2/15 Fortune hospital update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RachelG, Feb 15, 2021.

1. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yesterday Fortune is still hospitalized, but his number are stable/improving.

His creatinine is down, doctor suspects due to the IV therapy and antibiotics helping. He is reported as being "feisty" which hurts my heart - he is such a lover, just needs "good" attention. His appetite is still very good (my boy!) and the pictures they sent I can see that they used an empty food bowl to get him to look at the camera, lol.

We are looking forward to seeing him at 6pm today. Doctor believes a low phosphorous "kidney diet" would be good for him, and potentially subQ fluids at home. They may want to keep him another two days to see his numbers plateau before going home. We may also get the biopsy and urine culture results while he is there.

His BG his higher today (300s-400s) but was 100 before insulin this morning. Which is not different from what we have seen at home, though I am happy to hear that he is not in the 500s anymore.

I'm worried about his spirit in the hospital. He is still in the ICU which is noisy/busy, and is likely not great for him resting and being less stressed. DH spoke to the doctor while I was at my own dr appt, so will be asking these questions tonight.

Treating doctor is a criticalist - is that normal? Does this mean his prognosis is not good and they haven't discussed it because they are focused on getting him stable?

2. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

I don't know enough to answer your questions, but I'm sending support and healing vines your way. Hang in there.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The vet is a criticalist because of all his issues which are complicated I think. Don’t read anything into that except that his vet is very experienced.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I came here to update my daily post numbers and saw this... so immediately came here to read your post instead :) I think that the numbers sound encouraging. Yes... it is very distressing for you, as his mama, to have him away from you and worry about every little thing, including whether he is too stressed/in a noisy environment... that he is feisty, because you are not there etc. etc. I would be exactly the same as you. I do see some glimmers of good news in just the little bits that you have shared with us in your post though. And, even if Fortune is a sweetheart... eating and Feisty are all good. And an AMPS of 100 is good, too. He's going to be home with you soon!!

Definitely get EVERY piece of lab work or other test reports that they have done/are doing. Get a written ultrasound report. You are entitled to it all... including all of their notes in his file. You may need it and you can, at your leisure, read over everything, do research, ask questions of the vets or other people, etc.

I'm really excited about your visit today!! What time zone are you in, Rachel. I know that your visit was scheduled for 6 p.m. today, right? I'm just excited for you to update us on Fortune.

Hoping, praying, crossing paws...

RachelG likes this.
  6. RachelG

RachelG Member

@tiffmaxee this makes sense, thank you!

Yes I definitely do this! I need to make sure I get his BG curve, too - they are great about the digital records, but I want those BG numbers and times.

Thank you Suzanne, it really helps when someone else puts it in perspective! We are in EST, so just a few short hours til I get to kiss his face!! The doctor said she would call if there was something very concerning on the u/s, otherwise we would speak when we are there...and no call yet so hoping that is good news!

7. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Yeah! I’m on Eastern time too. I’ll be looking forward to your update for all of us! Kisses to Fortune!

RachelG likes this.
  9. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Best wishes for your visit and sending lots of healing vines to Fortune :cat:

RachelG likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Rache, I can't wait to hear an update when you go visit Fortune
    There is a member here that had a kitty with CKD and diabetes and she listed some
    wet foods that she would feed.I would have to give sub fluids to one of my kitties, not hard at all to do.
    If you want the list of foods just ask. Give him lots of kisses for us ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  11. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

RachelG likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Lyla, that's a good site, I was talking about the Weruva that @JanetNJ
    used to feed her kitty. Maybe she will see the tag and list them for Rachel
    @JanetNJ
    Thanks Janet

RachelG likes this.
  13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sending vines and prayers for Fortune :bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  14. Diane Tyler's Mom

https://weruva.com/nutrition-landing/pates-ni/

Found this from Weruva they are pates
    @RachelG

What you will be looking for are foods that are both low carb (under 10 percent) and low phosphorus (under 1 percent).

I'm trying to help Rachel out, she posted above her doctor suggested a low phosphorus
    diet would be good for Fortune. We all are aware he has diabetes.

I posted this site about Weruva foods, does she go by the As Fed Percentage or Dry Matter Basis when looking at the chart I gave her

@Deb & Wink

@Wendy&Neko

@Chris & China (GA)

@Bandit's Mom

@Critter Mom

Hope you didn't mind I tagged you ladies, Just trying to help her out and I always forget
    what we go by

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    RachelG likes this.
  15. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

RachelG likes this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

Rachel. I have been feeding my cats a food recommended for being low in phosphorus and carbs! It is the Weruva BFF pates. They are things like Topsy Turvey Chicken and Turkey, Chicken Checkmate... and another one that I have in the garaage but haven't even introduced them to yet. The all (ALL MY CATS.. and that is a LOT of cats...) LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff. Andrew Hall on the FB page for kidney disease recommended these to me. I checked them out and they are very good, high quality, low carb, low phosphorus.... which quite frankly is good for all cats. Cats do not need high phosphorus after they have grown their bones and aren't kittens anymore or lactating. Their kidneys just don't need to process all that phosphorus. Check these foods out on Chewy.com... I've been really pleased with them... we just started feeding them about a month or so ago. Hope this helps, Rachel!

Diane Tyler's Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  17. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg I have so many cases of Weruva food leftover from CC. I hope I can get at least some of it eaten by my cats. Lol. Soooo much money piled up there. Anyway this is what I was feeding.
    Weruva slide and serve pate foods Family Food (.97 phosphorus and 0 carb). Also Jeopurrdy Chicken (0.97 P 6.1 carb)

What a Crock 0.71 phosphorus and 8 carb lots of gravy so she loves it.

Goody stew shoes 0.71 phosphorus, 8.5 carb. This one is a big hit

Weruva Steak Frites (0.57 phosphorus 5.5 carb although I take out any big pieces of potatoes to try to limit the carbs just a bit)

Weruva LA isla Bonita - phosphorus 0.77 carb 4.5 (used to like, not a favorite anymore)
    Glam and punk 1% carb, 0.93 phosphorous.

Weruva paw lickin chicken 3.3 carb 0.82 p and
    Press your lunch 5.9 carb. 0.82 phosphorous

Bff play Laugh Out Loud chicken and lamb 7.7 carb, 0.82 phosphorous

BFF play destiny (chicken and duck) 0.87 phosphorus 7.7 carb

Bff play chicken cherish 0.71 phosphorus 7.6 carb

Bff play best buds chicken and beef 7.9 carb 0.9 phosphorus

Bff play chicken Checkmate. 7.7 carb 0.7 phos

New favorite On the Cat Wok 3.8 carb 0.74 phos

Diane Tyler's Mom and RachelG like this.
  18. RachelG

RachelG Member

We got to see our Fortune bunny! We had to visit him in the ICU, so the visit was limited due to COVID and we could take our masks off. But he was so bright and alert and energetic and it was so good to give him loving! I couldn’t kiss him which stunk, but we did lots of headbutts, rubbed his face, head and chin and body. He kept checking out who came in and out of the ward, and pacing around trying to get out of the cage/onto us. That mischievous curiosity is my Fortune, and it was so good to see him back!!

His levels are improving, and the doctor believes there was an event that caused his kidney to act up - likely the surgery :( Because of that, she does think he may improve. She wants to hold him another TWO days to see his numbers plateau, and then wean him off IV for 12 hours to make sure he can be stable at home, and understand if he will require subQ. While I’m really upset about not having him home, we are hopeful it will help him stay at home. And I’m hoping to convince them to give us a longer visit tomorrow. :)

Overall, Fortune keeps exceeding expectations!

There’s also a chance the biopsies may come back while he is in the hospital which would be convenient to get a consult without having to drag him back and forth.

The doctor did bring up the hemangiosarcoma and the fact that it will likely be the bigger issue for Fortune than CKD. I brought up that the oncologist did not give us a clear prognosis and the surgeon said he saw no sign of metastasis, however she said it likely had spread microscopically.

This was not a shock because it is consistent with what I have read online, however it was not brought up by the oncologist...The onc only talked about seeing metastasis during surgery, and the surgeon mentioned knowing more from the biopsy. I suppose she is trying to prepare us that we may only have months left with our boy.

I’m just focused on getting Fortune home feeling well and himself for as long as he can, and not being hospitalized this much ever again! He has been in the hospital for 10 days over the past two weeks, but our kitty is so resilient and seems to still have his spirit! I just pray he holds onto it.

Thank you for the food recommendations! I will dig into it to try and find something he loves when he gets home. We also want to put some weight back on this kitty!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    JaxBenji, SDAbby and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  19. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m loving yiur update. Sounds like a very good vet too. :bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  20. Suzanne & Darcy

It may be that he has an acute kidney injury, which can heal.... rather than CKD.

RachelG likes this.
  21. RachelG

RachelG Member

Adding pics of our smushy rabbit!!
    upload_2021-2-15_21-46-12.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-15_21-46-25.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-15_21-46-38.jpeg

22. Suzanne & Darcy

Rachel, please forgive me if I missed this... but does Fortune definitively have a hemangiosarcoma? I did not see this in your earlier in your communications. Laura and Gremlin had a hemangiosarcoma. But aren't you waiting on biopsy results? So glad you saw him tonight!!! Hugs!!

RachelG likes this.
  23. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great news and such sweet photos. I bet he was so happy to see you. I’m glad he’s doing well.

If you’ve never given subq fluids at home, we made this very detailed video for FDMB members.

RachelG likes this.
  24. RachelG

RachelG Member

He had a FNA that indicated the mass on his right kidney is hemangiosarcoma, and it would be consistent with his collapse last Wednesday 2/3 since it would have been the source of the non-regenerative anemia. The onc said that there is a chance it is something else and a small chance it is benign. Before the pathologist review the sample, the doctor though it was a blood clot potentially caused by a fall or trauma! It’s been a roller coaster.

The surgeon did take a biopsy of his liver as well during the nephrectomy and examined all of his other organs and saw no signs of anything malicious. So, we are waiting for the biopsy to confirm that it’s hemangiosarcoma and if it spread to the liver...

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

The update sounds promising , I so glad you got to visit with him again.
    He must have loved seeing you and your husband.
    He's such a good boy and such a fighter.
    I just want to hold him myself and love him up
    Praying the biopsies come back negative :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Suzanne & Darcy and RachelG like this.
  26. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh yes, of course. Forgive me. And they removed that kidney.

27. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Thinking of your family <3 <3 <3

RachelG likes this.
  28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Rachel, been praying for Fortune, any new updates ♥:bighug::bighug:

RachelG and Suzanne & Darcy like this.