::woot::woot: