170 and shooting, need advice, please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Julie W, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Julie W

Julie W Member

Hi, Pepper had a PMPS of 170. His normal dose is 2U, when under 200 I've been only giving 0.25U, which doesn't do much. Tonight I gave 1U. Working on making sure he stays in safe ranges, but also want it to help. Also if anyone has any ideas of what may be going on with his numbers and stuff the last week?? On 11/21 I was on call at work, didn't get home until almost midnight and he was unable to eat for about 12 hours. I had left, planning on being back in a couple hours. So he missed his dose also. Then he threw up that night. Things have been out of whack since. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!!
    Julie and Pepper

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DbvDjFC7PFVM4g_d70x3mtE46mk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You're doing great Julie!! I'm so proud of you shooting the 1U tonight too! I know it's scary when you give insulin at those lower numbers, but the only way you can learn what happens when you try something different is to do it!

You've skipped and that didn't work well for him, you've given tiny token doses which didn't do much, so it was good that you gave the 1U token dose tonight. That's a 50% reduced dose which was a good decision!

Keep surfing those pretty blue's Pepper!!...maybe dip your toes into the green too but don't scare your mama by swimming out into shark filled waters!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Julie W

Julie W Member

Thank you! It is scary, because he bounces all over! He can drop 200, or only 50, never know. But i know he needs some, and the tiny dose wasn't really helping. So grateful for the help!!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Have you thought about getting a timed feeder, that would open automatically? That way, if your work day ends up being longer than you expected, Pepper will have something to eat. Lot's of people use the Petsafe 5. Yes, it can be used with wet food.

I think that 2U is too much for him.I think that 1.75U is too much too, as is 1.5U. (Ask 3 different people, get 3 different answers.)

I know you reduced the dose on 11/29/20 PM shot because of the low pre-shot, but Pepper dropped below 90 mg/dL in that cycle. That is an automatic dose reduction of 0.25U using the SLGS Prozinc dosing protocol.
    So trying either 0.75U or 1U for now would be my recommendation.
    Hold that lower dose steady for at least 6 (or maybe more) cycles, longer if possible and Pepper does not drop too low again. Too low would be <90 mg/dL.
    We need to find a dose that you can give Pepper the same amount of insulin for both AM and PM. It's one reason I'm saying to drop the dose so much.

It's easy to increase the dose when needed. He's not ready to stop insulin, he still needs some insulin as evidenced from the skipped shot on 11/28/20 and the bounce up to the red pre-shot at AMPS on 11/29/20.

Right now, I think that Pepper is bouncing up from those lows he is getting and/or bouncing up when he didn't get any insulin, and giving you those red BG range pre-shots.

Blacks = bouncing, reds = bouncing in almost every case. There are exceptions, like if someones cat is ALWAYS in the blacks at pre-shot test time. But that is not Pepper.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  5. Julie W

Julie W Member

Yes, I have one. I use it on the days I work and it feeds him about 11. I start out feeding him about 5:15-5:30. The day he went 12 hours I was on call. I had left to run an errand, planning to come back in an hour or two. I had fed him his 11:00 meal. While I was gone I got called in to work and didn't get back home until almost midnight. It was totally unplanned/unexpected. Ok, I gave the 1.5U tonight, but can go back to 1U in the morning, and hold there for a while. See how he does. Thanks!

JanetNJ and Deb & Wink like this.