1st Shot...But Then Got AMPS of 98? (81 at +4)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AvalonWitch, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

More or less what it says in the title. Roused myself from bed, took Shiro's AMPS and...got a reading of 98. I took a second one (yes, new, different spot) and got 68! W...what? Is that even possible? As i've said before Shiro's appetite has waned a bit as he adjusts to canned food but...I'm thinking my meter is broken. Or my strips compromised. Should I open the next pack of strips? Or...spontaneous remission? I've been spot checking him periodically throughout the week and he's been consistently in the mid 200s to high 300s. What could be going on here?

I put the Lantus pen, sealed, back into the fridge and gave Shiro half his morning serving of food but...i'm so confused!

2. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 1st Shot...But Then Got AMPS of 98? 68? What?!

Hi Ava-
    What meter are you using?
    Is there a control solution you can check and make sure the strips are good?
    I think it would be ok to open some more strips and see if you get a different reading.

Definitely a good idea NOT to give the first dose of insulin with those readings. Especially if he is not eating.

3. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

Using the ReliOn Confirm. My little sister had to test him once Friday while I was out and i'm concerned she might have messed with the strips. Unfortunately, ReliOn's control solution has not yet gotten to me. I sent for it almost a week and a half ago so I suppose we'll see then. Thinking of testing the people in the house with regular blood sugar to see if it's crazy off with them..or if his blood sugar really is that low. Sigh.

4. grapey

grapey Member

I have the same meter. Once I took Lily's blood and got 390, so I took it again and got 407! It was the same blood. Maybe it's just that normal percentage of error you get with any meter?? Not sure.

In any case, congrats on the great low numbers!!

5. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

I tested my control subject four times. I discarded the old strips after I got readings of 115 and then 98. I then opened up a new pack of strips and got 88 and 89.

Shiro only got half his morning food. So I briefly considered testing him again, feeding him and giving him the 1u. But what if the meter's off? I won't be home to start and monitor him on Monday so I could just keep spot checking him through Tuesday, which is the next day I could monitor him most of the day. Thoughts? Maybe the control solution will arrive by then.

6. carolynandlatte

Sounds like your strips are fine.
    I would hold off on the insulin, do some more checks thru the day, focus on getting him to eat well, and choose another day when you will be home to start the insulin.

I wonder if the diet change is starting to take effect? Wouldnt that be wonderful???

7. carolynandlatte

Btw...there is an approximately 20% meter variance between readings.
    So a 98 and 115 are pretty much the same.
    As is the the 390 and 470 grapey got on their tests.

I would dig the strips you tossed outta the garbage. :mrgreen:

8. Re: 1st Shot...But Then Got AMPS of 98? 68? What?!

You could test yourself to see if the meter/strips are okay.

Carl

9. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

old strips are fine. 20% variance. If appy not so good, would more than likely have lower BG. same drop of blood within seconds of testing will yield different #'s.
    I would skip this shot and just wait til PM to test and shoot again if needed. couls be responding well to the lower carb food

10. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

There were only about 5 strips left in there, luckily. I guess I'm a nervous mom - since the difference between Shiro's numbers was about 30% I wasn't sure if it was meter variance or not. But yes - I'll check him again in the PM. It'd be just like him to spontaneously remiss by responiding to the low carb diet right after we bought the insulin!

11. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Now that sounds just like something a cat would do. :D

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

12. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

I hope that is the case! That is what I wanted to happen with Pumbaa, but alas, has not.

13. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

Tested him just now prior to his 3rd feeding (we break his food up to 4x a day give or take a feeding depending on how much he ate.) I got two scores of 81 before eating and a 69 after (which, as you guys have said, is more or less the same score.) =___= I'll keep spot checking him throughout the week and wait for the control solution before declaring him diet-remissed. CATS I tell you!

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Food makes a HUGE difference! And it would be great if Shiro has decided to settle and not need any insulin.
    What you can do is the same as others whose numbers improve.... test at his shot times, as usual, am and pm, and record them. If you keep getting good numbers, then you may not need the insulin... just need to stick with the low carb wet food and Shiro should be fine.
    And if you find in awhile that Shiro's numbers are rising, then at least you have all that you need, the insulin and syringes and testing equipment!

15. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

awesome. would it not be great if he was food controlled

16. swandiver

swandiver Member

Ava, I'm hoping Shiro is following in the path of our Neo -- who positively responded to the change in diet. Keep up the good work, both of you! :RAHCAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.