1st day 1u x 2. 144 PMPS ??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SnowKat, Jan 17, 2020.

1. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...n-lantus-tomorrow-friday.224390/#post-2511044

Edward’s BG fell so beautifully into the perfect range after his first 1u dose this morning. He went from AMPS@282 to +7@108 nadir to PMPS@144. Vet said 1u x 2 daily. I think that is too much considering his PMPS BG. I just gave him 1/4u. I hope that’s not too much. Advice welcome. I’m going crazy thinking now that I’ve overdosed him. Should I have skipped?? Heck, if I hadn’t been testing I wouldn’t even be questioning this...

2. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

It's so good you are testing, yes! I think you made a good decision based on Edward's BG history, which doesn't exist yet!

He will likely continue to rise for another hour or two. Just keep checking - maybe a +1 to start to see the picture, and that might help you relax;). I wouldn't usually check until +2, but Edward is a brand new kitty to this - they can all be a bit different!

Si am cat mom and SnowKat like this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kathryn
    Well done getting the SS up and running and testing the BGLevels. That’s great!

Can you get some tests in during this cycle to see how low Edward goes please?
    I’m not sure how far you are into the cycle but if you could get a +2 that would be good and then we can see where he’s at. If you are further into the cycle, I’d get a test now.

The 144 was too low for you to shoot the full dose so early in the journey so it was fine to give 0.25 unit, or skip. If you get a low Preshot again, stall, don’t feed and post and ask for assistance.
    Lantus likes consistency so we don’t want to be changing the dose too often so let’s see what this dose does and then we can decide what dose to use moving forward.

Does Edward have a history of ketones?. Did the vet mention them at all on diagnosis?

SnowKat likes this.
  4. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

@Tina Marie and Jan and @Bron and Sheba (GA) thank you kindly for responding so late. I (or hubby Joe) will take his BG at +2. FWIW, Ed seems more like himself than he has been in at least a couple months!

Re: ketones... I haven’t checked but I have test strips. Should I worry? He’s never topped 330 BG as far as I know.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s always good to test for ketones in unregulated kitties. And if you skip a dose it is also a good move to test for ketones.

Judy and Freckles and SnowKat like this.
  6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

It feels so good to watch them begin to feel better:) I'm glad Ed is responding so well to the insulin.

SnowKat likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Kathryn Edward is pretty flat so far this cycle I would get a +5 just to check how Edward is going.